Salvadorian first generation question

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Omargawsh

Salvadorian first generation question

Postby Omargawsh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:07 am

URM Salvadorian first generation/first from family to go to college

I have a UW (Unofficial withdrawal) on my transcript. It does not negatively effect my GPA but will law schools see that as an issue when applying?

I am currently a sophomore undergrad with a 3.02. I have slacked until this point and have really buckled down and hope to raise my GPA to a respectable number. Currently in my second semester and I'm shooting for pure A's and B's from here on out, but I'm wondering if even that will raise it high enough with a D on my transcript. If i do happen to achieve A's and some B's, will LS not focus so much on my early struggles and acknowledge my hard work and dedication? I'm hoping for some admiration on their part for my determination to do well after my lazy start. (Potential statement?) lol

My freshman year I ended up with a D in a class called Discover New York. This D is weighing my potential gpa down so much and I'm wondering if retaking the class would give me any leverage?

Other than that I'm hoping to get a 170+ on LSAT. I'm really confident on my ability to do well on the Reading Comprehension portion and am glad to hear that the LGs are something I can work on and hopefully perfect.

Aiming for a USC acceptance. I've grown up in Los Angeles and would love to come back to the West Coast after finishing up school in NY!

Thanks for your help!!

P.S: I have absolutely no EC's or interesting softs and I'm taking ALL suggestions on things I can do in the New York area during school and in the Southern California/Los Angeles area during the summer. Heck I'm even willing to go across the country if it'll help me and make me look like a boss!
Last edited by Omargawsh on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmh504

Re: Salvadorian first generation question

Postby kmh504 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 am

Are you Male or Female?

PM me - there are far too many opportunities for you as a 1st generation, educated Latino/a. It's stressing me out thinking you haven't tapped into any lol I'm in a traditionally Latina sorority and live in NYC. I run across so many of these summer opportunities/fellowships all the time. We should def. talk. I'm a couple years out of under grad (I feel old) but it makes it easier for me to share with people a little younger than me the opportunities I was able to have and even the opportunuties that are out there that I wasn't able to participate in.

Omargawsh

Postby Omargawsh » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 am

I am male. WIll definitely PM you!!

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”