Possible Yield Protection? Need Help.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
2015JD

Possible Yield Protection? Need Help.

Postby 2015JD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Ok Puerto-Rican 3.55 164. Wrote a nice PS about how I raised my little brother because I had a single-parent mother.

I was WL at GW the other day, kind of surprised, but kind of expected. Today I was WL at W&L, which was a safety. In total shock. In at Cardozo with $120k guaranteed (no stips).

Please tell me I am getting WL because of yield protection. Did I shoot to high? Are my stats only good enough for a bottom T1 law school? Very worried that I am going to be rejected at every school. Didn't apply to any other schools lower than W&L (apart from Cardozo).
Last edited by 2015JD on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Yield Projection

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:53 pm

2015JD wrote:Yield Projection

I lol'd

Moxie

Re: Yield Projection

Postby Moxie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:54 pm

You mean yield protection, not yield projection. (Sorry, I wish I had advice on your specific question)

SPE155

Re: Possible Yield Protection? Am I doomed? Need Help.

Postby SPE155 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Highly doubt this is yield protection.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:21 pm

SPE155 wrote:Highly doubt this is yield protection.

So I am basically totally and completely fucked.

What I don't get is that non-urm's with worse numbers than me got accepted at W&L. In the W&L thread someone posted in with a 154 3.19 (edit turns out this was an AA URM). Another in with a 161 3.66, 161 3.7 (with cash), another with a 163 3.58. I thought the URM boost would have brought W&L into safety school territory for me.

I also got junk mail out the ass from W&L they sent me like 10 mailings asking to apply. I really am just shocked. Guess this means PR aren't URM's?
Last edited by 2015JD on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

2015JD wrote:

What I don't get is that non-urm's with worse numbers than me got accepted at W&L. In the W&L thread someone posted in with a 154 3.19. Another in with a 161 3.66, 161 3.7 (with cash), another with a 163 3.58. I thought the URM boost would have brought W&L into safety school territory for me.

Just send a LOCI and hope for the best if you really want to go to W&L.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:25 pm

SPE155 wrote:
2015JD wrote:

What I don't get is that non-urm's with worse numbers than me got accepted at W&L. In the W&L thread someone posted in with a 154 3.19. Another in with a 161 3.66, 161 3.7 (with cash), another with a 163 3.58. I thought the URM boost would have brought W&L into safety school territory for me.

Just send a LOCI and hope for the best if you really want to go to W&L.

Was thinking about that, but TBH was hoping for cash out of them. I don't think they give cash to WL students.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:26 pm

2015JD wrote:

I also got junk mail out the ass from W&L they sent me like 10 mailings asking to apply. I really am just shocked. Guess this means PR aren't URM's?

that 154/3.19 was me...i forgot to mention it but im AA male URM

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
2015JD wrote:

Side question. Do females get a different URM status?

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Br3v wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:
2015JD wrote:

Side question. Do females get a different URM status?

i dont personally think so but i have heard it mention that males get just the slightest( and i mean very little) edge over females when it comes to urms...but thats just what someone told me

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 pm

i dont personally think so but i have heard it mention that males get just the slightest( and i mean very little) edge over females when it comes to urms...but thats just what someone told me

if anything I imagined it to be the opposite.

clarion

Postby clarion » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:36 pm

2015JD wrote:

What I don't get is that non-urm's with worse numbers than me got accepted at W&L. In the W&L thread someone posted in with a 154 3.19 (edit turns out this was an AA URM). Another in with a 161 3.66, 161 3.7 (with cash), another with a 163 3.58. I thought the URM boost would have brought W&L into safety school territory for me.

Nah, PRs are DEFINITELY URMs, they just don't tend to get as big of a boost as AAs. In fact, no URM tends to get as big of a boost as AAs do... if for no other reason than because the 'unmentionable quota' for AAs at most schools trumps that of other URMs since we have a much larger disparity between our representation in the country's population on the whole and our representation in law schools. And who knows, maybe W&L is more than content with their number of PR URMs? *shrug

Whether or not I or anyone else thinks it's YP is almost irrelevant, simply because none of us looked at your application firsthand to know how strong it is overall. As much as TLS would often like to suggest otherwise, numbers are just where things begin a lot of the time. Especially when you get into the top 50 and 25 schools. And if it were YP, then a simple LoCI should get you in :) Besides, WL is totally not the worst thing ever. I mean trust me, I've gotten a couple of WLs, holds and an FR at Berkeley in the last two weeks so I know how frustrating it is, but it's better than a flat-out rejection. *optimism

Additionally, to the people above me, Idk about other races, but as far as AAs are concerned, males get bigger boosts than females because we tend to be more "underrepresented" than our female counterparts. I'd imagine it to be similar for the other URMs since, let's be real, us males generally underachieve :P (obviously I mean no offense [as I'm an AA male], just findings based on sheer numbers).

Good luck!

Re: Possible Yield Protection? Need Help.

Postby 1212 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Just because you were waitlisted at a school doesn't automatically mean you will be WL/dinged at higher ranked schools. For example, i was waitlisted at Penn and got into Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, and NYU.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm

I have this horrible horrible horrible feeling I am like Icarus flying to close to the sun. Law School Predictor put me as an Admit with 164/3.55/URM at W&L, got waitlisted (with non-URM's getting accepted with lower stats than me). Put me as a Strong Consider at GW, got waitlisted (with other URM's with similar stats getting accepted). It put me as a consider at Northwestern, today I found out I got rejected. My cycle is so far telling me that Puerto-Rican ≠ URM. Had I set my sights lower I wouldn't be feeling this horrible feeling that I am going to wind up getting rejected everyplace else. 4 schools down 14 to go.

Off to get drunk and figure out a plan B.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:21 pm

clarion wrote:
2015JD wrote:

if for no other reason than because the 'unmentionable quota' for AAs at most schools trumps that of other URMs since we have a much larger disparity between our representation in the country's population on the whole and our representation in law schools. And who knows, maybe W&L is more than content with their number of PR URMs? *shrug

Good luck!

Where the hell are you getting this from? AA's make up roughly 12-13% of the population and account for approximately 7% of law school students. Mexicans/Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans combined make up roughly 8-9% of the population yet make up under 1% of the law school population. I suspect AAs get a "bigger boost" because limited access to education that has a very long history and that AAs are much better organized politically than Hispanics at large are.

cal7777

Postby cal7777 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 am

2015JD wrote:I have this horrible horrible horrible feeling I am like Icarus flying to close to the sun. Law School Predictor put me as an Admit with 164/3.55/URM at W&L, got waitlisted (with non-URM's getting accepted with lower stats than me). Put me as a Strong Consider at GW, got waitlisted (with other URM's with similar stats getting accepted). It put me as a consider at Northwestern, today I found out I got rejected. My cycle is so far telling me that Puerto-Rican ≠ URM. Had I set my sights lower I wouldn't be feeling this horrible feeling that I am going to wind up getting rejected everyplace else. 4 schools down 14 to go.

When did you apply? Maybe the school already got their expected number of PR URMs.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:19 pm

cal7777 wrote:
2015JD wrote:I have this horrible horrible horrible feeling I am like Icarus flying to close to the sun. Law School Predictor put me as an Admit with 164/3.55/URM at W&L, got waitlisted (with non-URM's getting accepted with lower stats than me). Put me as a Strong Consider at GW, got waitlisted (with other URM's with similar stats getting accepted). It put me as a consider at Northwestern, today I found out I got rejected. My cycle is so far telling me that Puerto-Rican ≠ URM. Had I set my sights lower I wouldn't be feeling this horrible feeling that I am going to wind up getting rejected everyplace else. 4 schools down 14 to go.

When did you apply? Maybe the school already got their expected number of PR URMs.

Second week of January. I know I applied late, I took the Oct Lsat and felt I messed up so I canceled it. Took the Dec LSAT.

clarion

Postby clarion » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 am

Rawlberto wrote:
clarion wrote:
2015JD wrote:

if for no other reason than because the 'unmentionable quota' for AAs at most schools trumps that of other URMs since we have a much larger disparity between our representation in the country's population on the whole and our representation in law schools. And who knows, maybe W&L is more than content with their number of PR URMs? *shrug

Good luck!

Where the hell are you getting this from? AA's make up roughly 12-13% of the population and account for approximately 7% of law school students. Mexicans/Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans combined make up roughly 8-9% of the population yet make up under 1% of the law school population. I suspect AAs get a "bigger boost" because limited access to education that has a very long history and that AAs are much better organized politically than Hispanics at large are.

Forgive me. Perhaps I should've worded that more accurately. What I really meant to suggest, is that the disparity in CERTAIN schools is larger. You have to understand that the 7% takes into consideration schools like Howard University, FAMU, other HBCUs, and some lower-ranked schools. What I really mean, is that if you look at school 'B', without a URM boost for AAs, the percentage might be 1% if they stuck solely to numbers which would be a larger disparity than perhaps the 1% of Mexicans/MAs/PRs who qualify on the basis of numbers alone. Each individual school tries to have its population as diverse as that of the country on the whole, and as such, each school deals with URMs differently; so, to get as close to the "12-13%" that you mentioned as possible, some schools must give larger boosts to AAs than they do to other URMs, whereas a school like FAMU or Howard would almost certainly give bigger boosts to Hispanic URMs than to AAs.

That's what I was getting at. But you also must consider that, perhaps because AAs are more politically-organized, (Idk?), some schools are going to be far more interested in getting as close to that 12-13% as they can than they will be to get to that 7% for Hispanic URMs. Whatever, not trying to argue. Just saying I should've been clearer about what I meant. Sorry about that

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Just so you know, latinos have outnumbered African Americans in the population for a good bit of time now

But as for the OP, you have to realize that law school admissions isn't just a numbers game. You may have applied late or other applicants may have had more work/leadership experience than you. Or maybe their PS was stronger. But that doesn't mean you won't get into other schools. Different schools may be looking for different qualities in their applicants.

Rawlberto wrote:
clarion wrote:
2015JD wrote:

Good luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”