Are the chances good? URM Puerto Rican

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Re: Are the chances good? URM Puerto Rican

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:51 pm

As everyone on this board will tell you, URM cycles are incredibly difficult to predict. And, PR even more so. If you haven't already, consider going to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.comand using the search function to see other applicants who have similar statistics as you. This might provide you with a better idea of where you stand.

As for your chances at HYS, the 165 will help you to some end, but I do know that most schools more readily embrace high GPAs and low LSATs than mediocre LSATs and mediocre GPAs, which is where I would place you. That is not to say you wouldn't get in. I think you would definitely be in at a T14, but HYS? I'd tend to lead toward no, especially this late. This cycle has been wildly unpredictable, so I don't feel confident saying more than that.

However, if you are applying this cycle, be sure to apply ASAP. You are rapidly running out of time.

ETA: Went ahead and looked at the last cycle's applicants for you. Looks like one applicant got into Harvard off of the WL with similar stats.

Postby MichelFoucault » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Omberon wrote:Is a 165 on the LSAT and a 3.65 GPA good enough for HYS? What are my chances?

Puerto Rican,

Good Softs, and extracurriculars, first gen in my family to go to college and law school.

Really hesitant to go anywhere else especially with the economy,

Your chances are not very good. However it is still possible, and definitely worth submitting an app. You should do everything in your power to make sure the rest of your app is bulletproof.

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Well-written PS and strong LORs will matter a lot for you. It's worth the app fee, you have a real chance of getting into at least one of these, but I'd also apply throughout the T14 if I were you so you have other options.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”