AA male 165/3.03, apply now OR next cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

now or later

Roll the dice.. apply now
64%
Apply next cycle
36%

Total votes: 11

Manhattanman

AA male 165/3.03, apply now OR next cycle

Postby Manhattanman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm 26 currently working in court system. Took December 2011 LSAT got a 165. I have all my transcripts and LOR's (3) filed with LSAC. I'm tempted to edit my Personal Statement to death for the next 6 months and wait until next cycle. This opens up early decision and I can save up money. The down side is having my LOR's dated 11 months before I apply and graduating when I am 30. Questions are do you guys know if

1. 1 year old lor's put you at a disadvantage
2. 1 year old LSATs put you at a disadvantage
3. graduating at 30 put you at a disadvantage in the job market. (Biglaw, public service)

Lastly, am I significantly increasing my chances by applying early September versus late January or is it only just a little better.

I make my decision in the next few days so please let me know soon if you have something to say. Thanks all. Good luck with your cycles.

Sh@keNb@ke

Re: AA male 165/3.03, apply now OR next cycle

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Do both. I agree that applying this late in the game will hurt your chances this cycle, but there isn't much harm in throwing an app out this cycle and seeing who bites. Good luck!

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Do both. I agree that applying this late in the game will hurt your chances this cycle, but there isn't much harm in throwing an app out this cycle and seeing who bites. Good luck!

Agreed. Just know what you want going into this cycle. If you don't get into the schools you'd like to attend, DO NOT settle for less. My personal experiences on waiting a cycle may be found at the following two threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153486
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=143301

Hope this helps. Good luck!

E

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 pm

1. Look at LSAC. I think there is a time limit, but I think it is more than 3 years.
2. No
3. No. It will probably help you.

If you are already working right now, there is no harm in waiting another year because you already have a job, and you can try to save money.
Your chances are much better if you apply next year, because a lot of seats have been filled up and a lot of scholarship money is already gone.

Oh, and don't edit you PS to death. Make it good, but if you overedit, it can come of as less personal and more like a report

Congrats on your LSAT! Good luck :D

Manhattanman wrote:I'm 26 currently working in court system. Took December 2011 LSAT got a 165. I have all my transcripts and LOR's (3) filed with LSAC. I'm tempted to edit my Personal Statement to death for the next 6 months and wait until next cycle. This opens up early decision and I can save up money. The down side is having my LOR's dated 11 months before I apply and graduating when I am 30. Questions are do you guys know if

1. 1 year old lor's put you at a disadvantage
2. 1 year old LSATs put you at a disadvantage
3. graduating at 30 put you at a disadvantage in the job market. (Biglaw, public service)

Lastly, am I significantly increasing my chances by applying early September versus late January or is it only just a little better.

I make my decision in the next few days so please let me know soon if you have something to say. Thanks all. Good luck with your cycles.

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I agree that you should do both. Just keep in mind that if you apply to a school and aren't accepted, adcomms prefer that you update your file if you decide to apply again the next cycle (an extra LOR, more volunteer work, blahdy blah). At least, that's what I've read on several websites (I've considered doing this also, but to improve my LSAT).

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

Moriarty wrote:I agree that you should do both. Just keep in mind that if you apply to a school and aren't accepted, adcomms prefer that you update your file if you decide to apply again the next cycle (an extra LOR, more volunteer work, blahdy blah). At least, that's what I've read on several websites (I've considered doing this also, but to improve my LSAT).

This is a great point. I made sure I emailed the admissions directors after I was rejected/released from the WL to thank them for their consideration. Many of them remembered my file, so I'm really happy I re-wrote my PS and DS.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”