Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby kcirdor01 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Got a question for you all- do you think it's worth me applying to YLS at this point in the cycle? I'm an AA Male w/ a 160/3.8 (strong softs); thus far I've been accepted to UVA, NYU, Mich, and several others in the top 20--though I've secured scholarship money from absolutely ZERO T14 schools. I'm only asking b/c IMO, I have 5%< shot at getting into YLS, and I don't have 100 bucks to blow; however, I know that HYS offer great need aid packages to accepted students (I already blew 100 on Harvard)....

Any advice guys??

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I have no idea what your chances of admission are at Yale. However, they claim that it does not matter in their admissions process when you apply. They are unique (if it is true) in this regard.

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby howlery » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Have you asked for a waiver? Your chances are 0 if you do not apply.

I would.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 am

I agree, especially with a waiver, but I do think your chances are low with your numbers. I think that even as a URM, you don't have a great chance without at least a 165. But you should definately try to prove me wrong. I'll be cheering for ya!

howlery wrote:Have you asked for a waiver? Your chances are 0 if you do not apply.

I would.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am

That's horse shit...

If you don't get a full-ride from a top 25, don't go.

If you don't get a scholarship from a T-14 where 80% of your tutition is covered, don't go. Retake.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 am

kcirdor01 wrote:Got a question for you all- do you think it's worth me applying to YLS at this point in the cycle? I'm an AA Male w/ a 160/3.8 (strong softs); thus far I've been accepted to UVA, NYU, Mich, and several others in the top 20--though I've secured scholarship money from absolutely ZERO T14 schools. I'm only asking b/c IMO, I have 5%< shot at getting into YLS, and I don't have 100 bucks to blow; however, I know that HYS offer great need aid packages to accepted students (I already blew 100 on Harvard)....

Any advice guys??


To be honest, I would be absolutely shocked if you got in. Looking at Law school numbers (and making some judgments about which profiles are legitimate), it seems that even URM's need to either have a very high GPA or LSAT score. Not to be a dick, but we are talking about Yale Law here, probably the preeminent graduate school in the world. I think with that GPA if you increased to a 167+ you'd have a legitimate chance, but you're a pretty long ways off from that right now.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am

Yea. Take this advice and you won't be going to law school anytime soon.

sparty99 wrote:That's horse shit...

If you don't get a full-ride from a top 25, don't go.

If you don't get a scholarship from a T-14 where 80% of your tutition is covered, don't go. Retake.

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am

Here's my advice:

1) Look at lawschool numbers.
2) Make a decision.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 am

no you need higher than a 160 retake

User avatar
Moriarty
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: Is it worth me applying to Yale this cycle (URM 160/3.79)?

Postby Moriarty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Think of it this way: if only about 100 or so AAs make above a 170 on the LSAT (oy, there's a thread discussing it somewhere around here...) assume that those 100 are most definitely competing for a chance at Yale. (Of course there are other factors, like preferring other schools in the T14 and all that jazz, but just work with my hypothetical.) I'm not saying that you have no chance, but you'll have a better chance if you increase your score.

HTH!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heluvsme23, Hi-So - ArshavinFan and 5 guests