Hey guys, I'm not applying until next cycle so no rush, but I'm at a loss of how to combine all my life experiences into a coherent diversity statement, and some help getting started would be much appreciated! Here are some things I'd like to include, although I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out:
1) Mexican-American URM, my father has pretty extensive Mayan ancestry.
2) First generation college student. Both my parents emigrated to the US in the 1980s, and my father only has a 6th grade education.
3) Parents divorced when I was around 8 years old, then we moved to Memphis, TN with my mom and stepfather.
4) Growing up in the south was extremely hard as a latino, even middle school kids could be brutally racist. Hardly a day went by without someone calling me a "dirty mexican", and I even took up boxing because I wanted to fight some of these kids (never did).
5) English is my 3rd language (after spanish and portuguese), yet I managed to excel in highschool and got a scholarship to an Ivy league.
6) Stepfather lost his job my freshman year, and I had to work throughout college.
Edit: Maybe some of these should fall under my personal statement? I haven't started that yet either, so help on the PS would be great as well!
Some numbers as well: I have a 2.8 GPA (providing addendum) and a 172 LSAT (retaking in June).
(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 1049
- Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm
You have a lot of good things to work with here. You can craft a diversity statement and a personal statement out of the information I see here. The reason people may not be responding is because this is something that you need to decide on your own because you know how your story connects better than we do. I did seem fairly interested in your experience in school and the racism you dealt with. I'd suggest starting the DS about that. But really none of these topics would steer you wrong, it's just about how you well you can tell the story. Good Luck.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest