AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
PoloboiGC
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby PoloboiGC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey, Everyone.


I am an AA male from a top 14 college. That has a GPA of 3.4 and a 148 LSAT score on my second try. I completely bombed reading comprehesion. I don't know what my chance are for any school. I was trying to go at least top 30. Do I have any chances at all?

Also I have a diease in my eye called corneal dystrophy that makes it hard for me to read. Had it my entire life. I didn't quite know if I should add that to my test or notify the testing center etc...

I just don't know what to do. I think my law career is over before it started. I have 3 absences and 2 test takes. I have a very good resume and have helped on a plethroa of areas in school, medicine, law. I just can't seem to get this test down. I was supposed to apply this cycle but I don't know anymore. I think I'm a failure. I have wasted basically 5-6 years of my life.

I am also considering changing into a path of medicine since I have done so poorly in this test. I don't know if I have the drive or else the money to try and hire someone to teach me for another 6 months for the LSAT. I had a lot of circumstances of things happen over the last year that I can't explain. I feel like I don't have a shot at anywhere.

Any thoughts? suggestions of schools? chances? also should I continues? also a third lsat test.... how bad does that look?

Thanks you guys. I need something or someone to understand where I'm coming from. My family doesn't at all.

Cruzol
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby Cruzol » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 am

I would rather be practicing medicine if I had the brain power.
If being a lawyer is something you feel will make you complete take out a loan and pay for a tutor and study your butt off. Most people dont like living with regrets. You should give it once last try if it means that much to you.

Im guessing most people on here cant say they could realistically head to med school if they cant go to law school.

That said you need to be realistic. If reading is a problem for your eyes this will have a major effect in Law school and your legal career because reading is a big part of the job.

With medicine you have a reasonable chance at finding a job if you complete med school. If looking through a microscope isnt a problem for you id head to med school. Enjoy people respecting you and calling you a hero.

kmh504
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby kmh504 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:18 am

PoloboiGC wrote: I think I'm a failure


Self doubt won't get you anything honey. Law school. Med School. A happy and fulfilled life...I think you just need to think about what you really want to do. If law is it, then apply anywhere you can. Maybe it won't be a T30. Maybe it will. There are also successful transfer applicants - people who go to less ranked schools their first year and end up transferring to some place great to finish. Don't be a dweller, be a do-er. Look at all your options and go from there :)

beauTfully_free
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby beauTfully_free » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 pm

PoloboiGC wrote:Hey, Everyone.


I am an AA male from a top 14 college. That has a GPA of 3.4 and a 148 LSAT score on my second try. I completely bombed reading comprehesion. I don't know what my chance are for any school. I was trying to go at least top 30. Do I have any chances at all?

Also I have a diease in my eye called corneal dystrophy that makes it hard for me to read. Had it my entire life. I didn't quite know if I should add that to my test or notify the testing center etc...

I just don't know what to do. I think my law career is over before it started. I have 3 absences and 2 test takes. I have a very good resume and have helped on a plethroa of areas in school, medicine, law. I just can't seem to get this test down. I was supposed to apply this cycle but I don't know anymore. I think I'm a failure. I have wasted basically 5-6 years of my life.

I am also considering changing into a path of medicine since I have done so poorly in this test. I don't know if I have the drive or else the money to try and hire someone to teach me for another 6 months for the LSAT. I had a lot of circumstances of things happen over the last year that I can't explain. I feel like I don't have a shot at anywhere.

Any thoughts? suggestions of schools? chances? also should I continues? also a third lsat test.... how bad does that look?

Thanks you guys. I need something or someone to understand where I'm coming from. My family doesn't at all.


I know bombing the LSAT is tough but if law is in your heart then still go for it! Submit an addendum explaining everything you told us here on TLS and I think with your GPA, and work experience you can get into a decent school. You'll have to take more tests if you go into medicine too so don't just look at it as a way out. Don't just let the LSAT- one test stop you from what you dream to aspire (presumably.) And yes- I would contact LSAC about the eye disease- it sounds like it could be categorized as a disability....could also be used for a personal/diversity statement.

Dont give up hope!Hang in there you're a smart kid :D

User avatar
Moriarty
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby Moriarty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm

PoloboiGC wrote:Hey, Everyone.


I am an AA male from a top 14 college. That has a GPA of 3.4 and a 148 LSAT score on my second try. I completely bombed reading comprehesion. I don't know what my chance are for any school. I was trying to go at least top 30. Do I have any chances at all?

Also I have a diease in my eye called corneal dystrophy that makes it hard for me to read. Had it my entire life. I didn't quite know if I should add that to my test or notify the testing center etc...

I just don't know what to do. I think my law career is over before it started. I have 3 absences and 2 test takes. I have a very good resume and have helped on a plethroa of areas in school, medicine, law. I just can't seem to get this test down. I was supposed to apply this cycle but I don't know anymore. I think I'm a failure. I have wasted basically 5-6 years of my life.

I am also considering changing into a path of medicine since I have done so poorly in this test. I don't know if I have the drive or else the money to try and hire someone to teach me for another 6 months for the LSAT. I had a lot of circumstances of things happen over the last year that I can't explain. I feel like I don't have a shot at anywhere.

Any thoughts? suggestions of schools? chances? also should I continues? also a third lsat test.... how bad does that look?

Thanks you guys. I need something or someone to understand where I'm coming from. My family doesn't at all.


Most importantly: which career path is the one you aspire to the most? (Or is exact career not all that important to you? I don't mean that in a snotty way.) If you truly want to be a lawyer, then consider writing to LSAC about your problem. I don't know much about the MCAT, but I think that the issue would carry over.

In any case, good luck!

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

kmh504 wrote:
PoloboiGC wrote: I think I'm a failure


Self doubt won't get you anything honey. Law school. Med School. A happy and fulfilled life...I think you just need to think about what you really want to do. If law is it, then apply anywhere you can. Maybe it won't be a T30. Maybe it will. There are also successful transfer applicants - people who go to less ranked schools their first year and end up transferring to some place great to finish. Don't be a dweller, be a do-er. Look at all your options and go from there :)


+1. Great advice!

If it is hard for you to read the test, you definately should notify LSAC and be accomodated. If you go to a top 14 school and have a 3.4, you are definately smart enough to do well on the LSAT.

My best advice is to call LSAC tomorrow. Ask them what kind of accomadations they can give you, practice under those accomodations, and retake in June.
Don't worry, your too smart not to make it in law school or med school, or anywhere else.

Good luck! :D

zia
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby zia » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi.. I have similar story..
Could you let me know where you ended up with?
MANY THANKS...

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:41 pm

zia wrote:Hi.. I have similar story..
Could you let me know where you ended up with?
MANY THANKS...

they haven't logged in in over 2 years

you should make a new thread

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 pm

I am surprised, people are not screaming RETAKE.

My advice. If you really really really want to be a lawyer, I would give it one more shot and go. If your W.E. is good, it might push you over the edge. One of the regionals I applied to , the median is 150-155 or something like that, but they have taken people with as low a GPA as 2.7 and LSAT as 140. So it is possible to squeak in.

The question is will you be able to compete. To be successful in the legal field, atleast from my viewpoint, you can either be atleast average at a top school or above average at sucky school. As I have learned, for example, a lot of partners at DC firms are from AU Law. Last year, they placed two students in Skadden. However, those jobs are only for the superstars. The average AU Law grad is more than likely $hit out of luck. However, if you go to GTown, they may go "deeper in the class." So If you feel like you can compete go.

I would advise you try for medical school. Even people at the bottom of the class can get a primary care residency and make 85K, and that is the absolute lowest. If you are passionate about law, go. If not, go medicine.

And this is coming from someone who is giving up a free education to go to law school and more than likely pay a lot of money for it. I have been "what-if'ing" since i graduated college.

apartius
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 am

Re: AA Male 3.4 GPA 148 LSAT Need help? advice and guidance plea

Postby apartius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Deleted




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest