3.0 gpa, 157 lsat. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mickeyfree

New

3.0 gpa, 157 lsat.

Post by mickeyfree » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:58 am

157 lsat
3.0 gpa
Black Male

I'm considering taking the test again and starting school in 2013. I'm confident that I can score in the 160's (I bombed a section on the test), but I would really prefer to start school this fall.

What type of schools do I have a chance at with my current numbers? I would prefer to stay in Texas, but I'm open to relocating to another state.

Let's say I were to retake the test and score between 160-165. How much of an impact would that make in terms of the schools I could get accepted into and scholarship money?

Thanks

kmh504

Bronze

Re: 3.0 gpa, 157 lsat.

Post by kmh504 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/champion11 <---- check this user out and the many other URMs that are getting into t14 schools this cycle in the high 150s. Just apply :)

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

The above post may not be great advice because Champion has a high gpa even though his lsat was below 160. It MAY be possible to get into UT Austin but I would recommend you retake especially since you are considering starting law school in 2013.

Can you list the schools in TX you are considering?
With a higher LSAT, you increase your chances of acceptance and the possibility of merit aid.
Last edited by Justdoingmybest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmh504

Bronze

Post by kmh504 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:The above post may not be great advice because Champion has a high gpa even though his lsat was below 160. It MAY be possible to get into UT Austin but I would recommend you retake especially since you are considering starting law school in 2013.

Can you list the schools in TX you are considering? Are you open to other states or is TX the only possibility?
With a higher LSAT, you increase your chances of acceptance and the possibility of merit aid.
You missed the "and many others" bit. American, Cornell and Washington & Lee have accepted numerous URM users this cycle in the 150s and lower 3.0 ranges. Block out the negativity, check the site out and do what YOU feel compelled to do :)

Justdoingmybest

Bronze

Post by Justdoingmybest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm

I was not trying to be negative, I am just saying that the link you posted may not be helpful for the OP because he and Champion are in two different situations.

OP, your chances really depend on where you are aiming, where you are looking at? t-14? t-25? t-30? t-50? I agree that people with high 150 lsats have gotten into great schools but once again most of them had high GPA's and applied early. If you are aiming for t-14, although there is a chance you may get into one or so, you MAY not get much merit aid. Again there are exceptions like http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd (your numbers are not an exact match tho but they are close). His profile may also be an indicator of how a 160+ can affect your cycle.

But again if you can take a year off I would advice you retake the lsat.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 pm

you have my exact numbers..i am a AA female, lgbt, first generation and have so far gotten into all the schools ive applied to..nc central, elon, richmond, w&l, mason, american..im still waiting to hear back from 9 schools, including ed at GW...you could have gotten into some good schools this cycle if you applied early. I submitted all of my apps first week of november. But i would say if you are aiming for t-14 you should definitely retake

mickeyfree

New

Post by mickeyfree » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 am

Thanks for the replies

My top two schools were the University of Houston and the University of Texas. I was also looking at Howard Law School.

If I boosted my score by 3-8 points and applied early in the 2013 cycle, what type of schools could I get money from?

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 am

mickeyfree wrote:Thanks for the replies

My top two schools were the University of Houston and the University of Texas. I was also looking at Howard Law School.

If I boosted my score by 3-8 points and applied early in the 2013 cycle, what type of schools could I get money from?
Howard???..have you seen that school..I went their for a forum and the place was tearing apart(I still applied ther tho cuz it was free..lol)..but i got a full ride from richmond, elon, and nc central..and w&l is giving me $15k a year (3.15 stip)..also you have to think about rank vs money...and which one is worth more..for me its rank since I have plans on entering a loan forgiveness program anyway...people get too caught up in lists of schools they get from strangers..if you wanna appply, apply..otherwise you can go to lsn to compare stats

gthopeful

Bronze

Post by gthopeful » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Why wouldn't OP consider Howard....(I have never been to visit Howard so I can not comment on the facilities) however have you seen Howard's stats on job placement (which is one of the biggest reason to choose a law school.) OP would probably have much better prospects from Howard than almost all of the schools you named off.

And OP I would still apply to all the schools you would want to go to ( if you have the $$) becasue URM cylces are so wildly unpredictable adn their have been some crazy cycles so far at many t-14-t25 already so there is always a chance

mickeyfree

New

Post by mickeyfree » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I've never seen Howard, but I know that if you do well there you're in a great position to get a good job.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:44 pm

gthopeful wrote:Why wouldn't OP consider Howard....(I have never been to visit Howard so I can not comment on the facilities) however have you seen Howard's stats on job placement (which is one of the biggest reason to choose a law school.) OP would probably have much better prospects from Howard than almost all of the schools you named off.

And OP I would still apply to all the schools you would want to go to ( if you have the $$) becasue URM cylces are so wildly unpredictable adn their have been some crazy cycles so far at many t-14-t25 already so there is always a chance
im not saying howard is awful, im just saying his numbers qualify him to apply at higher ranked schools thats all..howard is in dc and has gt, gw, gmu, maryland, american to compete against in the area...also howard is known for giving you a scholarship and pinning you against student with your same numbers so much that you may end up losing your scholarship. And yeah top-law-school and usnews reports that the starting salary is pretty high for a tier 3 school but there arent enough people reporting their numbers for me to take a chance at a tier 3 over a t-30 tier one.

gthopeful

Bronze

Post by gthopeful » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I understand where you are coming from...however is a very unique T3 in that it provides AAs with more job prospects than any t3 or t2 and it has higher prospects than most if not all schools ranked below t30(from what I have read) and SOME people suggest howard over any school not in t14 for AAs it was even ranked the number 2 best buy law school by the national law journal as far as getting biglaw jobs compared to tuition and it ranked 31 at providing the most biglaw jobs period...so rank isnt everything outside of the t25 rank matters little in overall job prospects

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:00 pm

where are the stats located that says its 31 for big law?

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm

nvm..found it

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”