Chances at T14, T50?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
scorpio2013

Chances at T14, T50?

Postby scorpio2013 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 am

Looking to get a feel for which schools I should expect to get into. Kinda new to the law school admissions and what to expect.
My stats are:
-2.6 LSAC GPA (Bad I know, the LSAC killed my GPA)
-173 LSAT (Hoping they look more at this, always been a good test taker)
-African American Male

I doubt I have a shot at the T14, but I really want to get into fordham since I've already visited it on a trip to new york. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

asdflawyer

Re: Chances at T14, T50?

Postby asdflawyer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 am

go to lawschoolnumbers.com

Your definitely in at Fordham with your stats.

You can should get a few t14 schools with your high lsat and URM status as well.

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 am

asdflawyer wrote:go to lawschoolnumbers.com

Your definitely in at Fordham with your stats.

You can should get a few t14 schools with your high lsat and URM status as well.

Thank you, I'm really hoping my lsat is looked at more than my gpa

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 am

I'm almost in the exact same boat with a 2.8/172. I'm Mexican American though. Are you applying for this cycle or the next one? I'd advise waiting for the next one and getting all your apps in as early as possible, including an ED somewhere, I don't think applying this late as a splitter is a good idea.

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm

SublimeStyle wrote:I'm almost in the exact same boat with a 2.8/172. I'm Mexican American though. Are you applying for this cycle or the next one? I'd advise waiting for the next one and getting all your apps in as early as possible, including an ED somewhere, I don't think applying this late as a splitter is a good idea.

I won't be applying until the 2012-2013 cycle. I plan on getting my applications finished by August and sending them in around September. I think I could maximize the chances I have at some good schools by applying very early.

Champion

Postby Champion » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:02 am

Bro, with that LSAT I would say to not ED anywhere. Apply to most of the t14 (minus Harvard, Yale, Stanford) and some schools in the 20-30s. A few schools will bite, it's just a matter of where and with how much money. It's imperative that you get your apps out in early september for the best chance though.
Last edited by Champion on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

Your cycle is going to be highly unpredictable. Apply broadly. Also, although applicants with your numbers are fairly rare, you should still check out lawschoolnumbers.com.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 am

chimp wrote:Your cycle is going to be highly unpredictable. Apply broadly. Also, although applicants with your numbers are fairly rare, you should still check out lawschoolnumbers.com.

LSN has a grand total of 8 applicants, none of whom are URMs, with such an extreme split (sub 3.0 gpa and over a 171 LSAT). It's not very helpful..

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the responses you guys, yeah I couldn't find anything similar to my situation on LSN so I guess I'll just apply to alot of schools (I'm planning on sending over 20 apps) and hope for the best.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm

scorpio2013 wrote: -2.6 LSAC GPA (Bad I know, the LSAC killed my GPA)

How did LSAC kill your GPA?

Since you are URM schools may be more willing to look beyond the LSAC GPA and evaluate whether you have the academic potential to succeed. If you did well in your last few years, you might stand much better odds than your raw GPA would predict. Schools will be more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt because of your 173 LSAT.

Also, you're applying really late if you're planning to submit for this cycle. It might be worth waiting out a cycle if you don't get at least a lower T14.
Last edited by bdubs on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Sorry this could be a rookie question, but what does lsac do to lower your gpa that much?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Also, non-URM candidates with high LSATs and sub 3.0 GPAs routinely get in to GULC and Northwestern. As a URM you shouldn't settle for anything less.

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Its not the LSAC fault in any way, more my fault, but I retook alot of classes that I screwed up in during my freshman year to raise my GPA to around a 3.2; but the LSAC counts all classes you take so it counted those classes I had retaken.

And also I am not applying this cycle. I plan on applying for next year's cycle and very early.

JustThisOnce

Postby JustThisOnce » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Occasional lurker, just wanted to add that it is not necessarily too late in the cycle if you're willing to ride out a few wait-lists deep into the summer.

In my experience, being a similar non-URM splitter did not make me an auto-admit at many places, but I was fortunate to get off the wait-lists in May-August at a few T25's as well as the T14 I'm currently attending, and I didn't take the LSAT or apply until February last year. Your results may vary, but I would focus on putting together as strong of an application as possible and being patient if you can afford to do so.

Best of luck!

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 pm

JustThisOnce wrote:Occasional lurker, just wanted to add that it is not necessarily too late in the cycle if you're willing to ride out a few wait-lists deep into the summer.

In my experience, being a similar non-URM splitter did not make me an auto-admit at many places, but I was fortunate to get off the wait-lists in May-August at a few T25's as well as the T14 I'm currently attending, and I didn't take the LSAT or apply until February last year. Your results may vary, but I would focus on putting together as strong of an application as possible and being patient if you can afford to do so.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice, I'm a junior now so I'm definitely not applying until the next cycle but since I took the LSAT extra early I'm going to focus this entire summer on putting together a great application.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:58 pm

scorpio2013 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I'm a junior now so I'm definitely not applying until the next cycle but since I took the LSAT extra early I'm going to focus this entire summer on putting together a great application.

If you want the best application, study abroad this summer and write about it. Besides a graduate degree, a real job, and publishing research, study abroad does the most to offset bad grades.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
scorpio2013 wrote:

If you want the best application, study abroad this summer and write about it. Besides a graduate degree, a real job, and publishing research, study abroad does the most to offset bad grades.

That is the most inane advice i've ever heard. Study abroad will not do anything to offset bad grades, and so many people do it that you will have a hard time writing a PS based on it that any adcomm would find interesting.

The best way to overcome bad grades is to take a lot of courses over the summer and get good grades in them. Also, LSAC doesn't count study abroad grades for 99% of programs. Don't do it thinking it will help you boost your GPA because the classes abroad are easy.
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:02 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
scorpio2013 wrote:

lol what? How does dicking around abroad for a semester/summer do anything to offset bad grades?

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:03 pm

bdubs wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
scorpio2013 wrote:

That is the most inane advice i've ever heard.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
scorpio2013 wrote:

lol what? How does dicking around abroad for a semester/summer do anything to offset bad grades?

This only makes sense in that when you study abroad, good grades are easier to get (and were talking only about programs that are directly affiliated with your us school and so will be counted in your LSAC gpa.)

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm not quite as extreme a splitter as you (170, 2.7) and I applied right around this time last cycle. Applying late def hurt me, but I still had a decent cycle and ended up at a T30 with money. With your numbers, I probably would not settle for anything less than T20 with a LOT of money or T14, especially if you are going to apply early next cycle. Just make sure you spend a lot of time making your application as flawless as possible, write a good personal statement and a kickass diversity statement, and you should have some really good choices.

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:41 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:I'm not quite as extreme a splitter as you (170, 2.7) and I applied right around this time last cycle. Applying late def hurt me, but I still had a decent cycle and ended up at a T30 with money. With your numbers, I probably would not settle for anything less than T20 with a LOT of money or T14, especially if you are going to apply early next cycle. Just make sure you spend a lot of time making your application as flawless as possible, write a good personal statement and a kickass diversity statement, and you should have some really good choices.

Another question, how did you differentiate your PS from your DS, I'm having trouble figuring out what schools want for each or if they're even supposed to be that much different from each other.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm

I personally didn't write different ones. My PS was really a combination PS, diversity statement, and GPA addendum. So, I think it comes down to what your PS is about. If you talk about something that relates to your ethnic background or some sort of disadvantage you had while growing up, a DS might not be necessary. If you write your PS on a different topic, then you would want to address your ethnic background and/or disadvantages you had while growing up in a DS.

scorpio2013

Postby scorpio2013 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:44 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:I personally didn't write different ones. My PS was really a combination PS, diversity statement, and GPA addendum. So, I think it comes down to what your PS is about. If you talk about something that relates to your ethnic background or some sort of disadvantage you had while growing up, a DS might not be necessary. If you write your PS on a different topic, then you would want to address your ethnic background and/or disadvantages you had while growing up in a DS.

Ok thanks that helps, I was considering writing my PS on an event that happened in my life which motivated me to become a lawyer and my DS on my ethnic background and economic disadvantages.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Yea, if all that stuff wasn't so intertwined for me, I probably would have done the same thing.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”