AA Male 3.8/156

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mdmusiclaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 pm

AA Male 3.8/156

Postby mdmusiclaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey all,

I am pretty disappointed that I scored a 156 for the second time on this past December's test. Do you guys think I should retake in June and sit out this cycle? Conversely, do I have any shot at all at Columbia or NYU if I applied now? How does it look applying now to schools, run the risk or being rejected and then applying again next cycle? My dream school is Harvard and I feel like if I can add 8 or so points to my LSAT score, I'd have at least a shot. Can you let me know your thoughts? Thanks!

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby spiritniffler189 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 pm

mdmusiclaw wrote:Hey all,

I am pretty disappointed that I scored a 156 for the second time on this past December's test. Do you guys think I should retake in June and sit out this cycle? Conversely, do I have any shot at all at Columbia or NYU if I applied now? How does it look applying now to schools, run the risk or being rejected and then applying again next cycle? My dream school is Harvard and I feel like if I can add 8 or so points to my LSAT score, I'd have at least a shot. Can you let me know your thoughts? Thanks!


Hey! I would definitely take it a second time. I had anticipated applying last cycle, got a 158, and decided to hold off and take a year off. Very happy I did this, did way better the 2nd time and am comfortably in multiple T14. With that gpa, I'd hold off...wish I had it! :)

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby Philosopher King » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
mdmusiclaw wrote:Hey all,

I am pretty disappointed that I scored a 156 for the second time on this past December's test. Do you guys think I should retake in June and sit out this cycle? Conversely, do I have any shot at all at Columbia or NYU if I applied now? How does it look applying now to schools, run the risk or being rejected and then applying again next cycle? My dream school is Harvard and I feel like if I can add 8 or so points to my LSAT score, I'd have at least a shot. Can you let me know your thoughts? Thanks!


Hey! I would definitely take it a second time. I had anticipated applying last cycle, got a 158, and decided to hold off and take a year off. Very happy I did this, did way better the 2nd time and am comfortably in multiple T14. With that gpa, I'd hold off...wish I had it! :)


This seems to be what the consensus on here is. I'm convinced this is the right thing to do. Being an URM will help you too of course so if you can up your LSAT by ten points you will have a shot at some T14s, especially those that like GPAs. A ten point increase will also get you good merit scholarship money at many top 100 schools. Good luck!

mdmusiclaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby mdmusiclaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Really appreciate the help, guys! I've decided to take the year off, gain some interesting WE, shoot for a 170+ score and apply on the first day applications are accepted next cycle.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby Philosopher King » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 pm

mdmusiclaw wrote:Really appreciate the help, guys! I've decided to take the year off, gain some interesting WE, shoot for a 170+ score and apply on the first day applications are accepted next cycle.


Good luck. I decided to do this too. I think we'll both be better off.

User avatar
calypso4
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby calypso4 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

I would say apply and see what happens. I have a 156 LSAT, 4.0 GPA and I got into Cardozo with $120,000 and Boston College, as well. It is definitely possible.

thatlawguy
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: AA Male 3.8/156

Postby thatlawguy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey,

First of all, you have nothing to be disappointed about. A 156 is a great score and you should be very proud of that. But I think you should definitely take the LSAT a second time especially if you feel you can increase your score. I increased my score the second time and felt much more comfortable. Just be sure to choose your location wisely.

In either scenario (whether you apply now or after you re-take the LSAT) you should get some great scholarship offers. If you can get fee waivers for any of your applications then be sure to do that by contacting the office of admissions and seeing if they are offered. I would suggest the shotgun approach and apply to as many schools as possible. This will help you negotiate your financial aid offers among all the schools. Good luck in the process and PM me if you have any more questions.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests