3.54/162 Native American Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
justcallmerae

New

3.54/162 Native American

Post by justcallmerae » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 am

I have a 3.54 GPA from a good state school-- double major in Political Science and English. My resume is strong, with a broad range of internships, organizations, and leadership positions. I'm Native American, registered in my tribe, and have actually interned for my tribe's U.S. ambassador in D.C. Additionally, I receive several scholarships from them.

I scored a 151 on the October 2011 LSAT, even though I was PTing between 157 and 160. I retook in December after dedicating more time to studying; additionally, I had less on my plate both academically and in extracurriculars. Got my score back today and I jumped to a 162!

My scholarships with my tribe will continue to assist my educational endeavors if and only if I go straight through. If I stop and take a year, I lose that scholarship. I realize my URM status may qualify me for other scholarships should I raise my GPA but I am not willing to drop the scholarship I already have for the "possibility" of another one.

I've submitted applications to about 12 schools already:

Miami
Wake Forest
Loyola Marymout
Loyola Chicago
Temple
Villanova
and all NYC schools sans for Columbia.

I guess what I'm asking is, based on my GPA, background, and resume, do you think I have a shot at higher ranked schools? Slash, is there any insight from other Native students applying? I'm now going to add in Colombia, Penn, Harvard (mostly for giggles) and possibly another West Coast school. Just kinda looking for some feedback!

Sorry So Long!

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”