AA Male 3.63 GPA 149 LSAT.......Should I even apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rollinberry

AA Male 3.63 GPA 149 LSAT.......Should I even apply?

Postby rollinberry » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 pm

I am interested in.......

U Miami
Georgetown
UCLA
Southern Cal
NYU
San Diego
Pacific

On a 1-10........How screwed am I?

Philosopher King

Re: 3.63 GPA 149 LSAT.......Should I even apply?

Postby Philosopher King » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, if law school is what you really want to do you should apply. Some schools don't have application fees and some have small fees--choose them. Those numbers would get you into Widener I think or maybe even a T3 schools that likes GPAs.

suga_the_champ

Re: AA Male 3.63 GPA 149 LSAT.......Should I even apply?

Postby suga_the_champ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 am

With that LSAT, I think you are out at all those schools except for Pacific and maybe San Diego. Also, with that LSAT you are likely looking at very little (if any) scholarship money. You have a golden GPA for an AA male. It wouldn't be right if I didn't tell you to retake and go to the school you truly want to attend the first time around.

Benchslapme

Postby Benchslapme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 am

You are obviously very smart. Depending on how bad you really want UCLA, NYU, or Georgetown, I would advice you to apply now but start to prepare immediately, again, for the LSAT. If you get in one of those three schools, then you can stop study. But more likely you will be waitlisted or rejected at those schools, so retake early next year and apply again. If you study hard for the LSAT for three months, I guarantee you will increase your score by at least 10 points--I did it, 15points.

rollinberry

Postby rollinberry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

Benchslapme wrote:You are obviously very smart. Depending on how bad you really want UCLA, NYU, or Georgetown, I would advice you to apply now but start to prepare immediately, again, for the LSAT. If you get in one of those three schools, then you can stop study. But more likely you will be waitlisted or rejected at those schools, so retake early next year and apply again. If you study hard for the LSAT for three months, I guarantee you will increase your score by at least 10 points--I did it, 15points.

Were there any specific alterations in your LSAT prep that you believe attributed to the 15 point jump? Any advice is helpful, thanks !

rollinberry

Postby rollinberry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks for the advice everybody, much appreciated. However, I am still open to suggestions.......

Benchslapme

Postby Benchslapme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 am

I just realized I did not study enough. I buckled up for three months and did nothing else but study. Every day except Sunday, I studied for at least 4 hours. Make sure you get the Bibles and do lot of Actual LSAT practice and review.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:32 am

My personal guess is: Miami (probably in, but questionable how much $ you'll get), Georgetown (probably out), UCLA (probably out), USC (probably out, but who knows), NYU (almost certainly out), San Diego (probably in), Pacific (probably in). Keep in mind, this is nothing other than a guess.

That said, URM cycles are rather volatile. And if you are really and truly interested, at least try for the school you want. However, I really think even a single point jump might help a lot. Jumping 4 or 5 would help you a whole lot. Being in the 150s for some reason is much better than being in the 140s, just on paper. Many URMs get into the T-14 with high-150s every year.

On a different note, are there any other schools you would consider? There is a huge jump between San Diego/Pacific/Miami and USC on up. There are a number of decent schools in the middle of the mix there that are being ignored. And based off of the ones you listed, you do not appear to have a preference for where you go (apart from perhaps being on a coast?)

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 am

dude....take a year off and retake. If you put time and some dedication you can hit 160+.

IF you do get 160+, as an AA with that GPA then MANY doors will open up for you. It's worth the sacrifice

rollinberry

Postby rollinberry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:34 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:My personal guess is: Miami (probably in, but questionable how much $ you'll get), Georgetown (probably out), UCLA (probably out), USC (probably out, but who knows), NYU (almost certainly out), San Diego (probably in), Pacific (probably in). Keep in mind, this is nothing other than a guess.

That said, URM cycles are rather volatile. And if you are really and truly interested, at least try for the school you want. However, I really think even a single point jump might help a lot. Jumping 4 or 5 would help you a whole lot. Being in the 150s for some reason is much better than being in the 140s, just on paper. Many URMs get into the T-14 with high-150s every year.

On a different note, are there any other schools you would consider? There is a huge jump between San Diego/Pacific/Miami and USC on up. There are a number of decent schools in the middle of the mix there that are being ignored. And based off of the ones you listed, you do not appear to have a preference for where you go (apart from perhaps being on a coast?)

Definitely, I have no particular preference. What schools do you have in mind?

rollinberry

Postby rollinberry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:37 am

Thanks again to all who responded thus far. I really appreciate the recommendations !!!!!!

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 pm

U Miami
Georgetown
UCLA
Southern Cal
NYU
San Diego
Pacific

Do you have work experience? You will be rejected by Georgetown, UCLA, USC, and NYU. If you have work experience, you might get accepted at University of Miami or waitlisted.

However, I would retake the LSAT. I got a full-tuition scholarship at a Top 30 with a 3.6/146, but I had work experience. I applied to Georgetown and UCLA and was rejected. If you can get a 155 and maybe even worked 1-2 years, you could get a full-ride at a T25.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you can get a 155 and maybe even worked 1-2 years, you could get a full-ride at a T25.

Um, how about this is just not true?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
sparty99 wrote:If you can get a 155 and maybe even worked 1-2 years, you could get a full-ride at a T25.

What would you know?

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

What would you know?

Only what I have been told. If this was true then I would be applying to one of these schools with my 155 LSAT.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Bro, at this (sort of late) stage in the game you won't be able to get into at most of the schools you listed. If (by any chance)you were able to you would be paying sticker which wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. Your best bet is to retake. As an AA male with a similar GPA and higher LSAT who has had tremendous success this cycle, I would say that it is way smarter to retake the LSAT in order 1) gain admission to these schools and 2) get some money out of them. PM me with any questions.

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 am

Philosopher King wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

What would you know?

Only what I have been told. If this was true then I would be applying to one of these schools with my 155 LSAT.

You're not black.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 am

Gizmo wrote:You're not black.

Does skin color really help a person that much? Jeez, the trend used to be that more melanin equaled less consideration now it is the opposite. When will society come to its senses and stop discriminating on the basis of race, period? It was wrong in the 19th and early 20th century and it is wrong now. I admire Hillsdale College because they were founded in the mid-1840s and since day one did not discriminate on the basis of race. They have ardently maintained that policy up until the present day despite the constant attempts by the forces of racism to force them to discriminate over the years. They stood their ground and because they're not racists they can't take students receiving federal dollars. I wish some law schools would follow in their example. Too bad Hillsdale doesn't have a law school. Doesn't racial discrimination violate the Civil Rights Act?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:51 am

Philosopher King wrote:

Does skin color really help a person that much? Jeez, the trend used to be that more melanin equaled less consideration now it is the opposite. When will society come to its senses and stop discriminating on the basis of race, period? It was wrong in the 19th and early 20th century and it is wrong now. I admire Hillsdale College because they were founded in the mid-1840s and since day one did not discriminate on the basis of race. They have ardently maintained that policy up until the present day despite the constant attempts by the forces of racism to force them to discriminate over the years. They stood their ground and because they're not racists they can't take students receiving federal dollars. I wish some law schools would follow in their example. Too bad Hillsdale doesn't have a law school. Doesn't racial discrimination violate the Civil Rights Act?

an odd flame/troll, to be sure

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:01 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

And that's what advocating for a society where one is judged by character and abilities rather than skin color will get you these days. It was controversial when Frederick Douglass said it, it was controversial when Dr. King said it, and it is controversial when I say it. But I'm going to say it because it's the right philosophy to live by in my humble opinion.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 am

Philosopher King wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

And that's what advocating for a society where one is judged by character and abilities rather than skin color will get you these days. It was controversial when Frederick Douglass said it, it was controversial when Dr. King said it, and it is controversial when I say it. But I'm going to say it because it's the right philosophy to live by in my humble opinion.

you're doing a disservice to these people by mentioning their names in your sad, naive, angry little screeds on this forum

kmh504

Postby kmh504 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Ugh...yet another one of our posts gets attacked with the affirmative action debate. Sweetie, if you have the LSAC fee waiver and your application components are essentially done, just apply. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take. If you don't get in - no money lost and you can always apply the following cycle :)
Last edited by kmh504 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdnicholson10

Postby rdnicholson10 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:00 pm

kmh504 wrote:Ugh...yet another one of our posts gets attacked with the affirmative action debate. Sweetie, if you have the LSAC fee waiver and your application components are essentially done, just apply. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take. If you don't get in - no money lost and you can always applying the following cycle :)

+1

Nothing beats a failure but a try...

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:44 pm

rdnicholson10 wrote:
kmh504 wrote:Ugh...yet another one of our posts gets attacked with the affirmative action debate. Sweetie, if you have the LSAC fee waiver and your application components are essentially done, just apply. You miss 100% of the shots you do not take. If you don't get in - no money lost and you can always applying the following cycle :)

+1

Nothing beats a failure but a try...

Yes I agree. I am applying this cycle even though I have been convinced by the lovely TLS folks to retake the LSAT in June and apply next cycle. It can't hurt.

Angrygeopolitically

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Go through the bibles several times. (LR & LG Bible) Take notes. Make note-cards. Go through the REA Logic Games book after this.
Take a practice test every day for a month after you have done this, leading up to the lsat. If you still do not have a score in the 160s, don't go to law school unless it is free or nearly free.

MHO

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”