Can I be considered an URM?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bdn3191

Can I be considered an URM?

Postby bdn3191 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi all! Been shadowing this forum for a while now and I've got a bunch of great tips and tricks thanks to you guys! I am just a bit confused about if I can be considered a URM. I am an Indian (South Asian) male, but my father is a 2nd generation Zimbabwean and my mother is an Indian national. I now have my American citizenship as do my parents. I also lived in Africa for about 8 years of my life. What do you guys think?

Many thanks for your time folks.

ben4847

Re: Can I be considered an URM?

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 am

I assume you are asking if you are "African American."
I doubt it.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 am

As best I know (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you don't qualify for a URM in terms of what LSAC is looking for. Traditionally, URMs are Native American, African American, or Mexican American. It doesn't appear that you are any of those. You are still a "minority" by definition, but for the purposes of the much talked about "URM boost" I dno that you would qualify for that. You are, however, quite diverse. I would suggest playing that up in your applications as it may work to your favor in a similar way (although not the same extent) as being URM might.

Take a look at this link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html

It should help answer some of your questions.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 am

bdn3191 wrote:Hi all! Been shadowing this forum for a while now and I've got a bunch of great tips and tricks thanks to you guys! I am just a bit confused about if I can be considered a URM. I am an Indian (South Asian) male, but my father is a 2nd generation Zimbabwean and my mother is an Indian national. I now have my American citizenship as do my parents. I also lived in Africa for about 8 years of my life. What do you guys think?

Good game.

bdn3191

Postby bdn3191 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:06 am

Thanks all for the replies!

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:16 pm

bdn3191 wrote:! I am just a bit confused about if I can be considered a URM. I am an Indian (South Asian) male, but my father is a 2nd generation Zimbabwean and my mother is an Indian national.

Since Zimbabwe is in Africa and India is in Asia, I believe you would need to check both African and Asian ethnicity boxes. If by Zimbabwean you mean white farmers who lived there for the last two hundreds years, then you might have a problem. Technically it would be true either way.

bdn3191

Postby bdn3191 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
bdn3191 wrote:! I am just a bit confused about if I can be considered a URM. I am an Indian (South Asian) male, but my father is a 2nd generation Zimbabwean and my mother is an Indian national.

Since Zimbabwe is in Africa and India is in Asia, I believe you would need to check both African and Asian ethnicity boxes. If by Zimbabwean you mean white farmers who lived there for the last two hundreds years, then you might have a problem. Technically it would be true either way.

Yeah, I checked both. And, no, I don't mean white farmers who invaded the area for the last two hundred years haha.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 pm

bdn3191 wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Yeah, I checked both. And, no, I don't mean white farmers who invaded the area for the last two hundred years haha.

Yes, you are an AA URM as long as your father is not of Asian ancestry.

bdn3191

Postby bdn3191 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 am

bdubs wrote:Yes, you are an AA URM as long as your father is not of Asian ancestry.

Hmm... Thing is, my father's family is mixed with pure Zimbabweans and individuals with South Asian ancestry. Tricky situation here! I have a feeling a good DS may act in the same way, regardless.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”