Puerto Rican and Costa Rican

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Leaborb192

Re: Puerto Rican and Costa Rican

Postby Leaborb192 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Omberon wrote:Will this hurt or help my chances. Not many, if any, who are both, in fact not many Costa Ricans in the US. For obvious reasons. A lot of schools ask for HIspanic and then a race, what actually helps? What about if I am the 1st in my family to go to Law school and College?

You're probably pretty good. I just assume there's a lot of competition from URM out there, no? A lot of Hispanics going to law school w/ similar stories competing for that top law school and top scholarship dollar. You'll have to do something that makes you stand out from the crowd because I'm pretty sure you're not the only Hispanic who will be attending law school that is the first in his family to even graduate from college. Did you have a serious hardship in your life? A serious struggle that you had to overcome? What makes you unique? What makes you deserving of law school admission and more importantly-- financial aid if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck. :lol:

PS: I love Costa Rica. Es un pais muy lindo; espero regresar pronto. Tambien me gustaria viajar a Puerto Rico. Quizas estudiar la ley alli?

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 pm

PS: I loveCosta Rica. Es un pais muy lindo; espero regresar pronto. Tambien me gustaria viajar a Puerto Rico. Quizas estudiar la ley alli?

We speak AMERICAN in these parts of the forum.

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
PS: I loveCosta Rica. Es un pais muy lindo; espero regresar pronto. Tambien me gustaria viajar a Puerto Rico. Quizas estudiar la ley alli?

We speak AMERICAN in these parts of the forum.

Sorry. I ain't gonna speak no mexican no more! :oops:

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Being Puerto Rican counts as URM, even if being Costa Rican doesn't. So you should be fine.

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Omberon wrote:
Leaborb192 wrote:
Omberon wrote:Will this hurt or help my chances. Not many, if any, who are both, in fact not many Costa Ricans in the US. For obvious reasons. A lot of schools ask for HIspanic and then a race, what actually helps? What about if I am the 1st in my family to go to Law school and College?

You're probably pretty good. I just assume there's a lot of competition from URM out there, no? A lot of Hispanics going to law school w/ similar stories competing for that top law school and top scholarship dollar. You'll have to do something that makes you stand out from the crowd because I'm pretty sure you're not the only Hispanic who will be attending law school that is the first in his family to even graduate from college. Did you have a serious hardship in your life? A serious struggle that you had to overcome? What makes you unique? What makes you deserving of law school admission and more importantly-- financial aid if that's what you're looking for.

PS: I love Costa Rica. Es un pais muy lindo; espero regresar pronto. Tambien me gustaria viajar a Puerto Rico. Quizas estudiar la ley alli?

I do actually, my dad grew up abandon and starving most of his life, my mom was raped at early age and had my brother, we grew up on housing and went to rich school system because a program they had here. If it wasn't for that help I would not be here today lol. Is that enough?

Gracias, Si me gustaria estudiar Ley en Puerto Rico o Costa Rica.

Diria que si, ahora diles tu historia. Sabia que habia mas. :)

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Si gracias. Bueno entonces crees que tengo buen chance para ir a una escuela como harvard?

creo que si. por que no?

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Omberon wrote:
Leaborb192 wrote:
Si gracias. Bueno entonces crees que tengo buen chance para ir a una escuela como harvard?

creo que si. por que no?

crees? no por que es harvard es muy dificil por eso no =P.

PERO tienes que creer en ti mismo; si lo quieres y trabajas duro-- todo es posible. :D

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 am

I say yes. But what do I know? I'd apply and then just see what happens. I really don't know what Harvard is looking for because that's not where I have my sights set. I want to attend school in Florida.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Omberon wrote:
Leaborb192 wrote:

I do actually, my dad grew up abandon and starving most of his life, my mom was raped at early age and had my brother, we grew up on housing and went to rich school system because a program they had here. If it wasn't for that help I would not be here today lol. Is that enough?

Fellow PR here... My mom had a really rough upbringing, but a big thing I had to realize while writing my DS is that her story is different from mine. Yes my mom grew up in the poorest area of the bronx, yes she got to college and overcame so much... but that is her story. I think we should focus on differentiating ourselves from our parents. It could be good if you discuss how your personal narrative was influenced by your mother/father's challenges... but beyond that

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Omberon wrote:
Leaborb192 wrote:

Fellow PR here... My mom had a really rough upbringing, but a big thing I had to realize while writing my DS is that her story is different from mine. Yes my mom grew up in the poorest area of the bronx, yes she got to college and overcame so much... but that is her story. I think we should focus on differentiating ourselves from our parents. It could be good if you discuss how your personal narrative was influenced by your mother/father's challenges... but beyond that

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm a PR/CR, too. You're right, state-side CRs are rare... mostly because they generally don't want to leave paradise. Unfortunately for my Dad, he lived in poverty and fled to the US to escape it.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”