How does the slugglish economy impact URM grads?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
barbizon

How does the slugglish economy impact URM grads?

Postby barbizon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Has it impacted us more/less substantially? Do biglaw firms actively seek minorities to maintain a diverse atmosphere like law school?

Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated. I was just admitted to GW. No scholarship information yet, and I'm nervous at the prospect of having a lot of debt and few job options.

paulshortys10

Re: How does the slugglish economy impact URM grads?

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 pm

I'd be interested in this answer too..

Also beneficial is it being bilingual(Spanish)?

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Tagged. Interested in this as well.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:25 pm

My 2 cents

barbizon wrote:Has it impacted us more/less substantially?

Yes, less jobs. URM's historically get axed faster and have a harder time finding a job in a bad economy.

barbizon wrote:Do biglaw firms actively seek minorities to maintain a diverse atmosphere like law school?

Not like law school. There are no mandates. Biglaw firms like big companies actively seek minorities. Less so in a bad economy. First to get axed, hardest to hire.

barbizon wrote:Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated. I was just admitted to GW. No scholarship information yet, and I'm nervous at the prospect of having a lot of debt and few job options.

Congrats on your acceptance to GW. Is that your first or top choice?

Historically educated minorities are hesitant to add debt, especially in a bad economy. An informed school will know these historical trends (many have mentioned them to me). Talk to the financial aid department and repeatedly mention that you are a minority and you are very very nervous at the prospect of having a lot of debt in this bad economy, especially with few job options. I have been told by many financial aid people (law school), that they will then take care of you (for lack of a better phrase).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”