CLEO 2012

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ilawyer202

Re: CLEO 2012

Postby ilawyer202 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:14 pm

sdphill wrote:Question: did anyone receive the acceptance and it stated that you are required to attend the law school that nominated you?

Did you? My acceptance didn't mention a school nominating me; I sent Bernetta an email asking about that though.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:
sdphill wrote:Question: did anyone receive the acceptance and it stated that you are required to attend the law school that nominated you?

Did you? My acceptance didn't mention a school nominating me; I sent Bernetta an email asking about that though.

Yeah... I have been sending Bernetta emails... But she basically was like "you abide by it or the offer is off the table."

rare_commodity

Postby rare_commodity » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm

So are yall going to go? If so which location would you prefer?

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:25 pm

rare_commodity wrote:So are yall going to go? If so which location would you prefer?

Considering it, waiting on Bernetta to answer my questions. I would probably do Mississippi if they give us a choice. You?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:
rare_commodity wrote:So are yall going to go? If so which location would you prefer?

Considering it, waiting on Bernetta to answer my questions. I would probably do Mississippi if they give us a choice. You?

+1 to both sentences

rare_commodity

Postby rare_commodity » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:52 pm

If I go MS for me too. :)

cal4law

Postby cal4law » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:30 am

I would prefer to go to Ole Miss for the Six Week Summer Institute. Does anyone know if you can request a preference in location after you've been selected to attend?

wontpanic

Postby wontpanic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm

I requested a location but I got a response saying that they would "try" to accommodate my choice. I got into Cuny Law which doesn't rank so there isn't that pressure to be at the top. The main reason I wanted to go was for the head start and I feel I no longer need it. The second reason was for the grant money after completing the program but I read that they lost their funding for grants.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Former CLEO 6-Week Participant here. (Summer 2011)

CLEO is truly a beneficial program and you are lucky if you get accepted to the program. The previous posts about the difficulty and intensity of the program are accurate. You'll be skewered in class, oral argument and in your overall professionalism, but without a doubt you'll come out much more prepared for law school.

Don't think too much about the doctrinal law you're going to learn, because it will all change once you get to your law school. I can specifically remember everything I learned in contracts over the summer comprising maybe 20 minutes of discussion in my actual law school contracts class. It's the methods of studying, briefing, and especially writing, that will help you out in the fall. I think only Civil Procedure from CLEO was applicable to my actual law school, because that class is based on federal procedure law and uniform throughout law schools.

For the record, I think I counted 5 or 6 fellow CLEO mates, including myself, who got the top honors in our LS for oral advocacy. I'm pretty sure I can speak for all of them in that we can trace our success to our CLEO professor, a former district attorney.

And even more importantly, CLEO somehow got financial assistance offers for us. We were told at the end of summer that due to Congressional budget cuts, we lost our $. Either they got it back or did some superb fundraising because we all got checks a few months ago ranging from $1000-$2000. So you can see, the $2k pricetag for the summer will be recouped, not only reimbursed, but in knowledge and confidence.

And if your on a waitlist, CLEO will help you get off. Several students got off WL's either during or after the CLEO program. Also, law schools seeking to fill a certain demographic in their entering classes will come and interview at CLEO, either in person or via Skype, with offers including scholarship money on the spot. The schools will change from year to year based on their needs, but last summer, I recall American, Pitt, Wisconsin and Ohio State coming to interview.

Most importantly, I feel, is the network you get. You will become great friends with 40 other entering law school students from similar backgrounds. Our FB group is still active, and many of us to this day still keep in constant contact. Even though we're all scattered throughout the US, including schools ranked as high as Top-5, we're still close. Any time I visit any major US city, I got a CLEO connect to visit or crash with. I'm confident these friendships will be fruitful post-law school as well.

In short...DO CLEO. It will change your life
Last edited by Gaucho on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:35 am

Gaucho wrote:Former CLEO 6-Week Participant here. (Summer 2011)

In short...DO CLEO. It will change your life

Thank you for this response! Truly what I needed to hear; I actually sent off the remainder of my fee yesterday :) Looking forward to it!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am

ilawyer202 wrote:

Considering it, waiting on Bernetta to answer my questions.

some things never change...

a tough cookie on the phone/email, but she's truly a sweetheart. You'll meet her in person if you end up doing CLEO.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:36 am

i'm assuming it's too late to be considered for this but, how did you all find out about this opportunity

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Just sent in all of my money today! Hope to get MS!

cal4law

Postby cal4law » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Although I was hoping for Mississippi, I've been assigned to William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, MN for the Six Week Summer Institute. Is there anyone else who have been assigned to this location? I will start a Facebook page and post the link shortly. Good luck to all of you!

cal4law

Postby cal4law » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Here is the Facebook group page for those attending the 2012 Six Week Summer Institute at William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul , MN.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/264771766953293/

Thanks. I look forward to meeting you all.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:01 am

cal4law wrote:Here is the Facebook group page for those attending the 2012 Six Week Summer Institute at William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul , MN.

How do you know which location you were assigned to?

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 am

Gaucho wrote:
ilawyer202 wrote:

Considering it, waiting on Bernetta to answer my questions.

some things never change...

a tough cookie on the phone/email, but she's truly a sweetheart. You'll meet her in person if you end up doing CLEO.

She sounds like a sweetheart. What all did you do at CLEO (ie. classes, seminars, etc.) and what did you find most beneficial?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:18 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:She sounds like a sweetheart. What all did you do at CLEO (ie. classes, seminars, etc.) and what did you find most beneficial?

Classes--We had Civil Procedure, Torts and Contracts as well as Legal Practice & Writing--all taught by actual professors. Although truncated, the professors still conduct classes just as if they were in law school. They'll start you slow off at first but be prepared for straight cold calls. Some classes had midterms too. Legal Practice/Writing for me was most helpful. Just learning how to dive into Lexis and Westlaw should be a whole class in itself, and many of us were up into the wee-hours of the morning trying to find cases to use on our memos. Needless to say, life was much much easier come fall when I was writing my real memos.

Other Activities--We also had a 3 week mini-class on oral advocacy from a deputy district attorney. As I stated earlier, several of the CLEO fellows won top honors in their respective law schools for your 1L oral argument, and this training definitely had a large part to do with it. There was also workshops on financial literacy, interviewing skills, networking, and professionalism. We all went to the federal district courthouse and met with a federal judge who brought in colleagues and friends to talk with us about the practice.

Schools--in the midst of all this, many students were also preparing for interviews with potential schools. Like I said, law schools will come and try and fill up spots in their incoming class with CLEO students. Some offered admission on the spot, while some will interview you and wait pending your final CLEO grades.

Fun--while it was definitely a lot of work, there was still time for fun. We had a CLEO-wide beach bbq hosted by the school. Also, after midterms we had 2 days off, so many of us did road trips up to LA or to Vegas. I don't know about your housing arrangements, but we were all housed on 1 floor of a college residence hall, so the typical madness that went down your freshman year of college will definitely apply here.

cal4law

Postby cal4law » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:36 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:
cal4law wrote:Here is the Facebook group page for those attending the 2012 Six Week Summer Institute at William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul , MN.

How do you know which location you were assigned to?

After CLEO has received your entire balance of $2000.00, they will send out an email informing you of your assignment for the Six Week Summer Institute. In addition, there is a form attached to the email, which you will state whether or not your are seeking placement assistance if you have not yet been accepted to an ABA accredited law school. While you do have information on the location, you will have to wait further for more specific information regarding housing, board, what to bring, etc. from the director of the prospective law school

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:42 am

Gaucho wrote:
ilawyer202 wrote:She sounds like a sweetheart. What all did you do at CLEO (ie. classes, seminars, etc.) and what did you find most beneficial?
........, so the typical madness that went down your freshman year of college will definitely apply here.

Do you know if CLEO would try to place someone in a school not in their consortium (like udc) ? I am on "hold" there and it is my number one choice :-/

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

CLEO said they would work with UDC to try and facilitate placement :) Wish me luck. Also, I received my placement today: the University of Mississippi School of Law in Oxford, MS. Hope to see you there!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm

ilawyer202 wrote:Do you know if CLEO would try to place someone in a school not in their consortium (like udc) ? I am on "hold" there and it is my number one choice :-/

Don't go into CLEO expecting to be placed. You need to hustle on your own. If your on a waitlist, call the admissions office and explain your situation, and how you're trying to better prepare yourself for law school by doing CLEO.

Don't forget your taking classes and will receive grades/transcript at the end of the program. While of course this isn't "official" in that its part of your academic record, the schools are familiar with CLEO will absolutely take a look at it and assess your preparation for law school. They’ll ask you to send your transcript at the end of the program…if you come into CLEO and kill it, that might be enough to bump you off the WL.

Other students, during CLEO, flew out to schools they were WL'd at and interviewed with. That alone, plus CLEO bumped them off the WL.

Some students didn’t get placed anywhere. Believe me it’s gonna suck for those few students who go through the entire summer preparing for law school and not end up anywhere, while the other 40 or so are going while your left behind. It will be awkward…don’t be one of those!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that CLEO isn't a “placement program”. You can't count on the schools that are coming to interview for a spot. They are looking for a specific demographic, with certain grades. I.E one school would come in and asked to interview all the African-American students with at least a 155 LSAT. Or another school would come in and ask to interview all your students with a 3.4 GPA or higher, and want to go to school on the East Coast. They're not interviewing the entire program...just those that will fill their class. There is 1 admission rep flying in, for one day, from the other side of the country, for the sole purpose of topping off her entering class. They’re aren’t interested in talking with you about how great the schools are, or what they have to offer. They’ve been doing that for the past 9 months.

On that note if you are selected for an interview, you got to bring your A game. One thing to do now is work on your resume and answers to questions. The first question coming out of their mouth is “You didn’t apply to our school in the fall, why are you interested now?” You can’t just say because I’m desperate. Figure out an answer.

Some students are coming into the program locked in to their school of choice. Some are on waitlists at schools and are trying to get off. Some are deposited at a school, but want to upgrade their choice. Some aren’t in anywhere, and are just trying to get in somewhere. Whatever your situation, if your trying to get in, or move up, you need to come prepared to hustle to get yours.

ilawyer202

Postby ilawyer202 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:
ilawyer202 wrote:Do you know if CLEO would try to place someone in a school not in their consortium (like udc) ? I am on "hold" there and it is my number one choice :-/

Don't go into CLEO expecting to be placed....hustle to get yours.

Right I know they only facilitate placement where possible. And by placement in MS, I was referring to the Summer Institute placement :)

I definitely understand where you are coming from, I have a few books about the classes I will take and about briefing, exams, etc. I also took a 5 week course on Torts and Contracts last summer so I hope that helps! I am currently filling out the form sent by Ms. Hayes with accepts, wait lists, etc. Just 5 minutes ago, I received an internship offer from a top law firm in DC that conflicts with the CLEO program! :( I hope the manager approves that I can begin the internship a month late.

Jllrer

Postby Jllrer » Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello everyone. Long time lurker :wink: , first time poster. I sent my final money order a couple of weeks ago and now I'm just waiting to hear back from Bernetta. Hope to get William Mitchell.

rare_commodity

Postby rare_commodity » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Any updates...how did it go?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”