Is it worth it to disclose being gay?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jim1986

Is it worth it to disclose being gay?

Postby jim1986 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Does anyone know whether or not it helps if you disclose being homosexual? I am also curious if anyone knows of a good DS example. Thank you.

lsatwizkid

Re: Is it worth it to disclose being gay?

Postby lsatwizkid » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 am

DS on this might boost your chances a little I think.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:28 am

Wouldn't hurt unless it's Pepperdine, Liberty, Notre Dame, etc.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 am

You ask if it's "worth" it. Is there a cost to you? You'll likely get targeted emails and mailings either from or about the school's LGBTQ groups. If that's something that would be a problem for you, it might not be worth it. It's unlikely to give you an admissions boost.

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:29 am

IAFG wrote:You ask if it's "worth" it. Is there a cost to you? You'll likely get targeted emails and mailings either from or about the school's LGBTQ groups. If that's something that would be a problem for you, it might not be worth it. It's unlikely to give you an admissions boost.

Nah, LGBT does get a boost. They are looked as "underrepresented." That always seemed silly to me since anyone on an elite undergraduate/law campus will tell you if anything they are well well overrepresented. If you haven't noticed from many of the sample essays given out even by Yale this round, a lot of people play it up to get that advantage.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:55 am

To the extent that your LGBTness plays an apparent and essential role in what you've done, then I think it makes sense for you to write a DS. Now.... if that's not the case, then of course you should indicate that your LGBT on your application (most schools have a check box for this), but I would not write a whole DS. It would seem contrived.

jim1986

Postby jim1986 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

I have yet to see a question regarding sexuality on any of the applications I am filling out.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:14 pm

jim1986 wrote:I have yet to see a question regarding sexuality on any of the applications I am filling out.

Only a few schools I applied to asked directly (I think Chicago and Berkeley were among the few that did); however, if you signed up for CAS they asked there so it will be indicated in the demographic information sent LSAC sends to the school. Personally, I would agree with the posters above. You certainly don't have anything to lose by indicating it (at least not at any school you'd be comfortable studying at anyway).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 pm

lats19nys wrote:Nah, LGBT does get a boost.

Prove it. LSN doesn't indicate that. Schools may want you to believe they're boosting for a number of things that will make them seem holistic and interested in diversity but that's pretty much lip service.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:45 pm

You think admissions officers look to see if anybody in their class is lgbt? Sure they do. Who wants to be the one school without any lgbt students? That would cause a major shitstorm at most universities this side of BYU.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:00 pm

ec2xs wrote:You think admissions officers look to see if anybody in their class is lgbt? Sure they do. Who wants to be the one school without any lgbt students? That would cause a major shitstorm at most universities this side of BYU.

But you don't have to boost any LGBT applicants to achieve this.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:17 pm

IAFG wrote:
ec2xs wrote:You think admissions officers look to see if anybody in their class is lgbt? Sure they do. Who wants to be the one school without any lgbt students? That would cause a major shitstorm at most universities this side of BYU.

Not a quantitative boost, no. But it does help to ensure a diverse class. Schools are receptive to all sorts of diversity that aren't quantifiable: age, military services, geographic location, gender. Why would it not matter if a student is lgbt? I know my university prides itself on its diversity, and it shows in more ways than just race.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:25 pm

IAFG wrote:
lats19nys wrote:Nah, LGBT does get a boost.

Prove it. LSN doesn't indicate that. Schools may want you to believe they're boosting for a number of things that will make them seem holistic and interested in diversity but that's pretty much lip service.

I know the numbers and admission statistics of most of the 25 1L's that attend my school. We all performed exactly as anticipated by LSN and LSP.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 pm

ec2xs wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Not a quantitative boost, no. But it does help to ensure a diverse class. Schools are receptive to all sorts of diversity that aren't quantifiable: age, military services, geographic location, gender. Why would it not matter if a student is lgbt? I know my university prides itself on its diversity, and it shows in more ways than just race.

If a boost exists over a class with a big enough sample size, it's going to emerge in the data. If ti's not quantifiable, what is it worth to an applicant?

I am not saying you shouldn't disclose it. It's just not going to help you in admissions.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”