Native American

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
STLMizzou

Native American

Postby STLMizzou » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:58 am

So when I was talking to my parents about URM and law school my dad told my grandmother was full blooded Native American (Cherokee). I never knew this before, he doesn't really talk about her and she died well before I was born (suicide when my dad was 17, doesn’t get talked about because of my dad’s side of the family has a history with drug abuse/depression).

I have never been a member of a tribe, and I am a very white male with blue eyes and my hair turns blonde in the summer, i.e. I look about as far from Native American as possible.
He said that he looked into being certified as Native American, but due to lack of documentation on her the only way to do it is a DNA test to establish ancestry.
I don’t know if I should put down the fact that I am 1/4th Native American, it feels like I am taking advantage of the system. Should I? And should I get the DNA test so I have proof?

northerniowan

Re: Native American

Postby northerniowan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Of course you should say that you're Native American on applications. I would if I were you. I would have gotten into the University of Minnesota. Being a minority (or atleast an underrepresented minority) is huge in getting admitted. And you're not even lying.

80eight

Postby 80eight » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:31 pm

As far as I know (which is only from reading this website), you have to be a registered member of a tribe. I would double check with an authority (like LSAC), honestly.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 am

My dad got a DNA test that establishes heritage, which was enough for a government contracting job reserved for Native Americans.

But I have already submitted my apps, and I feel like writing an email telling them about my situation would be taking advantage of a system I frankly have no real merit taking advantage of. The URM bump should be reserved for people who have faced adversity because of their minority status, and be used to create a diverse student body. I would simply be using it for a bump and I don’t think that’s right.

Maybe I will join a Native American group at law school, learn a little bit about my heritage.
Thank you for your advice!

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:28 am

STLMizzou wrote: but due to lack of documentation on her the only way to do it is a DNA test to establish ancestry.

Incorrect, most tribes keep a registry. If your Grandmother was NA, she was born on a reservation, or her parents were born on a reservation. Most tribes have a record of such. Mormon Christians also have huge genealogical registries and databases with names and information about everyone that has ever lived in the United States. Do your due diligence.

Ancestry.com is one of many places.

Heck, if you PM me your familial information, I'll do a quick check.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”