Native American student looking to apply to Law School!!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Jjtimberlake

Native American student looking to apply to Law School!!

Postby Jjtimberlake » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I am a member of the Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe. My father is in the military. I attend Quinnipiac University as a International Business Major. My LSAT score was a 158 and my UGPA is a 3.45. Do I have a chance of getting into a top 20 Law School? If not what can I do to increase my odds?

JamMasterJ

Re: Native American student looking to apply to Law School!!

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Jjtimberlake wrote:I am a member of the Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe. My father is in the military. I attend Quinnipiac University as a International Business Major. My LSAT score was a 158 and my UGPA is a 3.45. Do I have a chance of getting into a top 20 Law School? If not what can I do to increase my odds?

I think you have a shot as it stands, but obviously a score in the mid 160s would put you securely in the top 14, so I guess the best advice we can give you is to retake the LSAT

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Try Cornell.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 am

Jjtimberlake wrote:I am a member of the Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe. My father is in the military. I attend Quinnipiac University as a International Business Major. My LSAT score was a 158 and my UGPA is a 3.45. Do I have a chance of getting into a top 20 Law School? If not what can I do to increase my odds?

Try them all. There is a huge shortage of NAs in law school. I think you will be surprised where you get in. I would include how you will be the first person ever from your tribe to graduate from law school (assuming that is true). That would be something big for the schools to brag about.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

MormonChristian wrote:

Try them all. There is a huge shortage of NAs in law school. I think you will be surprised where you get in. I would include how you will be the first person ever from your tribe to graduate from law school (assuming that is true). That would be something big for the schools to brag about.

+1. I think that being Native American is literally the best URM for admissions purposes (from my observations so far).

willwash

Postby willwash » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Retake. You're almost a lock with $$ everywhere but HYS if you can get up to 170.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 pm

willwash wrote:Retake. You're almost a lock with $$ everywhere but HYS if you can get up to 170.

yeah, you're still a little low to hit the T6. You could get those if you get a little higher

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”