2011-2012 LGBT thread!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lrslayer

Re: 2011-2012 LGBT thread!

Postby lrslayer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:02 pm

mieri wrote:I got several mailings before my transcript was on file, but not until after I'd taken my LSAT. (Did LSAT first, then sent my transcripts.)

I'm a little concerned because I sent in a DS on being a lesbian to a Jesuit school. I'm thinking that it might be a concern, even if they have an LGBT group. But then again, I wouldn't want to go to a school that gets upset because of who I am, so... ;;;;;

My ds was about being a closeted lesbian in the marine corps and i just got into bc so no worries
Last edited by lrslayer on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minkopolis

Postby minkopolis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Glad to see this thread! I, too, wrote about being a lesbian in my PS, a hate crime I experienced on account, and the effects/activism projects I subsequently undertook...don't think it will have a negative impact on my applications; even if it did, why on earth would I want to attend that university? Of course, I'm terrible at taking standardized tests, so I should probably watch that ;)

As far as LGBT-related mailings from schools, I've gotten Santa Clara, UC Hastings, and a really interesting one from NYLS (though I have no intention of going there). Santa Clara included a diversity fee waiver, which I thought was neat. The email from them was also pretty entertaining.

Jante05

Postby Jante05 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I submitted my ps removed ds about being an immigrant and me being a lesb. I did respond providing contact as far as my partner(fiance) and checked the boxed or responded to some question about LGBT. My main question was URM stat because I'm Filipino > asian so no points there.
Cautioned not to put GLBT. Any thoughts?
I have a few more apps to send.
LSAT stat: 141 retake 159 this Dec. Although practice scores were 162-166 from the 15 most recent LSAT. I'm not sure if I should retake. Lately I have a heavy workload.
P.S. I paid 100% of my tuition in college while working 45hrs/week. Last 2 semesters was able to take 6 classes work ft....65+ hours between work and school excluding travel & study time.
Good luck to everyone :)

melt

Postby melt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 am

Glad to know the awesome LGBT programs.

173/URM...well, i think asian is actually ORM. I am thinking about putting the homophobia I've encountered in my PS too, but hesitating since I haven't involved in any LGBT voluntary activities.

Jante05

Postby Jante05 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 pm

melt wrote:Glad to know the awesome LGBT programs.

173/URM...well, i think asian is actually ORM. I am thinking about putting the homophobia I've encountered in my PS too, but hesitating since I haven't involved in any LGBT voluntary activities.

what is orm? on my ps i mentioned briefly about being les, how that caused conflict w/ rents which affected school etc etc I did work my a off to get my BA, not exaggerating w/ senior year 18-19 credits/semester and FT employment. I was on the go Mon-Sun.
not at all active in LGBT community

addy11

Postby addy11 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Yeah, I would stay away from this unless you plan on becoming involved via your JD. Even then, the law schools might say "How do we know this person will do this? There's no evidence." Unlike with UG, sob stories don't seem to be relevant, unless they tie in with a broader idea of combatting injustice which inspires your desire to become an attorney (but this also is sort of murky, imo).

With your LSAT, the schools you'll be competitive have a high bar for strong personal statements, and it seems like they do factor into the admissions decisions.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 pm

No one has mentioned Iowa.

I went there for undergrad and for as small of a town as it is, it's easily one of the most gay-friendly places I've been (and this is coming from someone who is from Chicago). I'm not as familiar with their OUTlaws group, but I know their undergrad LGBT organization is very active.

I applied to Iowa's law school and my PS addressed my participation in the LGBT community and Iowa's dean left a nice note about my PS on my admissions letter.

melt

Postby melt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Jante05 wrote:

what is orm? on my ps i mentioned briefly about being les, how that caused conflict w/ rents which affected school etc etc I did work my a off to get my BA, not exaggerating w/ senior year 18-19 credits/semester and FT employment. I was on the go Mon-Sun.
not at all active in LGBT community

ORM=overrepresented majority

addy11 wrote:

Yeah, I would stay away from this unless you plan on becoming involved via your JD. Even then, the law schools might say "How do we know this person will do this? There's no evidence." Unlike with UG, sob stories don't seem to be relevant, unless they tie in with a broader idea of combatting injustice which inspires your desire to become an attorney (but this also is sort of murky, imo).

With your LSAT, the schools you'll be competitive have a high bar for strong personal statements, and it seems like they do factor into the admissions decisions.

Yeah, this is exactly what I am worried about most - a strong PS.....I would leave out the homophobia part.=3

clarion

Postby clarion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 am

addy11 wrote:

Yeah, this is exactly what I am worried about most - a strong PS.....I would leave out the homophobia part.=3[/quote]

Sorry, don't know if it's too late to give my two cents, but though I think you're correct to not include it in your personal statement, it might make an interesting topic for a diversity statement? I mean, if the event changed you in ANY way, even if not directly correlated to your desire to practice law or become involved in your community, it might help (or at least not hurt). Granted, you don't want to tell a sob story and then just leave at that: As if, you hope sympathy will get you admitted. But if that has shaped you into being a stronger person (as I imagine it must have?) then I don't see anything wrong with including it in a diversity statement.

But again, without knowing more about the situation, I can't say that including would actually help your apps in ANY way :\ Just thought I'd put that out there in case you hadn't considered that option.

I apologize if that wasn't earth-shatteringly helpful :lol: but good luck to you!!

Edit: And also, unfortunately, Asian most definitely is not a URM lol :P

melt

Postby melt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:47 am

clarion wrote:Sorry, don't know if it's too late to give my two cents, but though I think you're correct to not include it in your personal statement, it might make an interesting topic for a diversity statement? I mean, if the event changed you in ANY way, even if not directly correlated to your desire to practice law or become involved in your community, it might help (or at least not hurt). Granted, you don't want to tell a sob story and then just leave at that: As if, you hope sympathy will get you admitted. But if that has shaped you into being a stronger person (as I imagine it must have?) then I don't see anything wrong with including it in a diversity statement.

Edit: And also, unfortunately, Asian most definitely is not a URM lol :P

I am really grateful to you guys!!! Same idea as yours, a diversity statement may be a better choice. Your suggestions do help, never doubt that <3

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Checking in! I have nothing really to add that hasn't been said already, but. Token queer Rrom individual. 8D

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 am

lesbian checking in here =)..i will most likely be attending w&l this fall...what i am worried about though is my attire, i predominately dress masculine but when I dress professionally I dress feminine..i guess you can call me a flip flopper but anyway, I'm worried that other students may think I'm just confusing..lol

addy11

Postby addy11 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 am

anjmissy wrote:lesbian checking in here =)..i will most likely be attending w&l this fall...what i am worried about though is my attire, i predominately dress masculine but when I dress professionally I dress feminine..i guess you can call me a flip flopper but anyway, I'm worried that other students may think I'm just confusing..lol

Hey there! I'm assuming since you went to JMU that you've been to W&L and know if its reputation as the most far right of the t50 law schools. I've heard of outright hostility/antipathy to queer people at their law school specifically.

It looks like you have some great options. Any chance you would consider elsewhere, or are you confident you can manage with those good ol' boys?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:20 pm

addy11 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:lesbian checking in here =)..i will most likely be attending w&l this fall...what i am worried about though is my attire, i predominately dress masculine but when I dress professionally I dress feminine..i guess you can call me a flip flopper but anyway, I'm worried that other students may think I'm just confusing..lol

Hey there! I'm assuming since you went to JMU that you've been to W&L and know if its reputation as the most far right of the t50 law schools. I've heard of outright hostility/antipathy to queer people at their law school specifically.

It looks like you have some great options. Any chance you would consider elsewhere, or are you confident you can manage with those good ol' boys?

well i contacted a member of their out group on campus, and the individual was really helpful..a line in the email that truly informed me of how it is there was this "In my experience, W and L is a fairly open and accepting place to go to school. True, it is fairly conservative, which is hard for the liberals among us; but I have never known anyone to act inappropriately toward someone because of their sexual orientation. OutLaw is a fairly active and visible group in the law school, despite our small contingent of out GLBT students. Those who don't support us, tend simply to ignore us."

I'm 90% set on this school because of scholarship money, the ability to state in my home state, and also their innovative third year program..but where/when have you heard of hostility from w&l?..I've heard of maybe one or two isolated events but i try to not let events like that deter me from a great institution. As far as my other options go, Mason i felt was a no no for me because 1 it would be more than W&L since W&L is giving me money, and two I have a fellow pre law frat brother who attends the program and he doesnt speak highly of the school. Another competitive school I was admitted to was Wake Forest but thats in NC and I'm lazy and don't want to take all of my stuff down to NC..lol

also, my gf was also accepted to W&L so the possibility of us attending the same law school is amazing, (even though she is still waiting to hear from higher ranked schools that i did not apply to i.e Duke, Berkeley, Nortre Dame, and so on.)

Also I have not been to lexington yet, even though it is only a one hour drive from me I'm going to wait until their february ASW to visit. But with my identity (black, female, and gay (mom always calls it the triple strike..lol)) I don't want to run from a school because someone may not like my orientation, i think its just best to deal with it now.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm

anjmissy wrote:well i contacted a member of their out group on campus, and the individual was really helpful..a line in the email that truly informed me of how it is there was this "In my experience, W and L is a fairly open and accepting place to go to school. True, it is fairly conservative, which is hard for the liberals among us; but I have never known anyone to act inappropriately toward someone because of their sexual orientation. OutLaw is a fairly active and visible group in the law school, despite our small contingent of out GLBT students. Those who don't support us, tend simply to ignore us."

Hmm. Not exactly glowing praise. Especially considering that representatives of OutLaw/Lambda groups tend to try to present the the campus atmosphere in a relatively flattering light, something that sounds an awful lot like "we feel marginalized and kind of unwelcome but at least the homophobia isn't overt" is a bit of a red flag. I know this is a really great choice for you in other respects, so if you want to go here that's totally understandable. For me, just personally, though, hearing that would make me feel really reluctant to go to this school. I wouldn't want to spend my law school career feeling like I'm struggling to fit in or feeling really uncomfortable. If you've got a thicker skin than I do and feel like you'd be more immune to that kind of thing, you might be better set for that kind of experience, but just for me it would be a deal-breaker. Just my two cents.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm

anjmissy wrote:well i contacted a member of their out group on campus, and the individual was really helpful..a line in the email that truly informed me of how it is there was this "In my experience, W and L is a fairly open and accepting place to go to school. True, it is fairly conservative, which is hard for the liberals among us; but I have never known anyone to act inappropriately toward someone because of their sexual orientation. OutLaw is a fairly active and visible group in the law school, despite our small contingent of out GLBT students. Those who don't support us, tend simply to ignore us."

Hmm. Not exactly glowing praise. Especially considering that representatives of OutLaw/Lambda groups tend to try to present the the campus atmosphere in a relatively flattering light, something that sounds an awful lot like "we feel marginalized and kind of unwelcome but at least the homophobia isn't overt" is a bit of a red flag. I know this is a really great choice for you in other respects, so if you want to go here that's totally understandable. For me, just personally, though, hearing that would make me feel really reluctant to go to this school. I wouldn't want to spend my law school career feeling like I'm struggling to fit in or feeling really uncomfortable. If you've got a thicker skin than I do and feel like you'd be more immune to that kind of thing, you might be better set for that kind of experience, but just for me it would be a deal-breaker. Just my two cents.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 pm

curiouscat wrote:

I agree.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 pm

soj wrote:
curiouscat wrote:

I agree.

+1. I suppose for you the #1 criterion is that you go somewhere with your partner. That would probably obviate a lot of the problems I would have with a conservative, hostile/indifferent community in a rural area: you'll have a support system, you (hopefully) won't have to worry about dating, you'll know at least one other queer person whom you like and can empathize with.

Still, you should visit. I have a very dear friend who was straight but black and female when she went tp W&L. She and her few black friends felt marginalized, unappreciated and stifled. This is totally anecdotal and FWIW she went there as an undergraduate, but she didn't have the added issue of having to fit in and thrive as an LGBT person. I met two queer people who went there for law school who described alienation and the occasional slur.

I tend not to believe the OUTLaw people at individual schools. Each one can't imagine a better environment. It's worth investigating on your own.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:30 pm

addy11 wrote:
soj wrote:
curiouscat wrote:

I agree.

+1. I suppose for you the #1 criterion is that you go somewhere with your partner. That would probably obviate a lot of the problems I would have with a conservative, hostile/indifferent community in a rural area: you'll have a support system, you (hopefully) won't have to worry about dating, you'll know at least one other queer person whom you like and can empathize with.

Still, you should visit. I have a very dear friend who was straight but black and female when she went tp W&L. She and her few black friends felt marginalized, unappreciated and stifled. This is totally anecdotal and FWIW she went there as an undergraduate, but she didn't have the added issue of having to fit in and thrive as an LGBT person. I met two queer people who went there for law school who described alienation and the occasional slur.

I tend not to believe the OUTLaw people at individual schools. Each one can't imagine a better environment. It's worth investigating on your own.

thanks everyone for your input but as of now there are no other options to consider..i was just waitlisted at uva today (was expecting a rejection)..so that means I only have 2 other schools to hear from that could possibly deter me from w&l and thats georgetown and w&m...but yes you are right, i kind of do have a thick skin, im not apart of the lgbt group on campus mainly because i think the group is only there so people can know other lgbt people and date them, but anyway, i don't socialize (meaning i don't drink or party and that sort of stuff, I blame my old soul for that) and i believe that could be where the majority of the "not fitting in" attitude may arise from. As long as no one calls me the n word or a dyke im fine..lol...also the school is 2 hours from home so to be able to hop in the car and be home in 2 hours if i do have an emotional break down is a huge thing to me. (not saying that emotional break downs are common for me..lol) ...but seriously i got this same argument when i applied to JMU as a person of color..people would tell me that i wouldnt fit in and so on, but to be honest i don't even realize it

Also what i really liked about w&l's application was that it was the only school i applied to that asked for the applicant's sexual orientation

EDIT: dinged at georgetown right after this post, so only w&m can change my mind

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm not from the South and didn't really think I'd seriously be considering a school south of DC - but Duke is now near the top of my list.

I've been doing some research and from a few years ago til now, it seems the area around Duke has gone from a merely tolerant place to being on multiple lists for one of the most accepting LGBT campuses. It has law curriculum that deals with LGBT issues. And Durham, NC is apparently known by some as a lesbian mecca in the South. Chapel Hill, home to UNC, is only 20 minutes away and is supposed to be pretty liberal. The state capital Raleigh, is 35 minutes away and is home to a lot of gay men.

Can anyone who is near/from NC, attest to the acceptance in the area? I know OutLaw orgs and brochures try to oversell acceptance on campus.

caputlupinum

Postby caputlupinum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 pm

cylon_clone wrote:I'm not from the South and didn't really think I'd seriously be considering a school south of DC - but Duke is now near the top of my list.

I've been doing some research and from a few years ago til now, it seems the area around Duke has gone from a merely tolerant place to being on multiple lists for one of the most accepting LGBT campuses. It has law curriculum that deals with LGBT issues. And Durham, NC is apparently known by some as a lesbian mecca in the South. Chapel Hill, home to UNC, is only 20 minutes away and is supposed to be pretty liberal. The state capital Raleigh, is 35 minutes away and is home to a lot of gay men.

Can anyone who is near/from NC, attest to the acceptance in the area? I know OutLaw orgs and brochures try to oversell acceptance on campus.

The Triangle (Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham) is pretty moderate. Being a gay extreme liberal who lives here I would say it pretty darn blue for a southern city. Wayyyyy more LGBT friendly than say Charlotte(which IMO is like NYC for rednecks). Don't get up to Durham but Ive met a couple of hot guys who go to duke and some who work in research triangle park. Lots of gay and gay friendly bars/lounges/martini bars in downtown Raleigh. I mean its not WeHo or Chelsea but I have seen couples walking around downtown holding hands.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 pm

i am not part of this diversity group, but was wondering: are there any transgendered law students? i know there's one at cornell, but i haven't heard of one attending any law school.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 pm

soj wrote:
curiouscat wrote:

I agree.

Okay, but seriously, Michigan Outlaws are the BEST. :mrgreen:

I'm one of the co-chairs of the University of Michigan Outlaws and a 1L, so if any of you guys have questions about queer life at Michigan, law school, or the application process, feel free to shoot a PM my way!

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 pm

I find all of this discussion about W&L interesting. I hadn't heard that it wasn't gay-friendly (or that it was super conservative, either), and I'd been seriously considering it because I love VA and I got scholarship money. Lexington presents job problems for my partner, who will be coming with me wherever I end up, so it wasn't at the top of the list, but still... interesting.

My other options (as of right now) are University of Richmond (with the possibility of big money), Georgia State, and I'm still waiting to hear from Emory (though my numbers seem to be in line with those they accepted last year).

Does anybody know about the environment for LGBT people at any of those schools?

TheNav

Postby TheNav » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello folks, I registered for the sole purpose of defending my undergrad alma mater, W&L. Things have improved significantly at W&L in the last five years. It's still a very conservative place to which conservative students are attracted. Lexington is not New York, by any stretch. If you're looking for a place with a lot of social activism, W&L's probably not your cup of tea. But administration has been fantastic for us, and the student body has undergone a definite shift in the last five years. Obviously, I can't speak for specific conditions in the law school, but I can state that I feel perfectly comfortable being out on the undergrad side. It's not just "keep your head down and everything will be fine." I brought my boyfriend to young alumni weekend this fall, absolutely zero problems, and that was at a Greek house. Obviously, my experience is undergrad-specific, and it may also be affected by the fact that I'm a white male, but I can't imagine that things would be negative on the law side. W&L Law is by far my first choice (if they let me in, cross your fingers for a late applicant!)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”