2011-2012 LGBT thread! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anjmissy

Bronze

Re: 2011-2012 LGBT thread!

Post by anjmissy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 pm

TheNav wrote:Hello folks, I registered for the sole purpose of defending my undergrad alma mater, W&L. Things have improved significantly at W&L in the last five years. It's still a very conservative place to which conservative students are attracted. Lexington is not New York, by any stretch. If you're looking for a place with a lot of social activism, W&L's probably not your cup of tea. But administration has been fantastic for us, and the student body has undergone a definite shift in the last five years. Obviously, I can't speak for specific conditions in the law school, but I can state that I feel perfectly comfortable being out on the undergrad side. It's not just "keep your head down and everything will be fine." I brought my boyfriend to young alumni weekend this fall, absolutely zero problems, and that was at a Greek house. Obviously, my experience is undergrad-specific, and it may also be affected by the fact that I'm a white male, but I can't imagine that things would be negative on the law side. W&L Law is by far my first choice (if they let me in, cross your fingers for a late applicant!)
good luck..i'll be there in the fall =)

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:37 am

melt wrote:
clarion wrote: Sorry, don't know if it's too late to give my two cents, but though I think you're correct to not include it in your personal statement, it might make an interesting topic for a diversity statement? I mean, if the event changed you in ANY way, even if not directly correlated to your desire to practice law or become involved in your community, it might help (or at least not hurt). Granted, you don't want to tell a sob story and then just leave at that: As if, you hope sympathy will get you admitted. But if that has shaped you into being a stronger person (as I imagine it must have?) then I don't see anything wrong with including it in a diversity statement.

Edit: And also, unfortunately, Asian most definitely is not a URM lol :P
I am really grateful to you guys!!! Same idea as yours, a diversity statement may be a better choice. Your suggestions do help, never doubt that <3
I might be a bit late on this, but I don't think you should be discouraged from mentioning your experience overcoming/dealing with homophobia. Admissions committees are looking for people who will be good lawyers, judges, scholars, etc. You don't have to go into advocacy for your experiences as a gay man/lesbian/transgender person to enhance your ability to contribute to the profession.

You can bet that nearly every application is going to say something about a passion for justice, a love of rhetoric, and an eye for detail. Be different, but be wise about it, too.

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

raskolnikov wrote:
melt wrote:
clarion wrote: Sorry, don't know if it's too late to give my two cents, but though I think you're correct to not include it in your personal statement, it might make an interesting topic for a diversity statement? I mean, if the event changed you in ANY way, even if not directly correlated to your desire to practice law or become involved in your community, it might help (or at least not hurt). Granted, you don't want to tell a sob story and then just leave at that: As if, you hope sympathy will get you admitted. But if that has shaped you into being a stronger person (as I imagine it must have?) then I don't see anything wrong with including it in a diversity statement.

I am really grateful to you guys!!! Same idea as yours, a diversity statement may be a better choice. Your suggestions do help, never doubt that <3
I might be a bit late on this, but I don't think you should be discouraged from mentioning your experience overcoming/dealing with homophobia. Admissions committees are looking for people who will be good lawyers, judges, scholars, etc. You don't have to go into advocacy for your experiences as a gay man/lesbian/transgender person to enhance your ability to contribute to the profession.

You can bet that nearly every application is going to say something about a passion for justice, a love of rhetoric, and an eye for detail. Be different, but be wise about it, too.
Yea, I really think I got a little boost from mentioning it in my PS. (I wouldn't write a PS just on being gay) For schools that had an LGBT initiative etc. I wrote a DS on growing up in the deep south being gay and how I always tried to show people from all walks of life that gay guys are just like other people and other such topics.. For those schools I really out played my numbers so IMO I really did see a sizable boost.

travman90

New

Post by travman90 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

caputlupinum wrote:
raskolnikov wrote:
melt wrote:

Yea, I really think I got a little boost from mentioning it in my PS. (I wouldn't write a PS just on being gay) For schools that had an LGBT initiative etc. I wrote a DS on growing up in the deep south being gay and how I always tried to show people from all walks of life that gay guys are just like other people and other such topics.. For those schools I really out played my numbers so IMO I really did see a sizable boost.
I wrote my whole PS about being gay and how it inspired me to become active to improve life for myself and those like me, so far working out. I've only had one ourtight rejection, one waitlist and five acceptances from the seven schools I've heard from. So if I had to guess it hasn't really hurt that much.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey guys so I know there was a little discussion on the first page about GULC being at least gay-friendly regarding their acceptances. But my question is if anyone knows about the student body or DC in general. I imagine the law school almost functions outside the realm of Jesuit-ness (that is to say, most of the people going to GULC for ls didn't choose it because of its religious affiliation), but I'm still curious. Additionally, I'd imagine that DC would be pretty gay-friendly, but as the only places I've lived are south Florida (lol) and Tallahassee which truly is more of a college town than a political center of any sort, I honestly don't know. So yeah, any opinions would be appreciated.

By the way, GULC is becoming my top choice little by little as the four other schools I'm waiting on seem to be in no hurry to accept WL or reject me :P

travman90

New

Post by travman90 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 pm

clarion wrote:Hey guys so I know there was a little discussion on the first page about GULC being at least gay-friendly regarding their acceptances. But my question is if anyone knows about the student body or DC in general. I imagine the law school almost functions outside the realm of Jesuit-ness (that is to say, most of the people going to GULC for ls didn't choose it because of its religious affiliation), but I'm still curious. Additionally, I'd imagine that DC would be pretty gay-friendly, but as the only places I've lived are south Florida (lol) and Tallahassee which truly is more of a college town than a political center of any sort, I honestly don't know. So yeah, any opinions would be appreciated.

By the way, GULC is becoming my top choice little by little as the four other schools I'm waiting on seem to be in no hurry to accept WL or reject me :P
I currently live in DC (from California, before that CT before that...well long story). DC itself is fairly gay friendly, Dupont extremely so (its DC 'gay district'). There are certainly plenty of gay bars/clubs and people are fairly liberal/tolernt (I mean same sex marriage is okay here). As for GULC, I got in there and like I said my whole PS was about being gay and the obsticles I faced because of it and how it inspired me to pursue a law career, so I wouldn't even say that they're anti-gay or anything. I went there the other day and was completely accepted, so I don't know where you're getting your info from.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm

travman90 wrote:
clarion wrote:Hey guys so I know there was a little discussion on the first page about GULC being at least gay-friendly regarding their acceptances. But my question is if anyone knows about the student body or DC in general. I imagine the law school almost functions outside the realm of Jesuit-ness (that is to say, most of the people going to GULC for ls didn't choose it because of its religious affiliation), but I'm still curious. Additionally, I'd imagine that DC would be pretty gay-friendly, but as the only places I've lived are south Florida (lol) and Tallahassee which truly is more of a college town than a political center of any sort, I honestly don't know. So yeah, any opinions would be appreciated.

I currently live in DC (from California, before that CT before that...well long story). DC itself is fairly gay friendly, Dupont extremely so (its DC 'gay district'). There are certainly plenty of gay bars/clubs and people are fairly liberal/tolernt (I mean same sex marriage is okay here). As for GULC, I got in there and like I said my whole PS was about being gay and the obsticles I faced because of it and how it inspired me to pursue a law career, so I wouldn't even say that they're anti-gay or anything. I went there the other day and was completely accepted, so I don't know where you're getting your info from.
Oh no. I'm not exactly sure what in my OP suggested otherwise, but I actually imagined that GULC is, in fact, pretty accepting. I just wanted to know if anyone had any firsthand accounts of this. So thanks for that! Like I said, people on the first page mentioned their orientation/struggles and the like in their DS/PS and still got in, so I didn't think they were discriminating. I just wanted to know about experiences extending beyond acceptance INTO the law school, and dealing more in regards to acceptance AT the law school. That's all :)

travman90

New

Post by travman90 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 pm

clarion wrote:
travman90 wrote:

Oh no. I'm not exactly sure what in my OP suggested otherwise, but I actually imagined that GULC is, in fact, pretty accepting. I just wanted to know if anyone had any firsthand accounts of this. So thanks for that! Like I said, people on the first page mentioned their orientation/struggles and the like in their DS/PS and still got in, so I didn't think they were discriminating. I just wanted to know about experiences extending beyond acceptance INTO the law school, and dealing more in regards to acceptance AT the law school. That's all :)
I mean I'm not 'in' the law school (I got in, but I'm not going there currently), but I have friends there, so its certainly not a problem.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Not a 2011-2012 LGBT (I'm 2012-2013), but just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with law schools you're waiting to hear back from, and best of luck to everyone at the school you end up at!

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Just stumbled onto this thread, should have been on the lookout for it a while ago! Lesbian NY-er here, leaning heavily towards NYU. Just wanted to say hey.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone as well, especially those planning to attend schools not known for being the friendliest places for LGBT students. After all, changes in attitudes have to start somewhere!

ZXT427

New

Post by ZXT427 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Last edited by ZXT427 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

sandlot

New

Post by sandlot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 am

ZXT427 wrote:Anyone have any insight into how gay-friendly University of Houston is?
In terms of the city, you'd be fine. It's just a very short drive to Montrose, the gay district. While Houston certainly has its fair share of zealots, it is the first top 10 city to elect an LGBT mayor.

Also, I went to the ASD and saw plenty of accepted gays. Unless there are some horror stories out there about particular faculty members, I'd find it hard to believe gays would have a problem there.

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 am

just found this thread, queer & heading to Temple next year with my girlfriend. anyone have advice on relationships during law school or even specifics about Philly LGBT life would be great

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm

loblaw016 wrote:just found this thread, queer & heading to Temple next year with my girlfriend. anyone have advice on relationships during law school or even specifics about Philly LGBT life would be great
Well, not on Philly specifically, but my partner (now fiancee because NY legalized us a year ago, woot!) is a 2L right now and I'm about to be a 1L. I guess first set of advice: don't go to the same school. It helped that I had no interest in her hell-hole of a law school, but seriously, you both need your separate experiences with the amount of stress that comes with law school. Second, the biggest piece of advice I can give is this: be 100% honest about what law school requires of you. My partner was lucky in that almost all of my friends had been there, and I work in the legal field currently, so I knew what it was all about. She watched relationships fall apart all around her because no one really understood that law school pretty much just takes you out of commission. I took this sort of "time out" from our relationship to see friends, run road races, and concentrate on work while she kind of dropped off the planet. Not saying it was easy, but if both people know what's about to happen, it makes it far more navigable.

Congrats on Temple. I got in there, but opted for NYC (where we're from) instead. I've actually never been to Philly. :)

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:04 am

sd5289 wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:just found this thread, queer & heading to Temple next year with my girlfriend. anyone have advice on relationships during law school or even specifics about Philly LGBT life would be great
Well, not on Philly specifically, but my partner (now fiancee because NY legalized us a year ago, woot!) is a 2L right now and I'm about to be a 1L. I guess first set of advice: don't go to the same school. It helped that I had no interest in her hell-hole of a law school, but seriously, you both need your separate experiences with the amount of stress that comes with law school. Second, the biggest piece of advice I can give is this: be 100% honest about what law school requires of you. My partner was lucky in that almost all of my friends had been there, and I work in the legal field currently, so I knew what it was all about. She watched relationships fall apart all around her because no one really understood that law school pretty much just takes you out of commission. I took this sort of "time out" from our relationship to see friends, run road races, and concentrate on work while she kind of dropped off the planet. Not saying it was easy, but if both people know what's about to happen, it makes it far more navigable.

Congrats on Temple. I got in there, but opted for NYC (where we're from) instead. I've actually never been to Philly. :)
haha thanks! that's helpful even though it's not Philly specific. my girlfriend is doing her MFA in NY so she'll commute once a week next year and hopefully have lots of projects/work so i won't feel guilty about the amount of time i expect law school to consume :)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm

loblaw016 wrote:my girlfriend is doing her MFA in NY so she'll commute once a week next year and hopefully have lots of projects/work so i won't feel guilty about the amount of time i expect law school to consume :)
Piece of advice for you then: greet her arrival with delicious take-out. It's grueling to be the commuter of the two. Just saying, I certainly appreciated my Chinese take-out, pizza, etc., after I hopped off the bus in Boston (the NYC -> BOS commute SUCKS). ;)

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

sd5289 wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:my girlfriend is doing her MFA in NY so she'll commute once a week next year and hopefully have lots of projects/work so i won't feel guilty about the amount of time i expect law school to consume :)
Piece of advice for you then: greet her arrival with delicious take-out. It's grueling to be the commuter of the two. Just saying, I certainly appreciated my Chinese take-out, pizza, etc., after I hopped off the bus in Boston (the NYC -> BOS commute SUCKS). ;)
haha, i'll definitely keep that in mind

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”