Michigan?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cidergirl

Michigan?

Postby cidergirl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 pm

AA female 165/3.7 Michigan is my dream school, do I have a chance? I am working to write a really strong "Why Michigan" essay, any other advice to boost my chances?

Also, is it worth paying application fees for my super reach dream schools: Columbia, NYU, Harvard? Any idea on my chances here?

Justdoingmybest

Re: Michigan?

Postby Justdoingmybest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes u have a great shot at Michigan.....and a good shot at most of T6. With a good/great DS and PS you should be in. Good Luck!

Look at law school numbers to see others in your situation in past cycles. I read somewhere that an AA female with a 3.7 and a 162 got into Columbia last year.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! I didn't write a diversity statement for the apps I already sent in because I was scrambling to get them in before Thanksgiving and couldn't get the statement to say what I wanted to say. I kept rewriting and rewriting and finally decided it would be better to send the aps in early than to write the perfect statement. Is this a mistake?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm

cidergirl wrote:Thanks for the inspiration! I didn't write a diversity statement for the apps I already sent in because I was scrambling to get them in before Thanksgiving and couldn't get the statement to say what I wanted to say. I kept rewriting and rewriting and finally decided it would be better to send the aps in early than to write the perfect statement. Is this a mistake?

Not at mistake, but be sure to send out a DS for all the rest of your apps.

Also, make sure to blanket the entire T14. The more scholarship offers to use as leverage, the better, and you will realize that the application fees were a drop in the bucket.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 pm

People definitely get into great schools without a DS.

why did you hurry to submit before Thanksgiving? I know you wanted your apps in early but I don't think one more week or so would have significantly affected your chances.

If you can come up with a DS before you submit the other apps, I would recommend you take the time to develop it. A good DS can only help your app.

Also with your stats u might have hidden fee waivers from NYU and Michigan.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48 pm

how do i get a hidden fee waiver?!?!

i was told it was important to get the apps in early, so i;'ve been scrambling to get them done as fast as possible! i didnt get fee waivers from most of the schools i wanna go to, maybe because i didnt put urm on my lsac account? my ds has to do with how race is so much more than a skin color. i'm 50% black, have blue eyes and look nothing like the rest of my siblings.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 pm

cidergirl wrote:how do i get a hidden fee waiver?!?!

i was told it was important to get the apps in early, so i;'ve been scrambling to get them done as fast as possible! i didnt get fee waivers from most of the schools i wanna go to, maybe because i didnt put urm on my lsac account? my ds has to do with how race is so much more than a skin color. i'm 50% black, have blue eyes and look nothing like the rest of my siblings.

yeah, that's why no fee waivers, but as I said, don't worry about the fee waivers...(you can send some requests to schools for fee waivers though, search tls for more info on that). without fee waivers, I know it can be a lot of money up front for apps, but it will be well worth it.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:47 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
cidergirl wrote:how do i get a hidden fee waiver?!?!

yeah, that's why no fee waivers, but as I said, don't worry about the fee waivers...(you can send some requests to schools for fee waivers though, search tls for more info on that). without fee waivers, I know it can be a lot of money up front for apps, but it will be well worth it.

Yeah if you don't end up getting waivers...just apply without them...let me just say this

YOU HAVE HARVARD NUMBERS. Doesn't mean you will get in. But with a good and wholesome app, you have a great chance.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:52 pm

don't make essentially duplicate threads

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

Yeah if you don't end up getting waivers...just apply without them...let me just say this

YOU HAVE HARVARD NUMBERS. Doesn't mean you will get in. But with a good and wholesome app, you have a great chance.

Thank you for this. I am doing my best to revise my ps and ds to get the best shot possible! How long do you think I can spend reworking my apps before it starts to be too late to turn them in? I'm aiming for a Dec. 15 deadline--is that still early enough?

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:37 pm

The earlier the better, but if you are working on a DS I think Dec 15 should be adequate time to complete your applications. It really depends on how much time you have to dedicate to your applications per day.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Dec. 15th should be good. Apps are all you should be thinking about in your spare time between now and Dec 15th. Get them perfected and out by that date.

I had to hold my apps for a Dec. LSAT retake and was okay, but I wouldn't advise anyone waiting until after Christmas...that's late. (I feel like there would be a flood of apps in early Jan from folks using the Christmas break to get apps done.)

Champion

Postby Champion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:Dec. 15th should be good. Apps are all you should be thinking about in your spare time between now and Dec 15th. Get them perfected and out by that date.

I had to hold my apps for a Dec. LSAT retake and was okay, but I wouldn't advise anyone waiting until after Christmas...that's late. (I feel like there would be a flood of apps in early Jan from folks using the Christmas break to get apps done.)

Yea, I would agree. Do your best to have them out before the holiday break. Also, make sure your diversity statement is strong, so you can fully use that to your advantage. Speaking with a few adcomms from across the country and it seems to be the general consensus that before Thanksgiving is early, and that even before the break your still in good shape. Most people use the Christmas break to get their apps in + the December LSAT takers who have already submitted and go complete once they get their LSAT scores, or who will submit as soon as their scores are back. The longer you wait is the more schools that would have accepted will waitlist you, and the schools that would have waitlisted you will reject you. However, with your numbers, I don't see you running into too many problems. Best of luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”