AA Male - Where else should I apply?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 pm

The title says it all.

My profile's here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MaroonURM

I plan to practice in the Southeast. Do I need to send apps anywhere else?

Thanks

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:24 pm

no

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:no


This. You have a solid list of schools.

But why did you ED to NW?

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:32 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:no


This. You have a solid list of schools.

But why did you ED to NW?


I enjoyed my visit and love their unique approach. That, plus a full tuition scholarship if accepted. :lol:

Bad move?
Last edited by JustE on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:no


Thanks, Jamz. How are things going on your end?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm

egirarde wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:no


Thanks, Jamz. How are things going on your end?

PR'd at Duke. Nothing from anywhere else. Chicago should be around Dec 20

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 pm

egirarde wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:no


This. You have a solid list of schools.

But why did you ED to NW?


I enjoyed my visit and love their unique approach. That, plus a full tuition scholarship if accepted. :lol:

Bad move?


URM cycles, especially AA male cycles, are extremely hard to predict. EDing anywhere will probably foreclose opportunities that would have been otherwise available to you. With your URM status and LSAT/GPA, you could squeeze into the T6, even with some money. I would bet that you would have been in at NW with RD...but if you're sure you love NW and you really, really want to be there, enjoy it :)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
egirarde wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:no


This. You have a solid list of schools.

But why did you ED to NW?


I enjoyed my visit and love their unique approach. That, plus a full tuition scholarship if accepted. :lol:

Bad move?


URM cycles, especially AA male cycles, are extremely hard to predict. EDing anywhere will probably foreclose opportunities that would have been otherwise available to you. With your URM status and LSAT/GPA, you could squeeze into the T6, even with some money. I would bet that you would have been in at NW with RD...but if you're sure you love NW and you really, really want to be there, enjoy it :)

Besides, it's either NU with 120K, or a decent shot at a T10 with money. If you really like NU, you're set either way

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 pm

EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)

P.S. To the above poster, I think that the Northwestern scholarship is worth closer to $150,000 than to $120,000.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)

P.S. To the above poster, I think that the Northwestern scholarship is worth closer to $150,000 than to $120,000.

that's right. It is 150. I forgot their tuition was so damn high

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)


I agree...just saying that he had the opportunity to consider other options. Many applicants have the choice of full rides at a T14 v. T6 with $, and decide on the latter. Of course, the former is just as understandable.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)


I agree...just saying that he had the opportunity to consider other options. Many applicants have the choice of full rides at a T14 v. T6 with $, and decide on the latter. Of course, the former is just as understandable.


Yeah, tuition is high... But even with tuition covered, I'm still looking at $60k+ in loans. :roll:

It was a tough choice, but I think the only T6 schools I have a shot at are CCN and I'm not in love with the idea of living in New York and I'd actually rather go to NU if I'm in Chicago. I have a biz background, have my mind set on corporate law, and think NU has the best program for prepping students for careers in corporate law (I realize that's debatable).

I'm not so sure it'll be that easy for me to get in ED to NU now that they are offering cash. If not, maybe I have a shot at cash from Michigan or Cornell?

Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by JustE on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 pm

egirarde wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)


I agree...just saying that he had the opportunity to consider other options. Many applicants have the choice of full rides at a T14 v. T6 with $, and decide on the latter. Of course, the former is just as understandable.


Yeah, tuition is high... But even with tuition covered, I'm still looking at $60k+ in loans. :roll:

It was a tough choice, but I think the only T6 schools I have a shot at are CCN and I'm not in love with the idea of living in New York and I'd actually rather go to NU if I'm in Chicago. I have a biz background, have my mind set on corporate law, and think NU has the best program for prepping students for careers in corporate law (I realize that's debatable).

I'm not so sure it'll be that easy for me to get in ED to NU now that they are offering cash. If not, maybe I have a shot at cash from Michigan or Cornell?

I don't know dude. In the NU app thread, someone said only one non-splitter had applied ED

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: AA Male - Where else should I apply?

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
egirarde wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:EDing to a Top 12 law school in a great city with a guaranteed full tuition scholarship if accepted is reasonable. (OP is an AA male with a 166/3.21.)


I agree...just saying that he had the opportunity to consider other options. Many applicants have the choice of full rides at a T14 v. T6 with $, and decide on the latter. Of course, the former is just as understandable.


Yeah, tuition is high... But even with tuition covered, I'm still looking at $60k+ in loans. :roll:

It was a tough choice, but I think the only T6 schools I have a shot at are CCN and I'm not in love with the idea of living in New York and I'd actually rather go to NU if I'm in Chicago. I have a biz background, have my mind set on corporate law, and think NU has the best program for prepping students for careers in corporate law (I realize that's debatable).

I'm not so sure it'll be that easy for me to get in ED to NU now that they are offering cash. If not, maybe I have a shot at cash from Michigan or Cornell?

I don't know dude. In the NU app thread, someone said only one non-splitter had applied ED


Yeah, I saw that, but for some reason LSN isn't listing everyone who's applied (myself included). If they do end up with the same ED applicant pool, I might have a shot. Just can't believe more people aren't jumping at it.

A part of me would be thrilled with the offer and another part of me would love to visit schools, negotiate scholarships, and get a feel for a few other campuses.

ETA: Looks like LSN was sending my email confirmation to my spam box. After looking at the NU ED apps, it does look like I have a shot. Fingers crossed!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairchildFLT and 4 guests