Any hope for Harvard? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DefyingGravity

New

Any hope for Harvard?

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:02 pm

I
Last edited by DefyingGravity on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Any hope for Harvard?

Post by 20121109 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Cuban isn't really considered a URM, though you may get a small bump. Still I understand why you posted in this forum...With your stats, probably not enough for Harvard...but send in an app...you never know what could happen.

If your dream market is NY, definitely shoot for either Columbia or NYU, but don't expect too much merit aid. Your cycle would probably be hard to predict but I imagine a lower T7-14 throwing a lot of money your way.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:21 pm

I
Last edited by DefyingGravity on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Is January 1 too late to get my applications in? Is there an advantage to getting the applications in early December?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:26 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:Is January 1 too late to get my applications in? Is there an advantage to getting the applications in early December?
That's pretty late.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Last year a friend of mine applied in March and got into Vanderbilt...everyone told her the same thing, so now I'm confused about how much applying early actually matters.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:Last year a friend of mine applied in March and got into Vanderbilt...everyone told her the same thing, so now I'm confused about how much applying early actually matters.
well, if her numbers were amazing, that could overcome the lateness. Besides, how does this single example show much?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:35 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:Last year a friend of mine applied in March and got into Vanderbilt...everyone told her the same thing, so now I'm confused about how much applying early actually matters.
Plenty of adcomms and people on TLS (think of these are many examples of your 1 friend example) have commented on the benefits of applying early. Jan.1 is kinda late. As admissions are rolling, they just have fewer spots for later applicants so that they probably end up just focusing more on ones they would have taken anyways in the beginning. In other words, if you send in a late application and get in, means you would have gotten in if you sent it in early too. The same cannot necessarily be said for the reverse.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:If I don't get a minority bump, I should probs rule NYC and Columbia out:( Are there any statistics on how minorities that are not considered URMs fare?
Minorities that are not considered URMs for law school in general? Probably the same as a white applicant (ex: Asians). Gaia mentioned Cubans maybe getting a small bump even though they aren't considered URMs...no idea, but that could be the case.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Hm, what's the last date to send in my applications without them being considered late/putting me at a disadvantage?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:37 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:Hm, what's the last date to send in my applications without them being considered late/putting me at a disadvantage?
I had always heard, for HLS at least, before thanksgiving = early. After/at Christmas holidays sounds like it'd be getting into late territory. Offices also tend to close (so does the mail) around the holidays...so make sure to factor those things in as well.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:If I don't get a minority bump, I should probs rule NYC and Columbia out:( Are there any statistics on how minorities that are not considered URMs fare?
This isn't necessarily true. Data for URMs is scarce, but data for non-URM minorities is scarcer, still.

CCN are probably reaches, but do not rule anything out. As I said, still apply to HYS...your chances are not great, but even if you only had a tiny chance, the application fee is worth it.

And yes, applying in early January is late and it would adversely affect your chances of admission. If you can avoid it, do so.

Good luck :)

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it:) ! Hopefully Dec. 15 won't be too late...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”