Chances for a native american

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

Chances for a native american

Postby think5375 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm

currently a native american student at an ivy that sends many grads to top law schools. Thought I may get a better response about my chances if posted in here.

3.68 GPA (4.0 in major), 168 (predicted) LSAT, History of Art major--- should graduate with honors.

Unique extracurricular activities. Leadership position, mentoring position, etc.. I am also a painter/sculptor. Don't know if it is ever possible/advised to send images from portfolio

Originally from Southwest (very underrepresented and very native american state)

will write diversity statement

first generation college student (dont know if this still matters)

want to apply right out of undergrad-- will this help or hurt?

pretty good work experience-- interned at a law firm and a world famous museum doing curatorial work

What are my chances for HYS? T14? T25? Very interested in NYU.

Re: Chances for a native american

Postby bitterpessimist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:47 pm

It will depend on your actual LSAT score.

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Aim for the 170+ that you are currently practice testing at. The interesting soft slightly increases your chance at Y and S, slightly. 168 for NA URM = one or more of the T6 (including HYS, but as usual, better shot at H than YS). From what I remember Columbia esp. wanted to up NA enrollment, but you can keep asking around the URM board.

170+ and you'll have the T14 and $$$ as guaranteed as you could ask for. You'll be deciding between full rides and HYS.

165+ I would shoot apps at T14+Texas+UCLA+Vandy, nothing lower.

160+ Top 25

Don't worry too much about straight from UG. If anything happens during your app cycle next year, then you will have a chance to take a year off and try again.

And of course, the common URM advice... write a DS, include background information.

Postby think5375 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Awesome news. Thanks!

Postby crazyblink653 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 pm

NA is an EXTREMELY underrepresented minority in the law school setting. i've heard of NA applicants with barely 150 LSATs getting into MVP. i'd say if you get anywhere north of 160 you stand a very good shot at T6. 166+ and you should have a shot at one of HYS (probably H).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”