Biracial (URM, Non-Urm) Bump?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Hjones33

Biracial (URM, Non-Urm) Bump?

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 am

I have read a couple posts about people giving different opinions on this. Maybe it just means there really isn't an answer out there (Also sorry if people have already answered this).

I am half Native American and half Caucasian. I have tribal affiliation. Would someone like me get the same bump as someone who only checks off NA? Or is it greatly reduced? I am going to check off both so I am not here to ask if I should just check off NA, I am just really curious.

Thanks!

johansantana21

Re: Biracial (URM, Non-Urm) Bump?

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 am

If you are registered with a tribe you should get NA URM boost...

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 am

You are an official member of your tribe?

Sounds like you at least self-identify (somewhat) as NA; and the federal government says you are NA. Seems reasonable to me that you are considered NA for law school purposes.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am

There are people with much more tenuous NA connections that get the boost. Definitely write a DS though.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 am

make sure you state tribal affiliation and write a ds. You should get the full boost

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:02 am

I'm also NA and Caucasian, and marked both boxes on my apps.

From all of the research I've done, there's no reason that identifying as both should affect me any differently than just marking NA. It's exceedingly rare to be 100% NA, and most NA applicants are not.

With that said, I made sure that my DS was focused around my experience as a NA. I incorporated the racism that I'm subject to even though I am part white, by discussing certain situations where until I revealed I was NA I was treated with respect. But, then after I revealed my heritage I literally had someone spit on me and do a slew of other things. I feel like being able to identify as both is what helps to shape me.

So, IMO, take advantage of whatever unique situation you are in and really showcase it in your DS. Once you've done that, whatever "bump" exists should be given to you.

Best of luck on your cycle!

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks, appreciate all of the responses.

Good luck on your cycle as well!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”