Question about how state-recognized tribes are viewed

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
theduffman

Question about how state-recognized tribes are viewed

Postby theduffman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 pm

So, I am a member of a native american tribe that is recognized by the state of Louisiana but not by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I wrote a diversity statement about my involvement with the tribe, but I'm wondering how law schools will look at that/ if it will give me any sort of tangible boost?

theduffman

Re: Question about how state-recognized tribes are viewed

Postby theduffman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Bump? Anyone have any clue?

northwestgirl

Postby northwestgirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Most likely, you will get a boost. Although, I personally believe that schools differ on what they think is a "real" Native candidate. For example, among equal Native candidates there may be a discussion on classifications of: reservation v. urban, state v. federal, enrolled v. descendant of. If you wrote a statement reflecting your heritage/cultural connection I believe that this works in your favor of being deemed sufficiently "Native" - as odd/unsettling as that may sounds to some. At the end of the day, you "checked the box" and if admitted, will be the ~1% of the racial make-up pie graph.

For more information on this topic and how the ABA is handeling it, I encourage you to read the link below or search for the ABA 2011 HOD Meeting on Resolution 102 (August 2011)

Good luck to you!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... YrVjOLtefg

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 pm

theduffman wrote:So, I am a member of a native american tribe that is recognized by the state of Louisiana but not by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I wrote a diversity statement about my involvement with the tribe, but I'm wondering how law schools will look at that/ if it will give me any sort of tangible boost?

Yes, whether or not Indian Affairs recognizes it is immaterial. The (admissions) boost will come if you recognize yourself as a Native American.

When it comes to scholarship and grant money, many times the tribe must be recognized by the federal government.

Unless of course you are a Rajin Cajun and then that isn't really an Indian Tribe but school nickname (I know dumb joke)

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
theduffman wrote:So, I am a member of a native american tribe that is recognized by the state of Louisiana but not by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I wrote a diversity statement about my involvement with the tribe, but I'm wondering how law schools will look at that/ if it will give me any sort of tangible boost?

Yes, whether or not Indian Affairs recognizes it is immaterial. The (admissions) boost will come if you recognize yourself as a Native American.

When it comes to scholarship and grant money, many times the tribe must be recognized by the federal government.

Unless of course you are a Rajin Cajun and then that isn't really an Indian Tribe but school nickname (I know dumb joke)

lol nice try at least. My grandfather was very choctaw and veryyy cajun (culturally, not creole by race/ethnicity whatever it is considered). He sounded a lot like the coach off the water boy

thanks for the replies both of you - good to know

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”