Does bisexuality really make a difference?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby llachans » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:42 pm

IAFG wrote:
llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:It's not more reliable than another actual statistic. Or are you saying that you personally are a think tank?

You've got to be kidding me. I just cited the Williams Institute as an example.

Wait... where is your citation? I saw an uncited statistic that you posted.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/r ... ansgender/

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby llachans » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:44 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
IAFG wrote:
llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:It's not more reliable than another actual statistic. Or are you saying that you personally are a think tank?

You've got to be kidding me. I just cited the Williams Institute as an example.

Wait... where is your citation? I saw an uncited statistic that you posted.


Isn't this sort of moot now given you guys aren't even talking about the same thing in the first place? lol...gin didn't even mention bisexuality on law school campuses

I would've dropped it awhile ago because I don't think anyone would be misguided enough to claim that bisexuality is common in the general population. I'm just rather annoyed that I was referred to as "dear" in a condescending way initially. It's easily one of my biggest pet peeves so I might as well stay around and be annoying for awhile, as infantile as that is.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:45 pm

llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:
llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:It's not more reliable than another actual statistic. Or are you saying that you personally are a think tank?

You've got to be kidding me. I just cited the Williams Institute as an example.

Wait... where is your citation? I saw an uncited statistic that you posted.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/r ... ansgender/

YOU DIDN'T CITE THAT ORIGINALLY OMG I HATE YOU MY COMMENT ISN'T GETTING DONE AND I AM ARGUING WITH YOU OVER POINTLESS CRAP WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY PULLED STATS OUT OF YOUR ASS AND THEN CITE THE SAME INSTITUTION I ALREADY DID AHHHHHH RAGE FACE

Image

Image

Image

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby llachans » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm

IAFG wrote:YOU DIDN'T CITE THAT ORIGINALLY OMG I HATE YOU MY COMMENT ISN'T GETTING DONE AND I AM ARGUING WITH YOU OVER POINTLESS CRAP WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY PULLED STATS OUT OF YOUR ASS AND THEN CITE THE SAME INSTITUTION I ALREADY DID AHHHHHH RAGE FACE

uhhh chill pill? When I said "cited", I meant that I mentioned the Williams Institute. It's easy enough to google, and well enough known to be respected, that I didn't think providing a citation was necessary.

On that note, I'm leaving this thread. Sorry for derailing in unintentionally.

OP - Although bisexuality could make a good DS or PS topic, it won't qualify as URM status as many other users have pointed out.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:49 pm

llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:YOU DIDN'T CITE THAT ORIGINALLY OMG I HATE YOU MY COMMENT ISN'T GETTING DONE AND I AM ARGUING WITH YOU OVER POINTLESS CRAP WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY PULLED STATS OUT OF YOUR ASS AND THEN CITE THE SAME INSTITUTION I ALREADY DID AHHHHHH RAGE FACE

uhhh chill pill? When I said "cited", I meant that I mentioned the Williams Institute. It's easy enough to google, and well enough known to be respected, that I didn't think providing a citation was necessary.

On that note, I'm leaving this thread. Sorry for derailing in unintentionally.

OP - Although bisexuality could make a good DS or PS topic, it won't qualify as URM status as many other users have pointed out.

but. you. didn't. not until i already had cited them.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

IAFG wrote:
llachans wrote:
IAFG wrote:YOU DIDN'T CITE THAT ORIGINALLY OMG I HATE YOU MY COMMENT ISN'T GETTING DONE AND I AM ARGUING WITH YOU OVER POINTLESS CRAP WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY PULLED STATS OUT OF YOUR ASS AND THEN CITE THE SAME INSTITUTION I ALREADY DID AHHHHHH RAGE FACE

uhhh chill pill? When I said "cited", I meant that I mentioned the Williams Institute. It's easy enough to google, and well enough known to be respected, that I didn't think providing a citation was necessary.

On that note, I'm leaving this thread. Sorry for derailing in unintentionally.

OP - Although bisexuality could make a good DS or PS topic, it won't qualify as URM status as many other users have pointed out.

but. you. didn't. not until i already had cited them.


But your inquisition into receiving the citations continued even after llachans mentioned the Williams Institute (indeed after you posted your first statistic report). His reference to having 'cited' the Williams Institute is to that post, not his very first one.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 pm

This thread sucks;


Image

Mauve Dinosaur
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby Mauve Dinosaur » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Stupid question: Can't anyone claim to be bi? If I'm a guy and claim to be bi, but hook up with girls all law school I can just say that I haven't met any cool guys or whatever if anyone says anything. Even if I'm not in fact the least bit attracted to men. Seems to me like a lot of unscrupulous people would do that if bisexuality were counted. I know there are real bisexuals out there, but this just seems too easy to abuse.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Stupid question: Can't anyone claim to be bi? If I'm a guy and claim to be bi, but hook up with girls all law school I can just say that I haven't met any cool guys or whatever if anyone says anything. Even if I'm not in fact the least bit attracted to men. Seems to me like a lot of unscrupulous people would do that if bisexuality were counted. I know there are real bisexuals out there, but this just seems too easy to abuse.



That's why on the Berkeley app, and a few others, they make you attach a photographic addendum with proof of bisexuality.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby lrslayer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 pm

whats a bisexual?

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Yes, you are twice as likely to find a date on a Saturday.

Criminally underrated response, right here.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby gin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Stupid question: Can't anyone claim to be bi? If I'm a guy and claim to be bi, but hook up with girls all law school I can just say that I haven't met any cool guys or whatever if anyone says anything. Even if I'm not in fact the least bit attracted to men. Seems to me like a lot of unscrupulous people would do that if bisexuality were counted. I know there are real bisexuals out there, but this just seems too easy to abuse.



That's why on the Berkeley app, and a few others, they make you attach a photographic addendum with proof of bisexuality.

haha.
But in all seriousness, it wouldn't make much of a difference if it does at all so it doesn't really matter

User avatar
snailio
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby snailio » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I think that's a study group at a lower T-14, they look familiar.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:09 pm

llachans wrote:Statistics. A conservative estimate is that 2% of women are lesbian or bisexual is a conservative amount while a more generous amount says 3-8%. Either way, that's not "common".


LOL. The vast majority of college-age women I know have had multiple same-sex encounters. It could be that only 2% of women are capable of falling in love with another women (and don't self-identify as bisexual for that reason), but many more than that are sexually attracted to women.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

vulpixie wrote:
llachans wrote:Statistics. A conservative estimate is that 2% of women are lesbian or bisexual is a conservative amount while a more generous amount says 3-8%. Either way, that's not "common".


LOL. The vast majority of college-age women I know have had multiple same-sex encounters. It could be that only 2% of women are capable of falling in love with another women (and don't self-identify as bisexual for that reason), but many more than that are sexually attracted to women.


Whoah, what awesome anecdotal evidence! It completely trumps large studies conducted by well-regarded institutions (even if they aren't perfect). But wait...I have known no college-age women who have had ANY same-sex encounters. Uh oh, what does this mean then? Guess we can just average our personal experiences and see what we get!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:18 pm

vulpixie wrote:herp derp

Oh okay. It all makes sense now.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:43 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
vulpixie wrote:
llachans wrote:Statistics. A conservative estimate is that 2% of women are lesbian or bisexual is a conservative amount while a more generous amount says 3-8%. Either way, that's not "common".


LOL. The vast majority of college-age women I know have had multiple same-sex encounters. It could be that only 2% of women are capable of falling in love with another women (and don't self-identify as bisexual for that reason), but many more than that are sexually attracted to women.


Whoah, what awesome anecdotal evidence! It completely trumps large studies conducted by well-regarded institutions (even if they aren't perfect). But wait...I have known no college-age women who have had ANY same-sex encounters. Uh oh, what does this mean then? Guess we can just average our personal experiences and see what we get!


This study was done 10 years ago, and indicates that 11+ percent of women have had same-sex encounters. The number has likely risen since then.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9358339/ns/ ... sGYdkMUqdA

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby vissidarte27 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, I just want to say that sex with women is awesome.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby lrslayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, I just want to say that sex with women is awesome.

^truth

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby llachans » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:48 pm

1) Anyone can claim to be any sexual orientation. It doesn't just work for bisexuality.
2) Not only do women who identify as straight experiment/have encounters with other women. So do men and the % of men who do so is much higher. From Kinsey:
"•37% of males and 13% of females had at least some overt homosexual experience to orgasm"

I'm sure there's more recent studies that show the same trend, but that was the first one to pop into my mind and Kinsey is highly regarded. (Although studies like this are pretty unreliable due to the info being self-reported and terms such as "homosexual experience" are vague.)

http://www.iub.edu/~kinsey/resources/bib-homoprev.html

Just thought I'd point out that it's not just women. (Not that anyone directly claimed that.)

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby vpintz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, I just want to say that sex with women is awesome.


+1

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby happyshapy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

gin wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Stupid question: Can't anyone claim to be bi? If I'm a guy and claim to be bi, but hook up with girls all law school I can just say that I haven't met any cool guys or whatever if anyone says anything. Even if I'm not in fact the least bit attracted to men. Seems to me like a lot of unscrupulous people would do that if bisexuality were counted. I know there are real bisexuals out there, but this just seems too easy to abuse.



That's why on the Berkeley app, and a few others, they make you attach a photographic addendum with proof of bisexuality.

haha.
But in all seriousness, it wouldn't make much of a difference if it does at all so it doesn't really matter


You might be able to write a really good diversity statement out of it. Maybe talk about the binary groupings of being gay or straight and how that makes you feel unconnected to either side. The fact that straight and gay people generally lump random hook ups some girls have when they're drunk with people who identify as bisexual is a testament to this. A lot of people don't believe you when you say you're bisexual. I think a really good diversity statement cold come out of this.

You're right, anyone can claim to be bisexual, but the only way this will help you is if you can show it in a moving diversity or personal statement. And admissions officers will be able to tell if you're bullshitting it from a mile away.
Last edited by happyshapy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:30 pm

vpintz wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, I just want to say that sex with women is awesome.


+1


+2

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:46 pm

happyshapy wrote:
gin wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Stupid question: Can't anyone claim to be bi? If I'm a guy and claim to be bi, but hook up with girls all law school I can just say that I haven't met any cool guys or whatever if anyone says anything. Even if I'm not in fact the least bit attracted to men. Seems to me like a lot of unscrupulous people would do that if bisexuality were counted. I know there are real bisexuals out there, but this just seems too easy to abuse.



That's why on the Berkeley app, and a few others, they make you attach a photographic addendum with proof of bisexuality.

haha.
But in all seriousness, it wouldn't make much of a difference if it does at all so it doesn't really matter


You might be able to write a really good diversity statement out of it. Maybe talk about the binary groupings of being gay or straight and how that makes you feel unconnected to either side. The fact that straight and gay people generally lump random hook ups some girls have when their drunk with people who identify as bisexual is a testament to this. A lot of people don't believe you when you say you're bisexual. I think a really good diversity statement cold come out of this.

You're right, anyone can claim to be bisexual, but the only way this will help you is if you can show it in a moving diversity or personal statement. And admissions officers will be able to tell if you're bullshitting it from a mile away.


I agree with this. I think I can just add something unique to your profile as an applicant if you can frame it in the right way. I wrote about being gay because it's important to me and impacted some of the work I've done/want to do, etc. It's not necessarily any kind of "boost," IMO. Just something interesting.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Does bisexuality really make a difference?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

vulpixie wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
vulpixie wrote:
llachans wrote:Statistics. A conservative estimate is that 2% of women are lesbian or bisexual is a conservative amount while a more generous amount says 3-8%. Either way, that's not "common".


LOL. The vast majority of college-age women I know have had multiple same-sex encounters. It could be that only 2% of women are capable of falling in love with another women (and don't self-identify as bisexual for that reason), but many more than that are sexually attracted to women.


Whoah, what awesome anecdotal evidence! It completely trumps large studies conducted by well-regarded institutions (even if they aren't perfect). But wait...I have known no college-age women who have had ANY same-sex encounters. Uh oh, what does this mean then? Guess we can just average our personal experiences and see what we get!


This study was done 10 years ago, and indicates that 11+ percent of women have had same-sex encounters. The number has likely risen since then.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9358339/ns/ ... sGYdkMUqdA


This is a better post.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests