Soo.. New URM? :)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Azmatt

Soo.. New URM? :)

Postby Azmatt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

So, I'm a big blonde guy. :) I was told that, if I'm 1/4 Hispanic then put it down, regardless of my appearance.

I've always generally clicked the caucasian box because I'd feel silly selecting hispanic with my appearance. I just sort of got used to that.

I've experienced a few things and I identify myself as a mutt. My family has a strong Hispanic influence on my mother's side. It's not as if I just jumped ship. But, without thinking and out of habit, I bubbled the Caucasian bubble on my first two lsats.

I got a decent score in OCT and am taking the December test to.. try and squeeze a few more points out. I feel a lesser degree of nerves will help me out a LOT.

Question is, now that I've actually looked into the URM process, should I bubble Caucasian/Hispanic on the test itself? LSAC has me down for Chicano/Mexican & Caucasian. OR should I do it as i did the other two tests for the sake of continuity. I don't want to look like I just switched it to try and get a last minute boost.

Which, I guess I did. I wasn't sure 1/4 even mattered when I first registered. I haven't thought much of it since and now, I see that it could help.

I've always identified myself as a Mix/mutt. I never identified myself as this or that. But, out of habit, I usually just selected caucasian.

Any help with how to approach this situation?

horrorbusiness

Re: Soo.. New URM? :)

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm

Azmatt wrote:... now that I've actually looked into the URM process...

...I don't want to look like I just switched it to try and get a last minute boost

Which, I guess I did.... and now, I see that it could help.

Real question is, how much deceit are you ok with?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm

If out of habit you usually choose caucasian, it means you most closely identify with that side of your heritage. So thats what I would check now.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Wouldn't there be C&F complications if they compare the box he checked for LS to the one he checked for undergrad?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Unless you can write an interesting PS or DS that would at least some what explain the discrepancy in how you once clicked the box it could lead to problems.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Deceit would be putting down Chicano if I wasn't Chicano. Not looking Hispanic doesn't indicate that I'm not. However, I grew into a habit of putting down Caucasian as I look Caucasian.

Curious though. How does it look on the answer sheet if it says Caucasian and then LSAC states Chicano & European?

It asked check all that apply and, yes I may more closely identify as Caucasian.

I have both listed on LSAC and only caucasian listed on the answer sheet. I was curious about the C&F aspect myself.

Meh, I was used to putting down the choice consistent with my appearance. I always identified as mixed in dialogue, oddly enough.

Regardless, I feel consistency is the better bet.

I'm not sure that is enough to raise a serious C&F inquiry or automatic dismissal. Hell, a family photo can indicate my lineage.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

I could write an interesting DS. I live in Arizona.

It's awkward with racist Fs who consider themselves safe discussing all the illegal immigrants/Mexican issues with me. They have no clue about my family or the perspective I share.

Moreover, I've been on the other end. I've had a few Chicano thugs come at me and physically attack me because they thought I was with the "minutemen" crowd..

I was considering that, but I wasn't sure if I should. Still debating.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 am

Azmatt wrote:I could write an interesting DS. I live in Arizona.

It's awkward with racist Fs who consider themselves safe discussing all the illegal immigrants/Mexican issues with me. They have no clue about my family or the perspective I share.

Moreover, I've been on the other end. I've had a few Chicano thugs come at me and physically attack me because they thought I was with the "minutemen" crowd..

I was considering that, but I wasn't sure if I should. Still debating.

I would. A lot of your racial identity comes from how people react to you. My friend is 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Mexican, but looks mostly Irish. He still identifies as Mexican, but much of how he's treated comes from the fact that he looks the way he does.

auntjulia

Postby auntjulia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:10 am

God damn, these URM topics manage to dredge up some of the most unpleasant, miserable posters on TLS.

OP, you are a URM and your explanation of the discrepancy sounds reasonable to me. I'd just double check with the LSAC and maybe a law school. Be sure to have them clarify whether any C&F concerns could arise from this, but I doubt it would be an issue.

You have a rightful claim to URM status and by all means, make sure you get the boost.

Good luck with your cycle.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks.. I emailed (anonymously) a few law schools to see what their admissions think. I'll just pull all the responses together and go from there.

Thanks for everyone's response. I was a tad nervous with the C&F comments. :)

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:30 pm

OP,
are you from Texas or somewhere in the Southwest region of the U.S. ?? I have grown up and worked with several who are blonde hair - blue eyed - porcelain skin and are completely Hispanic, in terms of culture and surname. The Hispanic people in my area are either Tejano / Chicano or Mexican.

My former boss was raised on a Native American Indian reservation and told me he was taunted by the kids when he was growing up because he looks (or can "pass") as white.

Write a good P.S. preferrably something witty or clever about growing up Hispanic. For example, when I was younger, I remember reading a children's book about a little boy who was blonde and Mexican. His cousin's who were not blonde told him he was not "Mexican" enough and convinved him to eat a hot pepper to make him more "Mexican". The mother, of course heard his yelps, the kid explained the situation, and the mother broke the truth down.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:37 pm

call LSAC. All we can offer is conjecture. I think it's probably fine though

DefyingGravity

Postby DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:13 pm

It sounds like you have greater issues to resolve than which box to check on the LSAT. As a person that is 50% Cuban, I was incredulous to read that you normally checked the box that you looked most like. I'm sorry if this post is harsh, but I am continuously baffled by the extent to which appearance seems to be conflated with race.

On a more positive note, changing which boxes you check shouldn't give you trouble with C&F since you have a legitimate explanation:)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I'd check the shit out of that box. And you don't have to write a PS or DS in order to call yourself a URM.

Postby 071816 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:58 pm

PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO ARE 100% "HISPANIC" ARE BLONDE. CHECK YOU FACTS!

I would check the box in your situation.
Last edited by 071816 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

law4vus wrote:Wouldn't there be C&F complications if they compare the box he checked for LS to the one he checked for undergrad?

^ TITCR. Ann Levine says so.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Who is Ann Levin and why would there be C&F complications if he isn't lying? If he has a good explanation for the change, I don't feel like C&F should be an issue. Even if he is lying, I doubt they will be able to find sufficient evidence to prove that he is lying and prevent him from sitting for the bar. Race is hard to trace and prove as it is.

Postby 071816 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:59 pm

hispanic/latino isn't a fucking race so of course it's hard to prove.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
law4vus wrote:Wouldn't there be C&F complications if they compare the box he checked for LS to the one he checked for undergrad?

^ TITCR. Ann Levine says so.

According to Anna Ivey, former Dean of Admissions at UChicago, the extent of the C&F "complications" that arise from a discrepancy of this sort is a phone call home to the applicant's parents asking them what his ethnicity is. That's it. There will never be any actual C&F problems if the applicant is telling the truth about his heritage.

Check the box, OP.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'd check the shit out of that box. And you don't have to write a PS or DS in order to call yourself a URM.

+1

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:56 pm

OP, you don't seem very bright. If you're making a big deal out of being blonde and not "looking" Hispanic, I really doubt you really identify with whatever Hispanic group you are talking about. Notwithstanding your idiotic comments, you should by all means check whatever box you feel comfortable checking.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”