AA Female/162/170/3.68 - Chances at T14? T30$$$?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
croger21

AA Female/162/170/3.68 - Chances at T14? T30$$$?

Postby croger21 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 pm

AA Female
LSAT: 162, 170
LSDAS GPA: 3.68
Softs: Master's Degree, Teach for America...campaign internship, editor of some journals in college, student court.....

No really great story for personal or diversity statement.

I am wondering about my chances of landing any T14. I would definitely be interested in Duke if there was some money involved.
Can I expect some generous $$$ from T30????

BlakcMajikc

Re: AA Female/162/170/3.68 - Chances at T14? T30$$$?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 pm

croger21 wrote:AA Female
LSAT: 162, 170
LSDAS GPA: 3.68
Softs: Master's Degree, Teach for America...campaign internship, editor of some journals in college, student court.....

No really great GOOD storyies for personal or diversity statement.

Can I expect some generous $$$ from T30 T14????

Don't worry about the retake. URM, 170 and 3.68 is in the HYS range. See lawschoolnumbers.com

Expect $$$ from multiple T14s (w/ the exception of need-based only HYS). You'll have your pick so shoot higher than Duke. You'll be deciding between full schollies and HYS. PM me if you have more detailed questions or want a more detailed answer.

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:32 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Don't worry about the retake. URM, 170 and 3.68 is in the HYS range. See lawschoolnumbers.com

Expect $$$ from multiple T14s (w/ the exception of need-based only HYS). You'll have your pick so shoot higher than Duke. You'll be deciding between full schollies and HYS. PM me if you have more detailed questions or want a more detailed answer.

BlakcMajikc,

Sorry to piggy back off of this subject but... do you not think that the first 162 score will have an effect on HYS admissions? I have read mixed opinions on multiple LSATs, and really hope a lower initial score does not hinder an applicant in any noticeable way. I am a AA male and my initial LSAT was FAR too low for an AA male to gain attendance, into Harvard but hope that I can possibly have a shot at getting in with a 3.3 171 or so. If my initial score is taken into account I can kiss that dream goodbye. What do you think?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:35 pm

bkbkbk wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:Don't worry about the retake. URM, 170 and 3.68 is in the HYS range. See lawschoolnumbers.com

BlakcMajikc,

Sorry to piggy back off of this subject but... do you not think that the first 162 score will have an effect on HYS admissions? I have read mixed opinions on multiple LSATs, and really hope a lower initial score does not hinder an applicant in any noticeable way. I am a AA male and my initial LSAT was FAR too low for an AA male to gain attendance, into Harvard but hope that I can possibly have a shot at getting in with a 3.3 171 or so. If my initial score is taken into account I can kiss that dream goodbye. What do you think?

Yale and Stanford take holistic approaches; I think you will most likely get the benefit of the doubt there. The common sentiment here is that Harvard averages scores. However, if your 2nd score is significantly higher than the first more weight is given to the second score. I am of the school of thought that school are usually more invested in your higher score because that's all the ABA requires them to provide for their entering class statistics. In your case it sounds like you will be ok.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Enjoy Yale.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 pm

bkbkbk wrote:

BlakcMajikc,

Currently attend Harvard now they don't care. I increased my LSAT score by a lot and I know a few other minority students who did the same thing and it didn't seem to matter.

P.s. If you get a 171 you will have a higher LSAT score than me and I got into Yale as well.
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkbkbk

Postby bkbkbk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I want to make clear however, that I do not have the 170 plus score yet... just practice testing my way there. So that number is a hypothetical for this scenario but also what I gauged I would need if my far lower initial score did not hold me back.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:51 pm

MrKappus wrote:Enjoy Yale.

As a fellow URM, I like to play devil's advocate to keep my own hopes in check. But while I would say you have very good odds from CCN down; I would hardly describe HYS as a "lock". There are a number of applicants on LSN with better numbers who were rejected or WL'd at all three schools.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goheels22

for one example. With that being said, you will most likely get into one of the top three.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:55 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Enjoy Yale.

As a fellow URM, I like to play devil's advocate to keep my own hopes in check. But while I would say you have very good odds from CCN down; I would hardly describe HYS as a "lock". There are a number of applicants on LSN with better numbers who were rejected or WL'd at all three schools.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goheels22

for one example. With that being said, you will most likely get into one of the top three.

AA. That is all.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:28 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
bkbkbk wrote:

BlakcMajikc,

Currently attend Harvard now they don't care. I increased my LSAT score by a lot and I know a few other minority students who did the same thing and it didn't seem to matter.

P.s. If you get a 171 you will have a higher LSAT score than me and I got into Yale as well.

I also had a retake (161, then 170). Much lower gpa 3.39 (LSAC). Got in at H. Not at Y. Didn't apply to S. In everywhere else.

Only getting the 170+ will matter. Get it and you have the best shot at HYS that you could asked for. Nothing is every 100%, but it's pretty darn close.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”