3.1, 175 AA Male

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Onessimus
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:08 pm

3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby Onessimus » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Where should I apply? I'm trying to get a fee waiver so I can blanket the t14 schools in bigger cities, then also applying to all the UC state schools since I wanna live in California long-term. I'm guessing as a splitter/URM, my cycle will be pretty unpredictable...

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby JustE » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Onessimus wrote:Where should I apply? I'm trying to get a fee waiver so I can blanket the t14 schools in bigger cities, then also applying to all the UC state schools since I wanna live in California long-term. I'm guessing as a splitter/URM, my cycle will be pretty unpredictable...


You have a shot at HYS and are in at the rest of the T14 (more than likely). I would blanket them all. Good luck.

User avatar
Bodhi_mind
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby Bodhi_mind » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Niiice numbers, apply everywhere in the T14 and you will dominate

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby lutcf2021 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Where did you end up?

Onessimus
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby Onessimus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Only got my apps in at the beginning of the month (waiting on a fourth LoR that took forever slowed me down) - still waiting to find out.

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby lutcf2021 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 am

Did you get into HYS??

Also, with numbers like these, can URMs specifically AA males get into the T6???

blackandstrong
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby blackandstrong » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

lutcf2021 wrote:Did you get into HYS??

Also, with numbers like these, can URMs specifically AA males get into the T6???


AA males can get in anywhere - especially the T14 - with a 163+.

Read: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=195443&hilit=+by+the+numbers+

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 pm

You may have the top LSAT of any AA applicant this cycle. Whether that's enough to offset a pretty low GPA for HYS remains to be seen.

You're in everywhere else.

Keep us updated on your cycle.

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby lutcf2021 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:27 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:You may have the top LSAT of any AA applicant this cycle. Whether that's enough to offset a pretty low GPA for HYS remains to be seen.

You're in everywhere else.

Keep us updated on your cycle.



I've been asking around (asking TLS folks..well one person who knows a lot) and I think even for a URM AA Male, his GPA may be too low.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:You may have the top LSAT of any AA applicant this cycle. Whether that's enough to offset a pretty low GPA for HYS remains to be seen.

You're in everywhere else.

Keep us updated on your cycle.



I've been asking around (asking TLS folks..well one person who knows a lot) and I think even for a URM AA Male, his GPA may be too low.


I figured as much.

Although at least 12 URMs have gotten into Harvard with his stats or worse in the last 10 cycles - http://myLSN.info/fgybvt

But yeah, generally 3.3 seems to be the general H floor for URMs. Which makes sense. Elterrible's analysis (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191773&p=6355475#p6355475 - and the chart above that post) shows H to be the most URM friendly top school, providing about a .4 GPA and/or 8 LSAT point boost.

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby lutcf2021 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm

I wonder if relevant work experience (ie working in a law firm) might help an applicant like that?

and what about this????



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124019&start=50

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:32 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:I wonder if relevant work experience (ie working in a law firm) might help an applicant like that?

and what about this????



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124019&start=50


Yes, softs matter much more for URMs.

And yeah, like I said, at least 12 people with OPs stats or worse have gotten into Harvard in recent times according to LSN.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:I wonder if relevant work experience (ie working in a law firm) might help an applicant like that?

and what about this????



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124019&start=50

only if you're putting in the time to distance yourself from bad gap

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby lutcf2021 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
lutcf2021 wrote:I wonder if relevant work experience (ie working in a law firm) might help an applicant like that?

and what about this????



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124019&start=50

only if you're putting in the time to distance yourself from bad gap


Like a year?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
lutcf2021 wrote:I wonder if relevant work experience (ie working in a law firm) might help an applicant like that?

and what about this????



viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124019&start=50

only if you're putting in the time to distance yourself from bad gap


Like a year?

Like 5. I'm not saying OP is out at HYS, but for the school to actually overlook your gpa to any extent, a year isn't gonna cut it.

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby PMan99 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Things to consider:

1) There's always a few URM troll accounts on LSN each year saying they got into Yale with a 2.1/143, so that 12 number is suspect

2) HYS is unlikely. A 3.1 is almost certainly DOA for YS. H has been known to dip down low on GPA but as mentioned above there's usually a floor around 3.3. That said, given the steep drop in applicants that floor may be lowered. Still, OP, if you are a junior it may be very worthwhile to apply next year when you have all of your senior year grades in - if you can somehow boost yourself up to around a 3.3 by taking easy classes and getting As.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 am

I want to know where OP ended up!

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3751
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: 3.1, 175 AA Male

Postby fips tedora » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 am

PRgradBYU wrote:I want to know where OP ended up!

This peaks my interest as well. Update?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], kolikotime, latif, uhwrestler, wheretogo17 and 1 guest