3.7/170 Cherokee Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hownowbrowncow

New

3.7/170 Cherokee

Post by hownowbrowncow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 am

I went to Dartmouth and graduated with a 3.7, I'm Cherokee and I scored a 170 on my LSAT. What are my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and NYU (acceptance and scholarship prospects). Teacher recs should be good and I've done an internship for the House and another one for the Brookings Institute. I posted this on what are my chances, but I figured this thread might be more relevant. Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3.7/170 Cherokee

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 am

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:43 am

My Magic 8 Ball says, Yes.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:46 am

I'd apply to the whole T14 (asking for fee waivers) and then try to negotiate up scholarship money in case you end up missing HYS.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 am

It's a tricky question. Are you enrolled in the tribe and have you had adequate connection/experiences to at least briefly discuss in a Personal Statement and/or Diversity Statement? Sentiment on this forum seems to be that NA may not be as big of a boost that some people think it is if it isn't in addition to some level of experience with your heritage.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:48 am

IAFG wrote:I'd apply to the whole T14 (asking for fee waivers) and then try to negotiate up scholarship money in case you end up missing HYS.
+1

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:It's a tricky question. Are you enrolled in the tribe and have you had adequate connection/experiences to at least briefly discuss in a Personal Statement and/or Diversity Statement? Sentiment on this forum seems to be that NA may not be as big of a boost that some people think it is if it isn't in addition to some level of experience with your heritage.

i'm mexican and i feel like i could write a PS on NA from how many goddamned RC passages there were about them

anela00

Bronze

Post by anela00 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Yay I'm Cherokee too! I'd love to hear how your cycle goes. I'm applying next year. It's hard to find Natives with similar numbers on lawschoolnumbers.com

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 pm

hownowbrowncow wrote:I went to Dartmouth and graduated with a 3.7, I'm Cherokee and I scored a 170 on my LSAT. What are my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and NYU (acceptance and scholarship prospects). Teacher recs should be good and I've done an internship for the House and another one for the Brookings Institute. I posted this on what are my chances, but I figured this thread might be more relevant. Thanks.
If you have a 170 LSAT, you could quite possibly the HIGHEST Native American LSAT score ever. If I remember right, 168 was the highest NA LSAT score for the last 8 years or so.

In 2009-2010 the highest score for a Native American/Alaska Native was 164. http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -10-03.pdf
Figure 14.
As a Native American myself, I would someday like to meet you. You could be our Barack Obama.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:It's a tricky question. Are you enrolled in the tribe and have you had adequate connection/experiences to at least briefly discuss in a Personal Statement and/or Diversity Statement? Sentiment on this forum seems to be that NA may not be as big of a boost that some people think it is if it isn't in addition to some level of experience with your heritage.
Yeah, this is what i've been told. I technically am a Cherokee (have a card, am on the roll (or my great grandfather or whatever was), get the cherokee newsletter, haha, have been to cherokee events), but I heard that unless you basically lived on a reservation and can talk about it no one cares. This is surprising actually since it seems they could report it no matter what, but for what it's worth.

Having said that, the only NA thing about me is that occasionally I wear sterotypically native american earrings, so I wouldn't have put it down anyway as I would've felt like a huge douche/fake.

anela00

Bronze

Post by anela00 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
If you have a 170 LSAT, you could quite possibly the HIGHEST Native American LSAT score ever. If I remember right, 168 was the highest NA LSAT score for the last 8 years or so.
No way, really? A Native co-worker was telling me about her Native friend who got a 180 and is at HLS now.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:59 pm

anela00 wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
No way, really? A Native co-worker was telling me about her Native friend who got a 180 and is at HLS now.
sounds false. great numbers. hope to see you at HLS. with NA in your PS/DS you should have your pick of HYS.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 pm

anela00 wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Find out when they took the LSAT, because in 2009-2010, nobody in America got a 180. Once again the highest Native American score then was 164.

Last year Harvard had 10 Native Americans, 3 graduated and 2 were first years. In turn, 5 were 2nd years.

I would love to meet everyone of them and shake their hands.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:33 am

Enjoy Columbia or up (I got wait-listed and a late rejection with -11 LSAT and -.5 GPA)

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 am

MormonChristian wrote:
hownowbrowncow wrote:I went to Dartmouth and graduated with a 3.7, I'm Cherokee and I scored a 170 on my LSAT. What are my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and NYU (acceptance and scholarship prospects). Teacher recs should be good and I've done an internship for the House and another one for the Brookings Institute. I posted this on what are my chances, but I figured this thread might be more relevant. Thanks.

In 2009-2010 the highest score for a Native American/Alaska Native was 164. http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -10-03.pdf
Figure 14.
As a Native American myself, I would someday like to meet you. You could be our Barack Obama.
I mean this in the least offensive way possible. But, there is absolutely no way that is remotely true.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:26 am

Congratulation . You changes are great for all T14.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I also doubt that that is true.

But even if you weren't Cherokee, your chances at the T14 schools are pretty high. Congrats on having kickass numbers!
FryBreadPower wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:

Figure 14.
I mean this in the least offensive way possible. But, there is absolutely no way that is remotely true.

Jacktone

New

Post by Jacktone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:19 pm

MormonChristian wrote:

Figure 14.
I think you are reading the data wrong. First, I'm Native and I scored a 172 in Dec 09. Second, look at Figures 17 and 20, which break down test scores by race/ethnicity for each gender. You'll notice that Figure 20 ends at around the 166 mark, which seems to contradict Figure 14 ending around 164, right? But if you look at Figure 17, that graph ends closer to 161. I think those smoothed percentage graphs end when the number of people who scored higher than the end mark is no longer statistically significant. Thus Figure 14 would be roughly an average of Figures 17 and 20, and we would expect Figure 14 to end, as it does, at either 163 or 164, even though those numbers do not represent the absolute highest score that any Native received during this time period. The number of Natives who scored over 164 in 09-10 is probably incredibly small, maybe you can even count us using your fingers, but we exist.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”