3.71 GPA/158/AA female --retake/apply...chances?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
EKR11

3.71 GPA/158/AA female --retake/apply...chances?

Postby EKR11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 am

Should I be moving forward with the application process or holding off for the December retake? I am an AA female, 3.71 LSAC GPA, 158 LSAT score and no extraordinary “softs”. It was my hope to apply to the following schools:

University of Texas (Should I even bother to consider a T-14 school at this point?) - ACCEPTED
Pepperdine - Decided not to apply
Fordam- Decided not to apply
Loyola Marymount - Pending
SMU - Pending
University of Houston - Pending
Howard - Decided not to apply
LSU - Decided not to apply

However, with my decent GPA but less than strong LSAT score and skepticism toward the URM "boost", I am not sure whether or not expecting admission into these schools would be reasonable. At this point, I would really appreciate any genuine advice you all have to offer as to what my chances for admission into the aforementioned schools would be and how you believe I should proceed at this point. Honestly, I am in a bit of a time crunch and have no idea what to do. My biggest concern is that one month of additional studying will only raise my score one or two points(I scored a solid 158, with the occasional +/- 2 points, on several PT prior to the October test so there was no real variance with my score). Meanwhile, many other applicants will have already applied and have been reviewed for admissions.
Last edited by EKR11 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbw

Re: 3.71 GPA/158/AA female --retake/apply...chances?

Postby mbw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

You should be looking at schools ranked 12 - 25, not any lower (maybe one or two in your home market if you are looking for $$.) You can send in your applications and ask schools to hold off for your December LSAT score. Or you can hold off until next year, retake in Feb or June (when you have lots of time to study). That's what I did - put off for a year when I came up short on the LSAT and applied really early after getting a higher score in June.

There are URMs in my class with your numbers (I had a much lower GPA, higher LSAT, but on the third try.) Don't sell yourself short.

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:16 am

mbw wrote:You should be looking at schools ranked 12 - 25, not any lower (maybe one or two in your home market if you are looking for $$.) You can send in your applications and ask schools to hold off for your December LSAT score. Or you can hold off until next year, retake in Feb or June (when you have lots of time to study). That's what I did - put off for a year when I came up short on the LSAT and applied really early after getting a higher score in June.

There are URMs in my class with your numbers (I had a much lower GPA, higher LSAT, but on the third try.) Don't sell yourself short.

Applying next cycle is not an option in my case. However, would re-taking and asking schools to hold off until my December scores not put me at a disadvantage time wise? Also, in all honesty, the list of schools I plan to apply to has been severely edited and this was based off taking a more "practical approach" to where I would actually stand a chance of admission, but I have heard from several individuals that I may benefit from shooting a little higher. However, based on numbers alone I feel as my current choices are fairly reasonable. Are there any specific schools 12-25 you would suggest I consider?

Thanks for your response! At this point, ever perspective is truly helpful.

Champion

Postby Champion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Last edited by Champion on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Champion

Postby Champion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm

As for specific schools 12-25...look at UCLA, BC, BU, Vanderbilt, GWU. My friend (URM AA Female had a 3.5, 155 at BC and got almost everything paid for. Don't let law school numbers or tls'ers deter you!

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 pm

law schools have really low standards for AA admission. Apply t14 only.

Champion

Postby Champion » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 am

Last edited by Champion on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:40 pm

I would say retake - I'm pretty confident with your numbers, you could get into a law school that is plenty good enough to have a successful life and be happy. However, if you have a 3.71 and you are self-aware enough to be on these boards trying to figure out where to apply, I have faith that you are smart enough to at least break 160, and that could make you a lock at some of those schools like UCLA and Texas plus more money. If not though, good luck with your cycle as is!

edit - just saw you were applying to LSU - as a Louisiana resident, I can confidently say that you should just go there and I'll see you in south Louisiana at some point in the future :)

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:41 pm

If the material is still fresh I say retake. Cracking the 150s to get into the 160s is not very difficult. You probably just need to clean up a few things to get into the low 160s.

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have decided to move forward with my cycle and bypass a re-take. Unlike various other posters, I experienced no significant difference in my PT scores and my actual LSAT score. Therefore, I feared that by waiting for a retake I would more than likely only increase a point or two, which from what I understand is of no true benefit. Hopefully by submitting several applications prior to the early decision deadlines and getting in front of a lot of other applicants, time wise, my LSAT score wont hinder me too much. I will keep you all posted. :)

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 pm

My original post has been updated to reflect some changes that were made in where I chose to apply, and of course the unexpected acceptance into UT.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

EKR11 wrote:My original post has been updated to reflect some changes that were made in where I chose to apply, and of course the unexpected acceptance into UT.

Which is why you should throw some more apps out there to the 12-25 range including but not limiting to Gtown, Vandy, UCLA, WUSTL.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm

EKR11 wrote:My original post has been updated to reflect some changes that were made in where I chose to apply, and of course the unexpected acceptance into UT.

I actually don't think you should be surprised. Congrats. Also send an app to Berkeley.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm

EKR11 wrote:Applying next cycle is not an option in my case.

As a general rule, this is 100% false 99% of the time.

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:05 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:

Which is why you should throw some more apps out there to the 12-25 range including but not limiting to Gtown, Vandy, UCLA, WUSTL.

In all honesty, I doubt I'll be sending out any other apps (with the exception of Berkeley). UT seems like the "logical choice" considering the following: price, rank, and the fact that I am a current UT student. Ultimately, many of the schools I would be most interested in, based on their location and comparable rank (UCLA, Berkeley, and Georgetown ), simply don't compare price wise.

Justdoingmybest wrote:

I actually don't think you should be surprised. Congrats. Also send an app to Berkeley.

Thank you! Berkeley is actually the only other school I'm considering applying to at this point. I've actually completed the application, but held off on submitting it because I didn't received a fee waiver from them and I was doubting I had any chance to begin with... so I figured why waste the money.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:12 pm

EKR11 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

In all honesty, I doubt I'll be sending out any other apps (with the exception of Berkeley). UT seems like the "logical choice" considering the following: price, rank, and the fact that I am a current UT student. Ultimately, many of the schools I would be most interested in, based on their location and comparable rank (UCLA, Berkeley, and Georgetown ), simply don't compare price wise.

Justdoingmybest wrote:

Thank you! Berkeley is actually the only other school I'm considering applying to at this point. I've actually completed the application, but held off on submitting it because I didn't received a fee waiver from them and I was doubting I had any chance to begin with... so I figured why waste the money.

I didn't apply to Berkeley but I'm not sure they give Merit based waivers. But with your numbers you send an app to Berkeley. And fill out some other t-14 to see if u have hidden waivers (try NYU, Michigan and Cornell)...you might be surprised.

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:16 pm

This may seem like an odd question to ask, but I'm trying to look at both the pros and cons of attending UT. Clearly I'm aware of the pros (price, rank, job opportunities, etc) and I've definitely become quite familiar with the student during my time here as a student. However, in general and as a URM what are some of the CONS associated with attending UT? As a current student my perception may be somewhat biased, so opinions of others would be nice.

EKR11

Postby EKR11 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:

Justdoingmybest wrote:
EKR11 wrote:Thank you! Berkeley is actually the only other school I'm considering applying to at this point. I've actually completed the application, but held off on submitting it because I didn't received a fee waiver from them and I was doubting I had any chance to begin with... so I figured why waste the money.

I didn't apply to Berkeley but I'm not sure they give Merit based waivers. But with your numbers you send an app to Berkeley. And fill out some other t-14 to see if u have hidden waivers (try NYU, Michigan and Cornell)...you might be surprised.

I do have fee waivers from: Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Duke, and Virginia. I've already applied to NYU and an acceptance there would make my decision 100x more difficult. NYU has always been my dream school, but the tuition price and cost of living is a deterrent. I've completed the Michigan app as well; however, have I have not submitted it because I'm weary of submitting without completing the optional essays.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:26 pm

You should start studying for Feb now. Best case scenario, you'll score over 160 and will make it off of several T-14 waitlists. Wost case scenario for you now is making the waitlist everywhere from Michigan to GT. If you can't wait a year, a Feb retake is your best bet. The waitlist is a toss up, but it's your best.

For the record, I was in your shoes months ago, vowing I could not wait another year. I had a 3.21 and a 162, applied Feb. 16th and was waitlisted at Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, and Georgetown. I didn't make it off of any of them. I scored a bit higher this October and expect much better results. With your GPA, you should be at HYS and have your pick of full rides everywhere else. Don't waste your GPA. You're obviously smart and can hit 165+ with a bit of hard work. Waiting a year might be the credited response.

Congrats on UT, but unless you want to live in Texas, start studying for a retake and consider waiting a year. You'll be doing yourself a disservice otherwise. Accept no less than $100k from a T-14.

Good luck.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”