Mental Illness/SUDs Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
89vision

Bronze

Mental Illness/SUDs

Post by 89vision » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Anyone else have mental health issues that is in law school? I was diagnosed with Bi polar disorder before my soph year of undergrad. Obviously undergrad is not too demanding, but does attending law school aggravate underlying issues? How did you transition to law school- finding new doctors (go through the school?), etc. Any students who are in recovery? How did adjusting to a new school work out? I am a bit nervous about law school and finding the right environment. None of my friends in law school have any of the above issues, and my friends that do are not in school. I'd appreciate any insight, or advice in what to look for in a law school if you have some mental health/substance use problems. Thanks in advance.

jess

Re: Mental Illness/SUDs

Post by jess » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

89vision

Bronze

Re: Mental Illness/SUDs

Post by 89vision » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 am

What do you mean?

The issue is I was on disciplinary probation with my school, twice, and their records indicate that I am bipolar. I am going to look at my file next week, but I the mental illness bit is in there, without a doubt. Other people on here said to disclose the mental illness portion as well as the SUD or I could fail the bar, and that disclosing both would not impact the application. Granted, I do not know if the responders have insight or are using scare tactics, but I personally think the mental illness bit would be negative.

Would it be better to ask an adviser than people on here? People are saying I would fail C&F if I didn't disclose the bipolar tidbit.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”