URM Admissions Boost at Michigan?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
darkgrayclouds

URM Admissions Boost at Michigan?

Postby darkgrayclouds » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Is the general consensus that Michigan gives less of a URM boost than the rest of the T-14? I'm somewhat familiar with Grutz v. Bollinger, but I'm not sure if they nevertheless give a URM boost in some roundabout way. In Michigan's app, it states the following for the question that identifies ethnicity:

(Optional) The information requested below is optional and will not be used in the admissions process. It is collected to comply with state and federal reporting requirements, as well as for statistical purposes. Your answer, or decision not to answer, will have no bearing on the Law School’s admission decision.

As I understand it, California schools have also been the subject of legal cases that prevent them from factoring in race during the admissions process. Are Stanford and Berkeley in the same boat as Michigan in regard to how they view URMs?

Thanks.

Sh@keNb@ke

Re: URM Admissions Boost at Michigan?

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Write a DS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Look at the data and you tell me whether URM status matters for UMich:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

bruss

Postby bruss » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:24 pm

bk1 wrote:Look at the data and you tell me whether URM status matters for UMich:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

nice

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Gratz applied only to UG admissions at Mich. My understanding of Grutter, the relevant decision, is that Mich law school can still use a type of "holistic" review in selecting among candidates, including considering URM status. Btw, this is effectively what Cal, UCLA, and the other UC schools do as well. The degree of the boost per URM status will probably differ among schools though in CA, Mich, and elsewhere.

Postby 071816 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 pm

URMs get just as much of a boost at Michigan as anywhere else. The school is in the midwest and likely doesn't attract as many minority applicants as schools on the coasts. I got waitlisted there and I'm a non-URM hispanic with below median numbers who got outright rejected at lower ranked schools on the coasts. I'm just one data point, but if you look at Michigan's LSN graphs you will see that the URM boost at Michigan is at least comparable to that of its peer schools.

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:22 am

chimp wrote:URMs get just as much of a boost at Michigan as anywhere else. The school is in the midwest and likely doesn't attract as many minority applicants as schools on the coasts. I got waitlisted there and I'm a non-URM hispanic with below median numbers who got outright rejected at lower ranked schools on the coasts. I'm just one data point, but if you look at Michigan's LSN graphs you will see that the URM boost at Michigan is at least comparable to that of its peer schools.

Did you write a DS?

Postby 071816 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:Did you write a DS?

No, but my PS incorporated a good deal of info about my background and I wrote a Why Michigan.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”