Are Natives of Guam Considered Hispanic?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jcruz1

Are Natives of Guam Considered Hispanic?

Postby jcruz1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm a Chamorro (a native of Guam), and I'm wondering if I should check Hispanic on the Demographics section. I was told that I should a decade ago when I was applying or college and taking the SATs, and was even recognized by the NHRP. I know that definitions change over time, and I'm wondering if I qualify now. Thanks.

Yeshia90

Re: Are Natives of Guam Considered Hispanic?

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Wouldn't it be more Pacific Islander?

jcruz1

Postby jcruz1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Wouldn't it be more Pacific Islander?

Yeah I check that one too, but Hispanic's a separate category.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:37 pm

It's a self identification issue, so check whatever you identify with most. If you're unsure just check all that apply (I would think that may include Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, and probably Caucasian)

jcruz1

Postby jcruz1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 pm

bdubs wrote:It's a self identification issue, so check whatever you identify with most. If you're unsure just check all that apply (I would think that may include Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, and probably Caucasian)

Thanks, that's really helpful.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:47 pm

jcruz1 wrote:
bdubs wrote:It's a self identification issue, so check whatever you identify with most. If you're unsure just check all that apply (I would think that may include Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic, and probably Caucasian)

No problem. Also, don't worry about whatever small effect it will have on your application. Unless you check the African American, Mexican, Peurto Rican, or Native American box(es) everyone pretty much agrees that it has very little influence on the admissions decision.

ETC: careless omission of Native Americans
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 pm

bdubs wrote:
jcruz1 wrote:

No problem. Also, don't worry about whatever small effect it will have on your application. Unless you check the African American, Mexican, or Peurto Rican box(es) everyone pretty much agrees that it has very little influence on the admissions decision.

You forgot Native American.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”