general PS length limit?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
horrorbusiness

general PS length limit?

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Hey, just wondering on what the general limit for PS length is. I saw 500 words somewhere, and 2 pages (12pt TNR, 1' margins, double spaced) somewhere else. These are pretty different. I'm trying to write a broad PS i can send to all of my ~20 schools. What limit should I aim for that most schools have in common?

edit: oops wrong forum... mods, if you could move me..

Renzo

Re: general PS length limit?

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:34 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:Hey, just wondering on what the general limit for PS length is. I saw 500 words somewhere, and 2 pages (12pt TNR, 1' margins, double spaced) somewhere else. These are pretty different. I'm trying to write a broad PS i can send to all of my ~20 schools. What limit should I aim for that most schools have in common?

Two double-spaced pages and 500 words shouldn't be that far apart, that's why you hear them both. Generally you estimate a double-spaced page as containing 250 words. So, there's your goal.

horrorbusiness

Re: general PS length limit?

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:Hey, just wondering on what the general limit for PS length is. I saw 500 words somewhere, and 2 pages (12pt TNR, 1' margins, double spaced) somewhere else. These are pretty different. I'm trying to write a broad PS i can send to all of my ~20 schools. What limit should I aim for that most schools have in common?

Two double-spaced pages and 500 words shouldn't be that far apart, that's why you hear them both. Generally you estimate a double-spaced page as containing 250 words. So, there's your goal.

hmm i see. thing is, i'm at 460 words but like 1.25 pages.. you think 2 pages double spaced too much for the 500-word people?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”