Multiracial- How does checking two boxes affect decisions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Multiracial- How does checking two boxes affect decisions

Post by chucklesmcgee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:13 am

Question for you guys-

I identify as both African American and White. If I check both African American and White, how would my boost compare to just African American?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Multiracial- How does checking two boxes affect decisions

Post by bk1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 am

It would be exactly the same.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Why would you check both? Check the one most advantageous to you and be done with it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Curious1 wrote:Why would you check both? Check the one most advantageous to you and be done with it.
Watch out because this might blow your mongrel mind, but some people actually fill out ethnicity questionnaires honestly rather than solely based on possible admission bumps.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Why would you check both? Check the one most advantageous to you and be done with it.
Watch out because this might blow your mongrel mind, but some people actually fill out ethnicity questionnaires honestly rather than solely based on possible admission bumps.
People like that have no business going to law school.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Curious1 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
People like that have no business going to law school.
Yikes...

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:46 pm

More to the point is that he wouldn't be lying if he only checked one. It asks for self-identification, and no one but yourself can know (if you are half-white half-black) which one you identify with. So why should he potentially deny himself the advantage and check both?

We all agree on here that law school admissions is a game. Of course you shouldn't break the rules and claim to be AA if you're not. In this case I don't see why he shouldn't use the rules to his advantage.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Curious1 wrote:More to the point is that he wouldn't be lying if he only checked one. It asks for self-identification, and no one but yourself can know (if you are half-white half-black) which one you identify with. So why should he potentially deny himself the advantage and check both?

We all agree on here that law school admissions is a game. Of course you shouldn't break the rules and claim to be AA if you're not. In this case I don't see why he shouldn't use the rules to his advantage.
I appreciate the candidness. I guess my question still lies in whether or not checking both denies me an advantage. I did mark AA on the LSAT, which only allows one.

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 pm

I asked the same question a few months ago..

For me it wasn't so much about getting the biggest bump possible, but rather the fact that I've only been checking the AA box for college apps + standardized tests my whole life so why should I change now?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Check whatever you usually check. I always find these questions odd. This is a matter of self-identification. You know what your own self-identity is better than any of us. If you always identified as both White and AA, then there is no reason to change it now. If you always identified as AA, then continue doing that. Your own self-identify isn't something that others can tell you. Just look in the figurative mirror and ask yourself which one defines you.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:12 pm

this decision will have absolutely no impact on your cycle. do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

LOL @ people thinking OP will get a bigger bump if he checks only one box.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”