2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
helloworld
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm

2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby helloworld » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm

*gpa is from a computer sci degree at howard university

-before school begins, i'll have 2yrs of full-time work experience
-interested in ip lit

where should i apply?
thoughts on applying early decision?
if asked, should i specify sexuality on apps?


thanks for the help. i've been stalking the boards the entire summer. can't wait to get these apps out!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 pm

The entire T20

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 pm

You shouldn't need more than the T14.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby bport hopeful » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm

YourCaptain wrote:You shouldn't need more than the T14.

This is prolly true. I might do 20 just cuz of the sub 3 GPA. See what happens. Regardless, life is good.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby 20121109 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Splitter URM cycles are by far the most difficult to predict.

HYSCCN are out with that low GPA...I know you're a comp sci major but I don't think it would mitigate a sub 3.0 GPA for admission. Apply to the rest of the T20. Northwestern will likely accept you with $$...other than that it's kind of hard to say. But you should end up attending a T14. I suspect you'll see your share of WLs.

Put together a stellar application and see what happens. Good luck :)

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Angrygeopolitically
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 pm

I would apply to NYU at least. Maybe try that new ED-NW thing for a full-ride. I would not ed anywhere else because you might get a couple of dollars at the lower t14. Also, consider Wustl for a potential full-ride.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby 20121109 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:HYSCCN are out with that low GPA...I know you're a comp sci major but I don't think it would mitigate a sub 3.0 GPA for admission. Apply to the rest of the T20.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to apply to the T6. I bet at least one of them will bite.


Sub 3.0 GPA at the T6? What exactly are you basing this on? HYS will definitely not dip below a 3.0. CCN would? Not likely...

By all means apply to the T6, OP, if you really want to...just don't hold your breath. Either way, you will still have some wonderful options.

helloworld
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby helloworld » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:HYSCCN are out with that low GPA...I know you're a comp sci major but I don't think it would mitigate a sub 3.0 GPA for admission. Apply to the rest of the T20.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to apply to the T6. I bet at least one of them will bite.


Sub 3.0 GPA at the T6? What exactly are you basing this on? HYS will definitely not dip below a 3.0. CCN would? Not likely...

By all means apply to the T6, OP, if you really want to...just don't hold your breath. Either way, you will still have some wonderful options.



I'm going to apply just out of curiosity. If I was accepted into Georgetown I'd be thrilled. Had a full ride for ug, so not too concerned about the debt. Just want to attend the best place, with the best job opportunities.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 2.9*/175/african-american female/glbt/1st gen

Postby 20121109 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:35 am

helloworld wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:HYSCCN are out with that low GPA...I know you're a comp sci major but I don't think it would mitigate a sub 3.0 GPA for admission. Apply to the rest of the T20.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to apply to the T6. I bet at least one of them will bite.


Sub 3.0 GPA at the T6? What exactly are you basing this on? HYS will definitely not dip below a 3.0. CCN would? Not likely...

By all means apply to the T6, OP, if you really want to...just don't hold your breath. Either way, you will still have some wonderful options.



I'm going to apply just out of curiosity. If I was accepted into Georgetown I'd be thrilled. Had a full ride for ug, so not too concerned about the debt. Just want to attend the best place, with the best job opportunities.


I hope I'm wrong :D I can only speak to what I've seen over 3 URM cycles, so forgive me if I seem a little pessimistic...but with your LSAT score, maybe you can slip by...at worst, you will never think, "What if...?"

Good luck <3




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests