Mexican URM wondering my chances of admittance

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bjokay

Mexican URM wondering my chances of admittance

Postby bjokay » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 am

Hello All,

I am taking my LSAT on October 1, 2011 so you can imagine how antsy I am getting for the big day.
Anyway, I am feeling pretty confident about my ability to score well on the test and I wanted to check and see if anyone had any input they could give me as to my chances of admittance to the T-14 schools.

I have a 3.81 LSAC GPA from UC Berkeley and I expect to get somewhere around a 170 on the LSAT (plus or minus 2). I am also half mexican, so I qualify as a URM. Does anyone know of anyone with this profile getting into Harvard? or Columbia? I don't want to spend my time applying all around and want to focus on schools that will actually give me a shot. Any input is appreciated.

soj

Re: Mexican URM wondering my chances of admittance

Postby soj » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:17 am

I think you'll have a good shot at both if you get a 168-172. URM cycles are a little unpredictable, though, so I'd apply not just to H & C but their peer schools, too, as well as a few safeties. With a 3.8/168+, you won't need to go lower than T14. Apply ASAP after getting your score.

A quick search on LSN of URM applicants to HLS last year with 3.75-3.85/167-173 shows 1 accept and 2 WL/rejects. But that's quite a small sample size, and both WL/rejects were accepted at SLS, so it's not too discouraging!

But don't worry about chances right now. Focus on acing the LSAT this Saturday. You can waste time being neurotic afterwards. Relax and go to bed earlier starting tomorrow. You want plenty of rest for Saturday.

You might also get more responses in the URM forum.

Re: Mexican URM wondering my chances of admittance

Postby 20121109 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 am

soj wrote:You might also get more responses in the URM forum.

Good point.

OP, I hope you don't mind but I'm moving you to the URM forum :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”