Question Regarding Self-Identification

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Morkie2500

Question Regarding Self-Identification

Postby Morkie2500 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Removed for identity protection. Many thanks for your advice.
Last edited by Morkie2500 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Re: Question Regarding Self-Identification

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

If you're unhappy with the specified categories or feel it doesn't accurately describe your predicament, check "other". You can write a diversity statement to that effect or an addendum etc.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:If you're unhappy with the specified categories or feel it doesn't accurately describe your predicament, check "other". You can write a diversity statement to that effect or an addendum etc.

This. Check the "other" box, write in "Coptic", and include a DS explaining why you did that and how it means you'd add diversity to the school.

Morkie2500

Postby Morkie2500 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will check "other" and talk about my heritage; hope to get a bit of a boost for being an ethnic minority who is very much involved with my heritage, though not a URM boost.

My brother (technically half brother: he is applying this year and also frequents this blog) is part black Egyptian, and is really going to cash out on that. I can't say that the notion of doing the same didn't cross my mind. But ultimately, I think schools use African-American interchangably with black.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”