x

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sach1282

x

Postby sach1282 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:10 am

Decision made, removed for privacy.
Last edited by sach1282 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

thelawschoolproject

Re: Diversity Statement Topic (Help!)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am

Here are few things I would consider:

1). Why do you think writing a DS will push you over the edge at some schools, especially when it seems like you've already addressed your diversity in your PS?

2). Would you consider switching your PS to your DS? I know you said you don't want to revise it, but from what it sounds like maybe your sexuality is better fit for a DS and the Honduras work for your PS, if you're intent on writing 2 separate pieces.

3). I reiterate, why is it that you want to write a DS?

In my opinion, unless by writing a separate statement you can say something in more detail or more effectively than you did in your PS you shouldn't write one. Now, if you feel that you can add more information/detail/understanding through another document then I say you should pick the topic that allows you to do that the most effectively, and ultimately you're the only person who knows what topic that is.

Best of luck!

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 am

I want to write a DS because the topics mentioned above, unless they are written about in a DS, will not be written about at all in my application. I would like the give the ADCOMMs as complete a picture as possible.
Last edited by sach1282 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 pm

I can appreciate that you want them to know as much about you as possible. I'm in a similar position where I have a lot of information that would be worth writing about, but I'm forcing myself to focus on the most important situation. Everyone has their baggage, you know? But there comes a point when listing all of life's ups and downs just becomes too much. The best advice I can give you is to switch the information in your PS to your DS, since it's more diversity oriented and obviously the most important aspect of yourself that you wish to share, and then to pick a secondary situation that highlights specifically the work you've done that shows why you'd make a good lawyer. While I'm sure the information in your PS already does this, I can't think of another way for you to address additional information effectively. It seems to me that by mentioning two different types of diversity in two different statements that it might come across as too much, at least, that's my fear in my personal situation. I don't want to appear as if I'm complaining about all that I've overcome or that my life has been really rough, feel sorry for me. Maybe you've found a way to mitigate that, though. My fear is simply coming across as beaten up rather than strong. I guess I'm wondering if this is something that your fearful of or not?

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 pm

I understand completely. I don't really want to write a diversity statement about how hard I've had it. In fact, I absolutely will not write one like that. If I do end up writing a DS, I want it to be about a unique perspective I have, with little to no "overcoming obstacle" stuff. If I wrote any of the topics I listed, that's the angle I would take.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 am

- Write a DS. You should always write one if you are a minority of any type.
- You can make the DS more about a great quality or personality trait that you might now have because of your experiences or background. (Mine was perseverance/justice-driven because of my family background, but it wasn't based on growing up poor or anything like that).

I would take the APD out of your PS and use that and your 2 yrs of experience for your DS (and maybe add a quick look-in at what you are doing now).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”