Could use some help on where to apply...

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Fujin11

Could use some help on where to apply...

Postby Fujin11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm an African American male with a 3.1 GPA (probably be around a 3.2 when I graduate in December) and a 156 Oct. LSAT.

Strong upward grade trend (I can write an addendum for family illness tanking my GPA freshman year), work experience as a journalist covering a tech beat (6 months as a freelancer at one company, 6 months on staff at another), first generation college student/graduate and the first in my family to go beyond a college degree.

I'm not really sure where these numbers are competitive for African Americans. I was considering applying to Fordham, W&M and BC/BU as reach schools, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, OSU and Wake as targets and possibly Northeastern as a safety.

So what do you guys think, too high?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Last edited by Fujin11 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Re: Could use some help on where to apply...

Postby PinkCow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Your GPA's a little low. AFAIK, law schools are much more forgiving when it comes to URM LSAT scores than GPA.

lawschoolnumbers.com is probably your best bet to see how URMs have favored, but your list looks pretty good, if not a little safe.

Crack 165 and your looking at some great options.

That being said, until you have an actual score, this isn't that fruitful.

Fujin11

Postby Fujin11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:47 pm

What are the options if I get above a 165, out of curiosity?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:38 am

People don't like responding to hypotheticals...for good reason.

If you want different scenarios, go to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and plug in different numbers. It should give you a general idea of what you're dealing with but it's not 100% accurate. URM cycles are hard to predict but if you come back with an actual score, you'll get more responses with regards to where you should apply. Good luck.

Fujin11

Postby Fujin11 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm

bump for great justice/ updated info up top

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:07 am

Fujin11 wrote:bump for great justice/ updated info up top

Pretty decent shot at many schools in the top 40-50 if you apply early... early being before Halloween.

Fujin11

Postby Fujin11 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Anyone got any insight on my chances at fordham part time? Thats where I'm really interested in going, for family reasons

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:40 am

Fujin11 wrote:Anyone got any insight on my chances at fordham part time? Thats where I'm really interested in going, for family reasons

You could shoot an app their way, I'm sure it would not hurt. You never know you might have great softs, or write a very compelling personal statement. But your numbers don't match with theirs. You said for family reasons you wanted to be there? What about Brooklyn Law School? It's about 37 places lower... But it is still in NY and your numbers fit perfectly with that since you are a URM.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 am

Fujin11 wrote:What are the options if I get above a 165, out of curiosity?

Lower t14. I'd retake if possible

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:27 am

Fujin11 wrote:I'm an African American male with a 3.1 GPA (probably be around a 3.2 when I graduate in December) and a 156 Oct. LSAT.

Strong upward grade trend (I can write an addendum for family illness tanking my GPA freshman year), work experience as a journalist covering a tech beat (6 months as a freelancer at one company, 6 months on staff at another), first generation college student/graduate and the first in my family to go beyond a college degree.

I'm not really sure where these numbers are competitive for African Americans. I was considering applying to Fordham, W&M and BC/BU as reach schools, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, OSU and Wake as targets and possibly Northeastern as a safety.

So what do you guys think, too high?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Keep in mind that with applications falling down, some of these schools will be under a lot of pressure to keep their medians up. This could affect admissions in a lot of ways, but one distinctly possible way is to cut down on minority enrollment. So your URM boost could potentially not be as strong this year as it was in the past. At least for the schools listed above, who have enormous pressure (As opposed to schools in the T14) to maintain their medians. I would honestly try to retake or even sit out a cycle if you're not ready in December.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”