AA males at Stanford?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Justdoingmybest

AA males at Stanford?

Postby Justdoingmybest » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 am

Last edited by Justdoingmybest on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4

Re: AA males at Stanford?

Postby dkt4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 am

Last edited by dkt4 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 am

Last edited by Justdoingmybest on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 pm

it's actually at least 9, forgot someone yesterday that i just remembered. i think the class is something like 170 students (not exactly sure). that's just one year...but yeah, you're not gonna run into 20-30 black males in a class that size. 10ish seems about right.

i would guess SLS is friendly to reverse splitters (higher GPA, lower LSAT, if i have that term correctly labeled?) just because the admissions office generally seems to favor high GPAs...however I was a splitter. i haven't asked anyone about their GPA/LSAT because it doesn't matter anymore for my class.

i have no idea what a typical day is like, classes start tomorrow.

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 pm

tch562

Postby tch562 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:01 pm

dkt4 wrote:it's actually at least 9, forgot someone yesterday that i just remembered. i think the class is something like 170 students (not exactly sure). that's just one year...but yeah, you're not gonna run into 20-30 black males in a class that size. 10ish seems about right.

i would guess SLS is friendly to reverse splitters (higher GPA, lower LSAT, if i have that term correctly labeled?) just because the admissions office generally seems to favor high GPAs...however I was a splitter. i haven't asked anyone about their GPA/LSAT because it doesn't matter anymore for my class.

i have no idea what a typical day is like, classes start tomorrow.

You're the first splitter I've seen for Stanford (I want more than anything to go to Stanford). If you don't mind, what were your stats?

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Last edited by PMan99 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am

PMan99 wrote:
tch562 wrote:
You're the first splitter I've seen for Stanford (I want more than anything to go to Stanford). If you don't mind, what were your stats?

If you look at LSN there's a number of splitters who get into Stanford each year. That being said depending on the type and severity of the split, H is probably a better bet.

I have yet to see a single URM on LSN with my stats. It's awful trying to gauge where i'd get in with my numbers:

URM (Mex)
172 (Retaking in June, can realistically bump to a 176-178)
2.81 Undergrad GPA

Still debating on whether I should just throw an app out to HSCCN for the hell of it

Basically, if you check URM Only, LSAT range 170-180, and GPA range 2.5-3.0, you get 0 results.

tch562

Postby tch562 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:47 pm

SublimeStyle wrote:
PMan99 wrote:
tch562 wrote:

If you look at LSN there's a number of splitters who get into Stanford each year. That being said depending on the type and severity of the split, H is probably a better bet.

I have yet to see a single URM on LSN with my stats. It's awful trying to gauge where i'd get in with my numbers:

URM (Mex)
2.81 Undergrad GPA

Still debating on whether I should just throw an app out to HSCCN for the hell of it

Basically, if you check URM Only, LSAT range 170-180, and GPA range 2.5-3.0, you get 0 results.

Yeah, I've pretty much had the same results. Hopefully we'll have pretty close stats, I'm an URM (AA), taking the LSAT in June hoping to squeak out a 172+ for a T14. Got very good softs, 2.5 years of WE. Where else are you thinking of applying? It'll be interesting to see if we end up in the same boat.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:58 pm

tch562 wrote:
SublimeStyle wrote:
PMan99 wrote:
tch562 wrote:

URM (Mex)
2.81 Undergrad GPA

Yeah, I've pretty much had the same results. Hopefully we'll have pretty close stats, I'm an URM (AA), taking the LSAT in June hoping to squeak out a 172+ for a T14. Got very good softs, 2.5 years of WE. Where else are you thinking of applying? It'll be interesting to see if we end up in the same boat.

Realistically, the best school I can probably get into would be Northwestern. The rest of the T-14 I'm kind of just applying to in case I somehow get in late off their W/L.

Good shot:
Northwestern
Georgetown

Ok shot:
Cornell
Michigan
Virginia
Penn

Slim shot:
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Boalt

Zero shot but will apply for the hell of it:
Harvard
Stanford

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 pm

SublimeStyle wrote:
tch562 wrote:
SublimeStyle wrote:I have yet to see a single URM on LSN with my stats. It's awful trying to gauge where i'd get in with my numbers:

URM (Mex)
2.81 Undergrad GPA

Realistically, the best school I can probably get into would be Northwestern. The rest of the T-14 I'm kind of just applying to in case I somehow get in late off their W/L.

Good shot:
Northwestern
Georgetown

Ok shot:
Cornell
Michigan
Virginia
Penn

Slim shot:
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
Boalt

Zero shot but will apply for the hell of it:
Harvard
Stanford

I'd only apply to HSBCC if you feel comfortable losing $500. I guess you could look at it as that money giving you peace of mind (I did it with Yale).

That being said there are some comparisons for you guys.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/eseedril (Got Northwestern)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/slightlystoopid (Got UVA)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/word75007 (Got UT)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/reup (got NYU)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/snowctu7 (got UVA)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Dansthe3rd (Got Penn)

Realistically, aside from the occasional hail mary that makes the waitlist at NYU, your best bet is to ED to UVA, it seems like. That being said each one of these people were probably the lowest GPA in their class, so you can't count on anything.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”