Can I check Hispanic?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sfamor

New

Can I check Hispanic??

Post by sfamor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Wondering if I can check the Hispanic box along with White... I am 1/4 Spanish (2 Great-grandparents were born in Spain, moved separately to Mexico as children, met and married there and eventually moved to the U.S.). Most people I've spoken to have said that I definitely should not be checking Hispanic and that I am just European American mix. For the most part I agree with them, but I was raised with my Grandpa who is the one who is 100% Spanish and I identify strongly with that culture. I learned Spanish and English at the same time as a child and my family name is Garcia. I don't want to misrepresent myself and am leaning strongly toward not checking Hispanic, but thought I'd throw it out there...

Halie

New

Re: Can I check Hispanic??

Post by Halie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:01 pm

To tell you the truth, you could probably get away with it especially if your last name is Garcia. I also have a grandparent who is from Spain and I did the same thing when I was applying to UG. Now, I'm on the listserv for every Hispanic org on campus. However, I (unlike you) don't speak Spanish (embarrassingly), don't really identify as "Hispanic" and probably would't put it on a law school app.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Hmmm.
What is the wikipedia definition of Hispanic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_a ... _Americans
Seems like it may include the Iberian Peninsula.

sfamor

New

Post by sfamor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 pm

To clarify, my mom's maiden name is Garcia. I have my dads Scottish last name! I did just learn that my cousin had checked Hispanic on his apps, but he does have the last name of Garcia and it probably wasn't questioned.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 pm

So, your family lived a couple generations in Mexico? Not only would I check Hispanic, but I'd also check Mexican.

My great-grandparents from one side of my family moved from Spain to Cuba. The other side is of African descent(Afro-Cuban). If anybody were to call me European or African.. well, that'd just be ignorant.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:15 pm

sfamor wrote:To clarify, my mom's maiden name is Garcia. I have my dads Scottish last name! I did just learn that my cousin had checked Hispanic on his apps, but he does have the last name of Garcia and it probably wasn't questioned.
If I thought something I was writing would not pass questioning, I wouldn't write it to begin with.
You can always just meet it upfront with an addendum.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:47 am

srzly?

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 am

Do whatever the hell you want
Last edited by TheFriendlyBarber on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgndvo

Bronze

Post by rgndvo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm

OP: This question is really a red-herring. You, a Spaniard, want to check Hispanic in order to receive some sort of boost in your apps. Even though it would probably be honest to do so (especially on those applications whose "Hispanic" section specifically includes Spanish , of which there are many), it doesn't matter unless you are Puerto Rican or Mexican. No "other Hispanics" are given any AA boost whatsoever. A good Diversity Statement is considered a "strong soft," but I'm not sure if a 1/4 Spanish heritage provides you the opportunity to generate one.
Last edited by rgndvo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Apparently the US Census Bureau, as of the 2010 Census, asks individuals if they are "of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin" and count "yes" respondents as Hispanic. That sounds like something you'd answer yes to, since you're of Spanish origin.

(Source: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... stion.html)

What I'd ask is, what have you been identifying with? Put that. But if you do choose to identify as Hispanic, just explain your answer in a DS/addendum. That way you're being clear about it.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Necromancing this thread.

I am 1/2 Spaniard/Cuban (mixed) and 1/2 white. I have normally checked Hispanic and White for most application matters, but now that I am applying for jobs/the bar/etc. I want to make sure it is entirely correct. I have a VERY Spanish last name, and, having grown up in Miami, identify with Spanish culture, but I want to be sure I am checking things off correctly.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Necromancing this thread.

I am 1/2 Spaniard/Cuban (mixed) and 1/2 white. I have normally checked Hispanic and White for most application matters, but now that I am applying for jobs/the bar/etc. I want to make sure it is entirely correct. I have a VERY Spanish last name, and, having grown up in Miami, identify with Spanish culture, but I want to be sure I am checking things off correctly.
Pretty sure no one will ever call you out for not being "hispanic" enough. This is basically just a question of what you choose to identify with.

You're basically the opposite of me though. I'm 100% Cuban-American (of mostly Spanish ancestry) and have a fairly uncommon last name. People here in California never know what to make of me as far as ethnicity is concerned.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:48 pm

chimp wrote:

Pretty sure no one will ever call you out for not being "hispanic" enough. This is basically just a question of what you choose to identify with.

You're basically the opposite of me though. I'm 100% Cuban-American (of mostly Spanish ancestry) and have a fairly uncommon last name. People here in California never know what to make of me as far as ethnicity is concerned.
I mean, I absolutely identify with both. I don't even think it works to my benefit because I have invariably chosen both whenever asked, but I just wanted to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
chimp wrote:

I mean, I absolutely identify with both. I don't even think it works to my benefit because I have invariably chosen both whenever asked, but I just wanted to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
You could probably walk into a police station and ask for a cop to identify you.

Depending where you do this, you might get a very good description or a jail cell for the night.

THE POSSIBILITIES MAKE IT WORTHWHILE.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
chimp wrote:

Not sure if there's a right answer here. My cousin's half Cuban, half English or something and he identifies with his Cuban side quite a bit. I don't think it would be disingenuous to identify yourself as hispanic on job apps and stuff seeing as how hispanic isn't a race. Nor is it verifiable, so it's just more of a cultural thing. You should be fine IMO.

Kidist

New

Post by Kidist » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Last edited by Kidist on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Kidist wrote:To be honest, I don't think your background qualifies as an URM. You could probably get away with it with few problems, but its a bit disingenuous and kinda manipulating the system.
Cubans are not a URM in law.

HTH.

avd90

Bronze

Post by avd90 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm

sfamor wrote:Wondering if I can check the Hispanic box along with White... I am 1/4 Spanish (2 Great-grandparents were born in Spain, moved separately to Mexico as children, met and married there and eventually moved to the U.S.). Most people I've spoken to have said that I definitely should not be checking Hispanic and that I am just European American mix. For the most part I agree with them, but I was raised with my Grandpa who is the one who is 100% Spanish and I identify strongly with that culture. I learned Spanish and English at the same time as a child and my family name is Garcia. I don't want to misrepresent myself and am leaning strongly toward not checking Hispanic, but thought I'd throw it out there...
Hispanic is not a race, remember that. You can't really check white (non-hispanic), honestly. You need to be 1/4, and technically if they have Mexican citizenship I believe you can check Mexican, which is URM

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

What did you put on your application for undergrad? Consistency would be important for C&F.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Adam and Eve were probably of Middle-Eastern descent so I check 'of Eastern origin' on my apps. So far it has gotten me HYS with 132/2.3 but out at Catholic, Notre Dame and Regent.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm 1/4 Chinese. I don't know anything about Chinese culture because I never met my grandfather, who is 100% Chinese. I always tell people I'm part Chinese so I would definitely account for your 25%.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Adam and Eve were probably of Middle-Eastern descent so I check 'of Eastern origin' on my apps. So far it has gotten me HYS with 132/2.3 but out at Catholic, Notre Dame and Regent.
I don't believe you.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Because Hispanic is not a race in my Law School Apps I disclosed South American. It probably helps that I was born in South America.

But honestly, both the OP and the reviver of this thread seem to be looking for a boost and in that case I'd warn against doing it, if only because if this is the first time you'll be checking the "Hispanic" box you're going to raise a lot of eyebrows. But also because integrity goes a long way and you lose a lot of it when you do things like try to get a boost out of the most minimal of consequences.

The fact that you needed a paragraph to explain your hispanic origin should be a huge red flag to yourself that perhaps you shouldn't check it.

/rant

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”