Which schools want Diversity Statements?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
LaCumparsita

Which schools want Diversity Statements?

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 am

I'm confused about when it's appropriate/wise to submit a diversity statement with my application... I was going to send a PS and DS to all the schools I'm applying to, but now I hear I should only send one if the application specifically mentions the possibility. For example, Chicago almost sounds like it doesn't want one:

"We do not ask for a diversity statement or additional essays because we believe that the personal statement is an appropriate place for you discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation) that you think are relevant to your application. If you find that you absolutely cannot convey the necessary information in your personal statement, you may submit an additional statement.

Remember that the Committee is looking for you to demonstrate skills that you will need in law school. We want to see that you can communicate your message in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda detract from a clear and concise message."

What do I do?

Rock-N-Roll

Re: Which schools want Diversity Statements?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:56 am

You're overthinking this. I think what you quoted from Uchi was pretty clear in that from their point of view it would be ideal to be concise and include diversity information in the PS. But not all schools feel this way, and therefore the answer to your question probably can best be found in each school's application instructions. Good luck.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 am

My two cents: DS statements are overrated. Work your diversity into your PS. I am a URM and I worked my diversity statement into my PS and got accepted to several T14s. I was even offered a diversity scholarship or two based off that PS.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:05 pm

shoeshine wrote:My two cents: DS statements are overrated. Work your diversity into your PS. I am a URM and I worked my diversity statement into my PS and got accepted to several T14s. I was even offered a diversity scholarship or two based off that PS.

this was my experience too.

that said, there are theoretically PS's that don't relate at all to your background...but most you can tie in some how. it doesn't have to emphasize racial/diverse aspects of your background, but being able to weave your background into a coherent essay about an experience is generally not that tough.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

I disagree with the above posters. Think of the application as an interview. Would you not answer the optional interview question (ie the diversity essay and/or why x school essay)? Of course you want to answer the optional interview question. Use an aspect of yourself that wouldn't have been covered in your PS for your DS. Don't duplicate information, but use all the essay options to answer the "optional interview questions." Give admissions another well-written writing sample. It won't hurt.

Moomoo2u

Postby Moomoo2u » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:52 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:I disagree with the above posters. Think of the application as an interview. Would you not answer the optional interview question (ie the diversity essay and/or why x school essay)? Of course you want to answer the optional interview question. Use an aspect of yourself that wouldn't have been covered in your PS for your DS. Don't duplicate information, but use all the essay options to answer the "optional interview questions." Give admissions another well-written writing sample. It won't hurt.

+1

Unless the school specifies almost all of them take DSes, I even called Mich who doesn't specifically have it on their essays and they said yes we accept them.

TL:DR write it, send it to all schools who don't explicitly say not to.

stilltheoriginal

Postby stilltheoriginal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 pm

All of them. Seriously. If you don't write one, it's like cutting a point or two off your GPA.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:01 am

stilltheoriginal wrote:All of them. Seriously. If you don't write one, it's like cutting a point or two off your GPA.

no.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 am

dkt4 wrote:
stilltheoriginal wrote:All of them. Seriously. If you don't write one, it's like cutting a point or two off your GPA.

no.

thats extreme... if you dont write them, then youre making a mistake, but it wont translate to points off your gpa.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”