Facial Deformity or Mixed for Diversity Statement

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawschool?s

Facial Deformity or Mixed for Diversity Statement

Postby lawschool?s » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:27 am

I am a law school hopeful and I was just pre planning out what I want for my diversity statement and personal statement.

My ethnic background I would be considered Asian, White, and Hispanic-Other, but I was also born with a facial deformity that I could talk about.

I actually wrote about my facial deformity for my diversity statement to get into undergrad, but I would thinking about using it for my personal statement and then using my mixed background for a diversity statement. Would that work or does it seem redundant like I am so unique blah blah blah?

What topic would be better for a diversity statement and would I be able to use my facial deformity for my personal statement and mixed background for my diversity statement?

Thanks.

whirledpeas86

Re: Facial Deformity or Mixed for Diversity Statement

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 am

Would you be able to combine your facial deformity and racial background into one DS, perhaps talking about how these things contributed to feelings of "otherness"? I really think it's important for at least one of your DS or PS to relate to why you're interested in law school, even if you don't explicitly mention it.

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:50 am

Talk about how the facial deformity facilitated your personal development into (for example) a nonjudgmental person. Ideally, you want to use everything at your disposal. Your multiracial background is a good soft; use that in the DS. The facial deformity sounds like good personal statement material, irrespective of whether you follow my advice above.

Good luck. :]

P.S.: What are your numbers?
Last edited by rgndvo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:59 pm

3.60 from a Top 50 National Undergrad and a 162.

I was contemplating a re-take, but I really don't know if I can do better and if I should take the chance. I am not one of those guys who scores 170 on their practice tests.

rgndvo

Postby rgndvo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 pm

I would go for the retake. Even if you don't think there is much of a chance of your doing better, it's worth a stab. Schools are only required to report the top LSAT score to the ABA -- that's what affects their rankings. Consequently, one would expect that they attach much more weight to your highest score than your average. Retake: you have much more to gain than lose.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”