2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
danitt

Gold

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Post by danitt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:Just received $135k from Berkeley.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Is that not a good thing?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 pm

danitt wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
I just wasn't expecting any where NEAR that money.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
danitt wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Has it made your decision harder or were you going somewhere else regardless?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

danitt wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:
danitt wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Has it made your decision harder or were you going somewhere else regardless?
I wasn't even considering Berkeley before this. I will almost certainly be attending now :)

whenwin

New

Post by whenwin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 pm

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Sick. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

randyv

New

Post by randyv » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

$135K is friggin' amazing. Congratulations.

...So I've spent a considerable amount of time spying on this forum since it was only about 17 pages long. My cycle below. Gotta say I'm pretty pleased considering I hadn't decided to apply to law school until January (and used pretty generic recommendations that were initially intended for other non-law programs.)

IN
Temple
Howard
Earle Mack (Drexel)
Case Western
William and Mary
University of Maryland
Northeastern

OUT
Chicago
Yale
Minnesota

Waitlist
Penn
NYU
Wash & Lee

Waiting
Stanford, Columbia and 6 more out of 21 total.

I got a little fee waiver happy when applying. I'll probably be going to Temple unless the admissions teams of one of the remaining 8 have a collective brain fart and admit me with (nearly) full scholarship.

Congratulations to folks on many an awesome cycle and good luck to folks waiting.

tiger11

New

Post by tiger11 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Just checking in. That's AMAZING!!! Congrats!!!

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

whenwin wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Sick. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Go to Berkeley! Have fun in that great weather for me!

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am

Cuban American checking in. Cycle is nearly complete with my KB2 yesterday. Full list is in the profile. Congrats to everyone else.

Disclaimer: I know I'm not technically a URM. But it is foolish to think that being Cuban didn't have some impact on my cycle. I checked here first when I found TLS, and I'm sure it is the same for many other Cubans lurking on this forum. Leaving this for them.

Congrats to all!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:53 am

Syme wrote:Cuban American checking in. Cycle is nearly complete with my KB2 yesterday. Full list is in the profile. Congrats to everyone else.

Disclaimer: I know I'm not technically a URM. But it is foolish to think that being Cuban didn't have some impact on my cycle. I checked here first when I found TLS, and I'm sure it is the same for many other Cubans lurking on this forum. Leaving this for them.

Congrats to all!
CONGRATS on Harvard and an amazing cycle!!! :) Where are you going?!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Syme wrote:Cuban American checking in. Cycle is nearly complete with my KB2 yesterday. Full list is in the profile. Congrats to everyone else.

Congrats to all!
Felicidades asere! That's great to hear. Enjoy it.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Puerto Rican here.

I targeted only schools in my state (minus two out-of-state that I applied to for fun very late in the cycle) and was accepted or waitlisted at each of them.

I was awarded a fellowship (with full scholarship) at GA State University that sealed the deal for me... I had no intention of leaving Atlanta and all I ever really wanted was to know that a school really wanted me and would take good care of me.

I can't wait to earn my degree, start my career, and one day take it back to the island- with 0 debt! :))))

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Geneva wrote:

Congrats to all!
CONGRATS on Harvard and an amazing cycle!!! :) Where are you going?!
99.99% sure I'm going to Harvard.

vincanity1 wrote:Felicidades asere! That's great to hear. Enjoy it.
Thanks brother! Congrats on that NYU $$$.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:12 pm

So when are the rest of us getting into Harvard? Not sure why on earth people are being placed on hold in April instead of waitlisted. Is a hold an almost guaranteed waitlist/acceptance or are some URMs held and then rejected?

My original goal was to get into 1 T10 school and to be waitlisted at Harvard, Yale or Stanford, so I really have nothing to complain about either way:-)

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Geneva wrote:So when are the rest of us getting into Harvard? Not sure why on earth people are being placed on hold in April instead of waitlisted. Is a hold an almost guaranteed waitlist/acceptance or are some URMs held and then rejected?

My original goal was to get into 1 T10 school and to be waitlisted at Harvard, Yale or Stanford, so I really have nothing to complain about either way:-)

lol isn't it funny when you surpass your original goal and then u want more...the law school thirst..a year ago i would have been fine with Cornell..but now im practically killing myself trying to get into HYS

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Geneva wrote:So when are the rest of us getting into Harvard? Not sure why on earth people are being placed on hold in April instead of waitlisted. Is a hold an almost guaranteed waitlist/acceptance or are some URMs held and then rejected?

lol isn't it funny when you surpass your original goal and then u want more...the law school thirst..a year ago i would have been fine with Cornell..but now im practically killing myself trying to get into HYS
Haha so true. I cringe to admit this, but I almost started to question law school itself shortly after getting the thumbs up from Stanford. So crazy!

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Congrats to all!
Profiles like this really surprise me. This guy has seemingly auto-admit numbers. When did you go complete? It seems like it took Harvard awhile to accept Syme (assuming that Syme applied in the fall). This also makes me wonder if a good gpa from a top private > a good gpa from a large state > good gpa everywhere else.

Dake!

New

Post by Dake! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

----
Last edited by Dake! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lsdream

Bronze

Post by lsdream » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 pm

My cycle is over - headed to UChicago. Good luck all.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

This is by far the best ATL article I have seen: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/04/the-bayl ... olarships/

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Dake! wrote:Choice down to two:
Michigan ($$$) or Harvard
That's awesome. What are your life plans? What are you thinking?

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:Profiles like this really surprise me. This guy has seemingly auto-admit numbers. When did you go complete? It seems like it took Harvard awhile to accept Syme (assuming that Syme applied in the fall). This also makes me wonder if a good gpa from a top private > a good gpa from a large state > good gpa everywhere else.
I would imagine that this is at least partly true if you hold variables like undergrad major constant. There is a good amount of anecdotal and statistical (at least based on LSN) evidence that undergrad prestige can play a role, especially if you're talking about admissions at YHSCCN.

Just checking in. Wanted to send serious congrats to FryBreadPower on the Berkeley $$$, Vincanity on the An-Bryce, and Syme on the KB2!! Great to see people having such success.

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

JS1

You have got to be kidding me, just when i was sold on stanford

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:

Congrats to all!
Profiles like this really surprise me. This guy has seemingly auto-admit numbers. When did you go complete? It seems like it took Harvard awhile to accept Syme (assuming that Syme applied in the fall). This also makes me wonder if a good gpa from a top private > a good gpa from a large state > good gpa everywhere else.
I submitted on 1/18.

I know my LSAT is pretty epic, but I would hardly call my GPA auto admit for Harvard. I am amazed I got in, especially coming from a large, non-prestigious university in the Midwest. Fully expecting a ding from Stanford to finish my cycle.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Syme wrote:
Yaaaas2013 wrote:

Congrats to all!
I submitted on 1/18.

I know my LSAT is pretty epic, but I would hardly call my GPA auto admit for Harvard. I am amazed I got in, especially coming from a large, non-prestigious university in the Midwest. Fully expecting a ding from Stanford to finish my cycle.
Sweetheart... when combined with that LSAT, your GPA is (clearly) more than sufficient. It makes you a splitter by Harvard standards, sure, but I mean you're not like a 3.6/177 splitter. You're sitting at 75% LSAT, and JUST below 25% GPA. Anyways, not trying to steal your excitement, but just to say that you have NO reason to have a defeatist "if I wasn't Cuban I wouldn't have gotten in" mentality. You've earned your successes so far :) But yeah, congrats to you!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”