2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
vincanity1

Silver
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby vincanity1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:13 am

Justdoingmybest wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Justdoingmybest wrote:Random Question

How long did it take you all to write your PS? From the time you wrote your first draft, till the final draft.
How many revisions did you do?


All summer, really. I think that's probably overkill but I believe you should submit it, knowing you gave your all. I revised it numerous times and what I ended up with looked nothing like the original. It really depends on your background and story but the grammar, lexis and structure should be flawless.

Run it by as many people as possible and take criticisms in stride. Good luck.


If your PS turned out great its not overkill. I have a good idea of where I'm heading, i'm just trying to make it sound more 'professional' and less story-like. Its funny i walk around my apartment reading out loud to make sure it sounds right. My roommates prob think I'm crazy.


I don't think "story-like" is necessarily a bad thing for a PS

User avatar
Blessedassurance

Gold
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 am

vincanity1 wrote:
Justdoingmybest wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Justdoingmybest wrote:Random Question

How long did it take you all to write your PS? From the time you wrote your first draft, till the final draft.
How many revisions did you do?


All summer, really. I think that's probably overkill but I believe you should submit it, knowing you gave your all. I revised it numerous times and what I ended up with looked nothing like the original. It really depends on your background and story but the grammar, lexis and structure should be flawless.

Run it by as many people as possible and take criticisms in stride. Good luck.


If your PS turned out great its not overkill. I have a good idea of where I'm heading, i'm just trying to make it sound more 'professional' and less story-like. Its funny i walk around my apartment reading out loud to make sure it sounds right. My roommates prob think I'm crazy.


I don't think "story-like" is necessarily a bad thing for a PS


+1

If you have a compelling story, let it speak for itself. You have to be "professional" with regards to grammar and stuff but your story is the money-maker. You can write about anything and make it compelling enough for people to read. I mean Moby Dick is about a Whale for God's sake.

User avatar
Justdoingmybest

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 pm

2 days have gone by and I think my PS and DS are actually coming along.

ESWIM

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby ESWIM » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 pm

checking in. WIll be taking the december LSAT, applying to all t-14 and all schools in boston, nyc and dc.

LSAC GPA-3.49
LSAT-December

Working on reccs and essays now

Good Luck to everyone applying!

User avatar
Justdoingmybest

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:32 pm

ESWIM wrote:checking in. WIll be taking the december LSAT, applying to all t-14 and all schools in boston, nyc and dc.

LSAC GPA-3.49
LSAT-December

Working on reccs and essays now

Good Luck to everyone applying!



Good luck studying

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:39 am

Wondering if anybody would be willing to give my PS a read? I promise it wont put you to sleep.

spek

Bronze
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby spek » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 am

Just wanted to update and say I got into Duke PT earlier today.

bruss

Bronze
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby bruss » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 am

spek wrote:Just wanted to update and say I got into Duke PT earlier today.

congrats!

spek

Bronze
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby spek » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:14 pm

bruss wrote:
spek wrote:Just wanted to update and say I got into Duke PT earlier today.

congrats!


Thanks :)

User avatar
Justdoingmybest

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:33 pm

spek wrote:Just wanted to update and say I got into Duke PT earlier today.


Congrats. Happy for You

User avatar
Angrygeopolitically

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:
spek wrote:Just wanted to update and say I got into Duke PT earlier today.


Congrats. Happy for You


+1!!

spek

Bronze
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby spek » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks! Hope we'll start seeing more action in this thread soon.

Dani.B

Bronze
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Dani.B » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 am

Checking in...

AA/female
3.89
165,162
top tier private university

Applied
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago
Virginia
NYU
Texas-Austin
Berkeley
UPenn
Stanford

Working on:

Mich
Yale
Georgetown

Maybe later lol
USC
UCLA
Emory
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Bost U

shooting high, i hear back from duke in 15 days PT, and they will dictate whether i shoot out more apps
Last edited by Dani.B on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vincanity1

Silver
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

Dani.B wrote:Checking in...

AA/female
3.89
165,162
top tier private university

Applied
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago
Virginia
NYU
Texas-Austin
Berkeley

shooting high, i hear back from duke in 15 days PT, and they will dictate whether i shoot out more apps


Add Yale and Stanford regardless. With URM cycles, you can't take other schools decisions as perfect indicators. Oh, and enjoy hys

Dani.B

Bronze
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Dani.B » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:40 am

vincanity1 wrote:
Dani.B wrote:Checking in...

AA/female
3.89
165,162
top tier private university

Applied
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago
Virginia
NYU
Texas-Austin
Berkeley

shooting high, i hear back from duke in 15 days PT, and they will dictate whether i shoot out more apps


Add Yale and Stanford regardless. With URM cycles, you can't take other schools decisions as perfect indicators. Oh, and enjoy hys


:shock: Really . I just have a hard time seeing how I can get into HYS if duke doesn't want me. But I'll take your advice and add them to the list. thank you

Mitterrand

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Mitterrand » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 am

Dani.B wrote:Checking in...

AA/female
3.89
165,162
top tier private university

Applied
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago
Virginia
NYU
Texas-Austin
Berkeley

shooting high, i hear back from duke in 15 days PT, and they will dictate whether i shoot out more apps


I'm similar, AA Male 166 3.8. Good luck!

Dani.B

Bronze
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Dani.B » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Mitterrand wrote:
Dani.B wrote:Checking in...

AA/female
3.89
165,162
top tier private university

Applied
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
Chicago
Virginia
NYU
Texas-Austin
Berkeley

shooting high, i hear back from duke in 15 days PT, and they will dictate whether i shoot out more apps


I'm similar, AA Male 166 3.8. Good luck!


thanks! Good luck to you too :D

User avatar
Cookie2

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Cookie2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Checking in.
AA Female 3.55 163, 173

Good luck everyone!

planeride

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby planeride » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm

I thought there were only supposed to be a handful of strong AA applicants each year. This thread alone is loaded with them. Nobody else post here, it's too scary/depressing!

horrorbusiness

Silver
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:23 pm

update, got my oct lsat.

3.37, 167. Mexican urm.

right now, i'm thinking about ED'ing UCLA, then ED'ing G-town if that doesn't work out. Also will be sending early apps to UT, USC, and cornell..

any thoughts??

User avatar
Justdoingmybest

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Justdoingmybest » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:update, got my oct lsat.

3.37, 167. Mexican urm.

right now, i'm thinking about ED'ing UCLA, then ED'ing G-town if that doesn't work out. Also will be sending early apps to UT, USC, and cornell..

any thoughts??


What school do you really want to go to?

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Checking in as well

AA male
3.9/165 (Oct)

Applying
HYS
CCN
Penn, Berkeley, Cornell, UCLA

good luck to everyone in this cycle. Let's do big thangs!!!

hownowbrowncow

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby hownowbrowncow » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:43 am

--
Last edited by hownowbrowncow on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardnerofEden

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby GardnerofEden » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Checking in. This is my first post on this entire forum actually.

Cuban/Mexican
3.2 168
Applying to the entire T14 except HYS, Duke, and NU
Also applying to WUSTL, Vandy, UCLA, ND, and Fordham

Hoping to get into CCN but I doubt i'll make it. I'll likely go to the best school I get into.


Good luck everyone!

serdog

Bronze
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby serdog » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Dani.B wrote: :shock: Really . I just have a hard time seeing how I can get into HYS if duke doesn't want me. But I'll take your advice and add them to the list. thank you

Cycle are odd, I ended up desisting to do my JD in Canada, from ever I was out right rejected by every T14 other then Cornell and Columbia(I was waitlist until aug and rejected) so one really can't tell

I LOVE UVIC for anyone that wondering from last cycle and very happy I'm attending here



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2000andBeyond and 1 guest