2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby amc987 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm

IN at NYU and Cornell. Awesomesauce.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 pm

In at NYU (Cuban)

Dani.B
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Dani.B » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 pm

In at NYU! yes my status changed to decision letter sent

MAapplicant
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby MAapplicant » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:16 pm

In at Cornell! :D Waitlisted at UCLA.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Congrats to everyone that got acceptances today. For those that got into NYU, when did you guys submit?

User avatar
Justdoingmybest
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Justdoingmybest » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Congrats to everyone that got acceptances today. For those that got into NYU, when did you guys submit?


I don't think acceptances were released based on submission dates but rather Under review dates. I think most who heard back were under review on or before 11/17.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby amc987 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Congrats to everyone that got acceptances today. For those that got into NYU, when did you guys submit?


I submitted 10/27 and was UR 11/9. I'm sure good news will be on it's way to you soon, Sh@keNB@ke. And congrats on Berkeley! That's awesome. I'd love to get in there.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 pm

in at cornell! my first acceptance of this cycle.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:Congrats to everyone that got acceptances today. For those that got into NYU, when did you guys submit?


10/4

Dani.B
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:34 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Dani.B » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 am

horrorbusiness wrote:in at cornell! my first acceptance of this cycle.


Yayy!! how exciting!

and I admitted to NYU 10/26

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby boosk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:07 pm

The T6 miracle happens...

in at NYU today, thank god Penn rejected my ED app haha

AS33
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby AS33 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

boosk wrote:The T6 miracle happens...

in at NYU today, thank god Penn rejected my ED app haha


Congrats!!! I really wish NYU would accept me :( (UR since 11/14); but with a 164 I think I can kiss that dream goodbye...

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby horrorbusiness » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:54 pm

boosk wrote:The T6 miracle happens...

in at NYU today, thank god Penn rejected my ED app haha


hell yeah, congrats man!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby JustE » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:51 am

Congrats to everyone! 3.21/166, AA male here. Still haven't heard back from anywhere. Starting to wonder just how much my GPA is hurting me...

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 am

Guchster wrote:Are you guys applying to SEO?

Do it!


Have they started interviewing etc?

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm

AS33 wrote:
boosk wrote:The T6 miracle happens...

in at NYU today, thank god Penn rejected my ED app haha


Congrats!!! I really wish NYU would accept me :( (UR since 11/14); but with a 164 I think I can kiss that dream goodbye...


Idk, I would say never give up hope.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby 1212 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Guchster wrote:Are you guys applying to SEO?

Do it!


Have they started interviewing etc?


I am interested in this too! I am wondering if my PI-focused PS is going to kill me though.

@Guchster, did you do the internship? Is it awesome?

jadoreGLACE
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby jadoreGLACE » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:41 am

AA/Female
Top Tier Private New England University / HBCU (transfer student, personal not academic reasons)
History Major
3.7x/15x (waiting on December LSAT scores however)
Interested in Public Interest Law

STRONG SOFTS
-Demonstrated commitment to public service (i.e.: 7months+ congressional internship)
-Rigorous research-based internships
-3 Strong LORs (2 academic, 1 employer)
-Great PS and DS (received AMAZING feedback from a T6 admissions director)
-Working 30hours/week during academic year to pay for school
-Socioeconomic disadvantage

ALSO
-Have been in close contact w/ admissions directors from my top schools
-GREAT On-Campus interviews w/ Georgetown/Duke; STELLAR Vanderbilt interview

APPLYING TO:
UCLA (FW) (Epstein Program)
Berkeley
Stanford
UT
Georgetown
Michigan (FW)
Duke (FW)
Vanderbilt
LSU (FW)
Tulane
Maryland
Harvard
NYU (RTK/AnBryce Scholarships)


BTW, I am so HAPPY to hear about everyone's acceptances!
After reading all of your posts, I am thinking two things:
1) I wish I would have submitted PRIOR to Thanksgiving.
2) I am also EXTREMELY nervous about my LSAT score...really hoping this process is as holistic as holistic can be :-/


Please share your feedback! :) Happy Holidays!

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Former OL just dropping in to congratulate you all on some nice acceptances! More are soon to come! Also, if anyone has any specific questions about UVA, I'd be more than happy to give you my thoughts on my experience here so far.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:37 pm

1212 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Guchster wrote:Are you guys applying to SEO?

Do it!


Have they started interviewing etc?


I am interested in this too! I am wondering if my PI-focused PS is going to kill me though.

@Guchster, did you do the internship? Is it awesome?


Not sure about interviews, you should contact them about any info regarding the process this year. In terms of last year, I know people who were interviewed from Dec.- Mar. I did it last year, and It's is incredible opportunity for networking and getting ahead on the law school process. Even though it's competitive, people should apply for it anyway. You come in to LS with you're head around the law school game (and it takes your classmates until the end of Nov. to catch up to you). You know more about firms, the work they do, and how to navigate the law firm applications/interview/call back/resume process that your classmates won't get until their 2L/3L years. The only drawback is its frustrating because you're so far ahead of everyone that the only people you can talk with about this stuff (until your classmates catch up) are your fellow SEO alumns!

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Guchster wrote:
1212 wrote:Not sure about interviews, you should contact them about any info regarding the process this year. In terms of last year, I know people who were interviewed from Dec.- Mar. I did it last year, and It's is incredible opportunity for networking and getting ahead on the law school process. Even though it's competitive, people should apply for it anyway. You come in to LS with you're head around the law school game (and it takes your classmates until the end of Nov. to catch up to you). You know more about firms, the work they do, and how to navigate the law firm applications/interview/call back/resume process that your classmates won't get until their 2L/3L years. The only drawback is its frustrating because you're so far ahead of everyone that the only people you can talk with about this stuff (until your classmates catch up) are your fellow SEO alumns!


How was the interview process? Does your choice of location on the application affect the probability of getting matched?

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Guchster wrote:
1212 wrote:Not sure about interviews, you should contact them about any info regarding the process this year. In terms of last year, I know people who were interviewed from Dec.- Mar. I did it last year, and It's is incredible opportunity for networking and getting ahead on the law school process. Even though it's competitive, people should apply for it anyway. You come in to LS with you're head around the law school game (and it takes your classmates until the end of Nov. to catch up to you). You know more about firms, the work they do, and how to navigate the law firm applications/interview/call back/resume process that your classmates won't get until their 2L/3L years. The only drawback is its frustrating because you're so far ahead of everyone that the only people you can talk with about this stuff (until your classmates catch up) are your fellow SEO alumns!


How was the interview process? Does your choice of location on the application affect the probability of getting matched?


SEO acts like an employer would've--they'll only place you at a firm that would have hired you in the first place. I go to LS in NY and wanted to work in an NY firm, so I was placed in an NY (which is why they won't accept you until you tell them where you're going). If you're school is right for the market (and most upper T-14s can place just about anywhere w. the exception of certain markets), then they'll probs. listen to you. Yet, you have to remember that they're only working with what firms ask of them, so there could be less need than desire.

Interview is like a regular tough job interview. Search for the SEO thread. There is plenty in there about people's interview experiences.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby vincanity1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Just curious because of all this SEO stuff, what's so attractive about it? I went to an info session when I was a Fresh in college, but I forgot most of it. Also, I'm quite lazy and the idea of a non-essential program forces me into a fetal position

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby 1212 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Former OL just dropping in to congratulate you all on some nice acceptances! More are soon to come! Also, if anyone has any specific questions about UVA, I'd be more than happy to give you my thoughts on my experience here so far.


Thanks for the congrats!! How did you decide on UVA? Is there anything you know now that you wish you took into account? I am worried about the feasibility of going to all the ASWs and am wondering what factors other people take into account when selecting their school.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 URM Application Cycle

Postby 1212 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Guchster wrote:
1212 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Guchster wrote:Are you guys applying to SEO?

Do it!


Have they started interviewing etc?


I am interested in this too! I am wondering if my PI-focused PS is going to kill me though.

@Guchster, did you do the internship? Is it awesome?


Not sure about interviews, you should contact them about any info regarding the process this year. In terms of last year, I know people who were interviewed from Dec.- Mar. I did it last year, and It's is incredible opportunity for networking and getting ahead on the law school process. Even though it's competitive, people should apply for it anyway. You come in to LS with you're head around the law school game (and it takes your classmates until the end of Nov. to catch up to you). You know more about firms, the work they do, and how to navigate the law firm applications/interview/call back/resume process that your classmates won't get until their 2L/3L years. The only drawback is its frustrating because you're so far ahead of everyone that the only people you can talk with about this stuff (until your classmates catch up) are your fellow SEO alumns!



That is awesome!!! Where did you get placed (if you feel comfortable sharing)? Was it your first choice?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LSRAT and 6 guests